.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Saturday, August 20, 2016

Common, Symptomless Dental Root Tip Infections Contribute to Heart Ailments

It was certainly different having my wife Jack home all of last evening, and she cooked a grand feast.

But it was a fairly late night ─ when she finally went to bed, it had to have been about 1:15 a.m. at very least before I was also settled in.

As usual, sleep was initially decent.  By daybreak, however, it had become very broken.

Then when I sensed Jack rising and heard her leave the bedroom, shutting the door, I knew that she was likely up so that she could drive her youngest son Pote to work over at Guildford.

I rose too, and was soon at work trying to get as much done as possible on the post that I've been toiling upon since Monday at my Lawless Spirit website.

The post is still unfinished, darn it.  Maybe I will be fortunate to have it completed and published by tomorrow.

Jack did a little more cooking this morning; and then around 11:30 a.m. or soon thereafter, I saw her off.  I have no idea where she was bound, but she said that she would most likely be back tomorrow.

There was no token good-bye kiss ─ there hasn't been one for probably better than a couple of weeks.

Or those over with now too?

She still plans to go to Thailand to see her mother, probably in October.  She asked me again if I wanted to come along, but I declined, and cited the need for me to concern myself with the monthly mortgage payment.

For the first time since back in the Spring, Pote contributed $140 towards the $1,600 payment that will probably be debited from my chequing account on Monday, but tomorrow I will have to ensure that I transfer some of the remaining RRSP redemption I applied for back in June.

I had redeemed $2,500; but of course, $250 of that immediately went towards income taxation.

So of the $2,250 the redemption netted me, I presently have about $500 remaining.

Pote's $140 contribution put the chequing account at about $1,605, but I will be getting out tomorrow to buy myself a bottle of rum.  And there is a cheque in the mail as a $200 payment (due on Monday for a credit card).

Thus, I will need to ensure first that I transfer over about $300 of the $500.

Why the heck can't I come into some decent cash and be done with this constant worry?

Anyway, it's another hot sunny day.

At 12:14 p.m., I commenced just over an hour of sunning on the backyard sundeck.

It is 2:23 p.m. at present, and I am home alone.  I can't imagine having anything else to report concerning the day at this point.


My younger brother Mark and I had always believed that our great grandfather had been a sheriff in North Dakota.

We never knew any details, though.  In fact, we never even knew his first name.

Well, not more than about two weeks ago, I came across a snippet of information that was supposedly derived from page 228 of a book titled Langdon, ND Centennial Edition 1888-1988:
George Barcelo went fra [sic] Montreal to Winnipeg where in April 1879 he married Sarah Ann Bird, who was closely related to members of the Hudson Bay Company's board of directors.

Bird's Hill Park and several streets in Winnipeg were named for members of her family. In 1884 they moved to Olga, ND where their friendship with the Dorval family began.

In 1888 they came to Langdon where George became part of the courthouse staff. he was also a customs officer for the port of Elkwood, ND. Sarah died in 1905 and George then married Ermine Deschamp of Montreal, where he had family ties. He died in 1916 shortly after Ermine's death. George and Sarah had 18 children, seven of whom died young. None of the others remained in the area.    
So Sarah Ann Bird was our great grandmother ─ I never knew that.

And as I pointed out to Mark, if she was from the Winnipeg area back then, what are the odds that she would not have been Métis?

It doesn't seem that George was ever actually a sheriff, though.

I find it intriguing that my grandfather had 17 siblings, even if seven of them did die young!


I want to post a photo from an album belonging to my younger brother Mark.  I had to scan the photo from the album into which it is glued.

The description beneath the image is from the Google album where I have the scan filed:

This photo is likely from 1974, and was taken at the Surrey home my younger brother Mark rented with his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther and her two young daughters.

It is so long ago now, but I think the house may have been located along 144th Street, above 108th Avenue.

I remember that the rather deep ravine of a creek was at the rear of the backyard; and the only creek I can see on any Google map is Bon Accord Creek.

There was some form of party happening, and I know that a role-playing game appeared to be a feature.

In this photo, Mark's friend of the time ─ Al Cotts ─ is holding a huge Texas mickey.  Whether or not he is actually taking a drink is something I cannot tell you.

Just recently I posted a little on this very topic, but I want to do so again ─ I have a somewhat trepid interest in it.

The topic concerns a Finnish study that was apparently published on July 27:  Association of Endodontic Lesions with Coronary Artery Disease (doi: 10.1177/0022034516660509).

That link is to the abstract ─ the general public has to pay a fee to access the full article (although I accessed it as an eight-page .plf document after a search at Sci-Hub.ac).

I have three reports on that study, but I will list this one first because I am somewhat uncertain about a statement early into it:

It states this:
According to the researchers, infections of the root tip of a tooth are very common—about one in four Finns suffered from at least one in the study group—and are often unnoticed by patients, as they can be present without obvious symptoms.
And then the very next paragraph carries this statistic:
Although there is a great deal of research on the connection between oral infections and many common chronic diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes, periapical periodontitis has been investigated relatively little in this context. In the recent study, 58 per cent of the patients, who presented with symptoms requiring examination via coronary angiogram, had one or more such inflammatory lesions.
One in four Finns "in the study group" suffering at least one dental root tip infection is not 58%.

Or did the first quote involve an entirely unrelated group of Finns than those 508 patients with various heart problems that the second quote speaks of?

If the first quote is saying that 25% of a random population of Finns who were studied were revealed to have dental root tip infections, then that claim likely extends to humanity worldwide.

As is said, these infections are often unnoticed by the person with the hidden infection, as there are no obvious symptoms.

Thus, it's not impossible that 25% of those of us reading this have such a dental root tip infection.

And if 58% of any population of people who actually have heart problems are suffering known or unknown dental root tip infections, then that is a most telling statistic ─ these infections are most likely behind the cardiac ailments.

That's troubling.

Here are the other two reports on the study:

Root canals are presented as the means of being rid of the dental root tip infection (periapical periodontitis).

But there is plenty of science indicating that root canals in themselves can lead to similar infection:

I'm not interested in visiting a mainstream dentist ─ it's only going to be a reputable holistic dentist for me!


It is time now for me to close out with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the room in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.
WEDNESDAY, August 20, 1975

I arose at 9:15 a.m. with a silly dream.  I was sitting with 2 guys to my left who seemed both different versions of Al Cotts, while some girl was before me.  Apparently Mary was being persuaded by some guy to go to a movie on his motorbike (though it appeared to be wintry); the girl ahead of me was her good friend.  She got Mary to come over and tried to convince her the guy was married and just starting his 20s; I tried and so did the first Al (Mary belonged to the silent second Al), but Mary became furious, insulted us on our juvenility compared to this new guy, and stalked off.

I was so hungry after getting up that I had a Harvest Crunch breakfast before doing anything so as to be rid of intense stomach pains which nearly had me doubled over.

Clouds seem to rule the day again.

I am going to again try and leave a note with Bill's car informing him Saturday I plan to eat at home and not out; then I'll mail Jean's letter and head for dad's as I said I would.

I walked in a rain so fine I could barely see it, nor did I get damp.

At 5th St & 8th Ave. I saw and waved at Judy & Glen as they drove by.

Dad & Marie were sober but something ill.  

Dad finally bought a case of beer, of which I had 3.

I ate heavily.

Dad saw Helen on Tuesday, I think it was, and she gave him a catalog of movie star shots that came to her address for me.

Coming home, I stopped at the library and borrowed Survival by Don R. Arthur.

I was really sleepy and tired all evening, but livened up after my shower; still, bedtime at 11:40 p.m.
How coincidental that I posted a photo of Al Cotts earlier!  I had no idea that my journal entry would be mentioning him.

I wonder if the Mary in the dream was she of 'Bob & Mary' ─ a couple who were friends of my younger brother Mark and his girlfriend, Catherine Jeanette Gunther?

If so, this was her ─ a photo taken at the same party that the photo of Al Cotts was taken at:

That Quaker Harvest Crunch cereal would have most definitely gotten rid of those starvation gas cramps.

My old friend William Alan Gill and I had been regularly going to a smorgasbord on the weekends, and I was always heavily overeating ─ often three heaped plate-loads of food.

So I was intending to cut back on attendance.  I just could not control myself once confronted by all the food!

The letter I was to mail was to an American pen-pal, Jean Michelle Martin (née Black).

I had just visited my father Hector and his girlfriend Maria Fadden the evening before, and now I was off to see them again.

This was no light undertaking ─ they were renting an apartment at 5870 Sunset Street in Burnaby, and I generally hiked to there and then back to my room afterwards.     

Google Street View claims that this is the apartment building:

I cannot certainly recall the place, so I suspect that my father and Maria were not there for too long ─ August might have been their second month there, if not just their first.

Anyway, early into that hike ─ it was at Fifth Street & Eighth Avenue ─ I saw Judy, the eldest daughter of Esther St. Jean, the dear woman who generally drove the pick-up truck I served as a swamper on when I put in my one day of work per week at a New Westminster charitable organization. 

I cannot recall now if Judy had yet married, but I expect that "Glen" was her husband or fiancé.

It was always a treat to find my father and Maria sober whenever I visited.

Helen Smith was one of his sisters.  She lived in Edmonton ─ she must have been down to Vancouver to visit two other sisters who lived in Vancouver.

That surprised me that Helen had a piece of mail for me.  I must have used her home as my mailing address when I last spent six months or so visiting my father back when he lived in Edmonton very late in the 1960s and maybe even into the start of the 1970s.

I remember nothing of that library book that I borrowed upon my return hike, but its full title was apparently Survival:  Man and his Environment.

I sure do wish that I had the quality of vision that I had back then.

Heck, I wish that I had practically my entire body from back then!
Post a Comment