.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Thursday, August 4, 2016

More Details on the State of a Former Co-Worker Who Suffered a Stroke Late Last Year │ Further 2016 Vancouver Pride Parade Photos

As she said she would, my wife Jack came home late last evening from Vancouver, and it was with the intention of spending the night.

My younger brother Mark had passed out around 10:10 p.m., so he was still in his chair in front of the T.V. by the time she got home.

But he soon enough sensed the bustle of her presence.

Normally he goes up to his bedroom anywhere from 10:20 p.m. to 10:40 p.m.  Last night, it was 11:20 p.m.

And his clock-radio is set for 4:20 a.m. to rouse him for his new day of work.

I don't know how he copes.

It's probably a brilliant thing that he takes a veritable handful of nutritional supplements daily, for I suspect that otherwise he would have had a stroke or heart-attack by now (he turned 64 last month).

It was at least 12:40 a.m. when I joined Jack in bed once I verified that she had retired to our bedroom for the night.

It was possibly 5:40 a.m. before I was awake enough to next check the time.

I remained in bed instead of taking the bathroom break that usually attends that first serious break in sleep; and it was another three hours before I decided to get up.

I was able to get in some work on the edit of an old post ─ an edit I've had on the go since Tuesday ─ at my website Siam-Longings.  However, I now realize that it will be at least Saturday before I have the job completed and the post updated.

Eventually I realized that my eldest step-son Tho never bothered going to work today.

And Pote was not to go to work, either ─ despite already having the previous two days off.  He had arranged to have a medical appointment scheduled for today instead of one of his days off ─ probably because doing so would have impinged upon his time lolling about here in bed with his girlfriend.

It turns out that the appointment concerned his complexion, and now he has some sort of acne medication that costs $80 per wee pill bottle ─ and he is to get the prescription refilled another four or so times.

Why bother eating right, and doing one's best to establish an ideal population of gut biota? ─ modern chemistry will save the day!

Yeah...sure it will.  

Young fool.

Dear Jack cooked up a great feed that ought to tide us all over into tomorrow.  And at about 2:30 p.m., she left to return to Vancouver and her 4:00 p.m. start at Mango Thai Restaurant.

Today was the third consecutive in which I have not derived any benefit from the Sun.  However, unlike the previous two mainly cloudy days, today was mostly sunny.  I just feel it uncivil to be sitting outside in the sunshine instead of being present here in the house when my wife Jack is home.

Speaking of strokes (as I was early into this post), yesterday I reported about learning of a former co-worker's stroke late last December that still has her disabled.

I last saw Debbie in July 2002, the final full month in which I was employed at Transport Canada in Vancouver.  Early in August of that year, I transferred over to DFO (Fisheries and Oceans Canada).

Another co-worker from Transport Canada had filled me in on Debbie yesterday, and I quoted his details from the two E-mails he sent me.

Today, yet another Transport Canada co-worker offered even more about Debbie:
Gees Garnet, all this drama has been going on for last seven months and I did not even remember to drop you a line.

There was a rush of phone call and e-mails informing me about her stroke.  I went to Langley Hospital three times and she could not even recognize me.  I gave the choc. boxes to nurses to enjoy them.  The nurse put the flowers in a vase and brought it near her to tell her I brought them, but she just kept staring somewhere entirely different.

Couple months back I called the hospital if she was still in the hospital and I was told she was not.
Last month I asked Regina to find out where Debbie was and she went out all the way and found out the address for me in Langley where she is now for rehab.

Couple weeks back I tried to find the place and went to see her, not knowing the rules, I did not take anything with me.  When I got there I was told she was out for shopping, and I had to laugh.  Really, I asked, because the way I had seen her I did not know she could do a thing like that.  Maybe it wasn't actually shopping, but take her round the mall in a wheel chair to give her a change.

Anyways, I was asked if I could wait, as she does not get many visitors and I told her I will.  I was told she will get in touch with the girl looking after Debbie, and tell her you are waiting for her.

As soon as Debbie entered the door, and saw me sitting across and called out my name and the nurse brought the wheel chair near me.  We started to make small talk, and in few minutes she said I do not feel good.  I asked is it the headache and she said no.  I put my hand on my chest and asked her here and she said yes.  I asked do you want me to go and she said yes.  I explained it to nurses and they said she had been complaining about not feeling well since morning.

I think her right side has a problem, as she gave me her left hand when I was living.

Anyways, I am planning to visit her soon, with some goodies this time.  I am sorry Garnet, it was not deliberate but I was getting the news from somewhere and never even thought of informing anyone.
She added this little bit more in a subsequent E-mail:
I went to see her, because I worked with her once, she was in Langley and all at work kept asking me to go see her and tell then how she was going.  I would have done it anyways, as I am little softy when it comes to people getting sick, and this was more than that.

No I had not witnessed her stroke.  I believe she was at home alone when she had a stroke, and it was a while before the family knew about it.  Maybe something could have been done if she was taken to the hospital right away.  Sometimes it scares me to live alone.....

I kept telling her to stop smoking and walk at least couple blocks but it all went over her head.  Ya, that makes me think, I do not think she smokes now?? I kissed her forehead and she did not smell of smokes, otherwise she did all the time.

Next  time I go to see her, I will inform you how it all went.

Take care Garnet.
It's truly nasty when our circulatory systems break down for whatever reason ─ and there are so many things that can go amiss.


I have some further photos to post from the 2016 Vancouver Pride Parade that I attended this past Sunday, so I will do so now.

I won't be offering any descriptions because I know nothing of any of the participants ─ except to day, of course, that the three lead photos depict some RCMP members, and the final photo depicts a Wonder Woman:


I think I am going to close now ─ my eyes have been unusually bothersome today; and so here is an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting the room in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.
MONDAY, August 4, 1975

B.C. Day.

I got up well before 7:30 a.m., but am tired.

About 10:00 a.m. due to weariness, I lied down till 11:30 a.m., gaining some extra sleep.

It appears to be mostly sunny out, so I shall obey my plan to go to the lake and sun.

This I did, though the sun was more often hazed than not.  I basked from 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., quitting because of heavy cloud cover that remained.

I came home at 5:30 p.m. and made a meal of pancakes & honey.

Cathy has been heavy in my thoughts, which I am trying to control so as not to find myself once more mad for her, and miserable near to suicide without her.

After eating, I rested for nigh an hour, possibly sleeping some.

My thighs are quite painfully burnt.

I should here mention that while laundering Sunday I saw Frank S. and child stroll to the store and back.

I again took my runners to the track for an 11:00 p.m. run, being joined as I was finishing lap 2.  Another fellow came later, and I passed him.  On my last lap I passed both guys.

Bedtime about 11:40 p.m.
I guess B.C. Day in 1975 was only the second time it was observed.  We observed it on August 1st this year (2016).

It was to Burnaby Lake that I went to do my sunning.  On such a day, I likely accessed it via Robert Burnaby Park, and then I would get myself to the opposite side of the freeway (Trans-Canada Highway) as shown here:

I am foggy about it now, but I think that I likely went under the freeway via the Ramsay Creek culvert

Only the Freeway Trail existed ─ there was no Southside Trail at the lake back then. That whole area beyond the Freeway Trail was thick undergrowth.

As I recall, I would go to one of the transmission tower cement foundations, selecting one that  had enough shrubbery and other growth around it to shield me from view, and there I would strip down and sun.

I was very public-shy ─ that's why I would go all the way out to that area instead of just sunning in a nearby New Westminster park.

Catherine Jeanette Gunther was heavily on my mind ─ I had fallen in love with the dear young woman, even though she was my younger brother Mark's girlfriend and they were renting a home together in Whalley.

But I was so lonely for love ─ I was an easy victim for the love bug.

Incidentally, I haven't the remotest idea who "Frank S. and child" were that I had seen while I was in a laundromat on Sunday.  I am somewhat uncertain now where the laundromat was, so I have no idea at all what store these two had walked to.

The track I went running on was at New Westminster Secondary School. Obviously I would only go there quite late at night when there wouldn't likely be any students using it.

I was coming to realize that I was considerably better than average as a runner, even though I was poor at running when I was in secondary school.

I was to get so good at running that when I used to go to the track at Bear Creek Park in Surrey well into the 1980s, nobody who ever showed up was a stronger runner than I was.  

I regularly had runners who would show up and surreptitiously compete against me, but they would ultimately fall back.  

At that time, I was running 21 laps in the outside lane.

I even got some compliments from strangers.

Yet I never formally competed in any public runs.  I regret that.

I now have no idea just how good I might have actually been.
Post a Comment