.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Thursday, August 25, 2016

Our Latest CRA Telephone Scam │ Power Morcellation and the PneumoLiner ─ All the Safeguard We Need? Hardly....

As I expected, my younger brother Mark nigh blew a gasket when I informed him last evening that my wife Jack had bought a new washer.

He had bought a second-hand one several months ago that just recently started acting up ─ the one we were using prior to that had become defective.  But after he bought the replacement, he managed to fix the original machine.

So it was still sitting nearby ─ Jack just assumed that it was still broken.

She paid $800 on her VISA card, but the salesgirl claimed that if she brought back the receipt on September 1st, a special sale they were having would entitle her to a 30% discount.

I sure hope that's true.

Anyway, my two step-sons got to work late last evening moving out the defective machine, and I helped them get it placed onto the backyard sundeck.  The ultimate plan is to get it into the small backyard shed before the coming of any rain.

The brand new Samsung was to be delivered this morning ─ I thought that my youngest step-son Pote said that the delivery was to be anytime between 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., but the two chaps who moved it in were here and gone again before 9:00 a.m.

They hooked it up for us, and Pote has already used it.

He and his brother launder several times a week ─ no doubt, they are the ones wearing out the machines.

It's rare that I need to launder even once a week ─ I can generally get by with doing it every couple of weeks.

Occasionally I might do a special wash of a couple bedding items.

Speaking of Pote, he has been home all day ─ he normally works on Thursdays.  I don't know what's going on with that.

I nearly completed the new post I've been working on since Monday at my Latin Impressions website ─ I should have no problem topping its content up in the morning and then getting it published.

But my vision has been very troublesome today; nor have I felt particularly well-rested or physically able.

I have had to curtail my exercise sessions somewhat, reducing what I would normally have done in a couple of them because I am just feeling too overtaxed.

And it has been another hot and sunny day.

I put in over 70 minutes of sunning on the backyard sundeck, beginning at 12:23 p.m.

Make hay while the sun shines!

Had it been an overcast day, I might well have napped to try and recover some of what seems to be missing from me.

I think that it was approaching 12:30 a.m. last night before I got to bed ─ I had become embroiled in E-mails.

Also, I was not all that sure that my wife Jack might not show up.  But she didn't.

My first serious break in sleep was around 4:00 a.m., so I availed myself of the bathroom.

It might have been around 7:45 a.m. when I decided to get up for the day, but I was not feeling at all rejuvenated from the bed-rest and sleep that I did manage.

By the way, the Canada Revenue Agency scammers have been at it again.

I recorded the telephone message and uploaded it to YouTube:

This is the first time that a computerized voice or text-to-speech technology has been used insofar as my experience with these scam calls goes.

A lawsuit registered under whose name?  And an arrest warrant for whom?

There are FIVE taxpayers in this household ─ is the call supposed to be for any one of us who happens to hear the message?

Or does it apply to all of us, and we are somehow a band of gangsters cheating CRA?

It amazes me that people fall for this:  panic, call back, and do absolutely everything that they are bidden by the scammers.


I have a fairly old family photo I want to post ─ the description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the scanned photo saved:

This appears to be my mother Irene Dorosh, but I have no idea at all when the photo was taken, nor where.

She died mid-March 2006, less than two months before what would have been her 90th birthday.

This photo would have been taken a few decades before then.

Both Canada and the U.S.A. have issued warnings in the past about the use of power morcellators for the purpose of procedures such as hysterectomies and fibroid removal surgeries, but the use of these surgical devices continues.

The concern with these surgical tools is that if there is an unseen cancer present, the morcellator will chew up the tissue and fling cells of the cancer all about and thereby help in its spread.

But now there is a supposed safeguard called a PneumoLiner that is claimed to be able to contain the tissues that were heretofore tossed all about by the morcellator.

This "morcellation tissue containment system" is supposed to be able to retain the morcellated tissues and fluids within a 'bag,' but a study on such bags ─ without actually naming any specific products ─ found that one in 10 of them could actually still leak fluids and tissues.

The FDA estimates that one in 350 women "who have hysterectomy or myomectomy for fibroids will have an unsuspected uterine sarcoma."


The FDA has approved the PneumoLiner for use with power morcellators, but it incongruously states of the PneumoLiner that "it has not been proven to reduce the risk of cancer spread during surgery."

And note this quote about these morcellation tissue containment systems ─ the quote was issued by Daniel L. Clarke-Pearson, MD, professor and chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at University of North Carolina:
"There have been vascular and bowel injuries by power morcellators when using a containment bag because the bag itself can obstruct the surgeon's view of adjacent anatomy and thus, the morcellator has penetrated out the opposite side of the bag and injured organs that were not visualized," he said. "I presume this bag is not so strong as to withstand the blades of the power morcellator."
Feel secure yet?

Surgeons are supposed to warn patients of the dangers that can result from power morcellation, but they are not required to by law.

And note this concerning the PneumoLiner:
The new bag is not guaranteed to stop the spread of cancer. In fact, the packaging of the product must also list several warnings, including one that reads, “The use of this containment system has not been clinically demonstrated to reduce this risk.”
How would you feel if you  had access to that package and read that?

Well, don't worry ─ you as a patient would never get to see the package.

Here are a couple of sources for my information:

Earlier this month, a graver report was published concerning the FDA's approval of the PneumoLiner for use during power morcellation:


What frightening implications!


I must rush this closing portion of my post ─ the day has grown later than I am comfortable with.

Here is an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting the room at was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

Normally I worked just one day a week ─ Friday.  However, when I reported in on the previous Friday, there was naught for me to do.

And so I was coming in on a Monday.

My employer was a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) who were then situated in a building that was located approximately where the New Westminster SkyTrain Station now opens up onto Carnarvon Street.

Today, S.A.N.E. calls itself Fraserside Community Services Society.

I had retired at 6:00 p.m. the previous evening....
MONDAY, August 25, 1975

I slept quite well till about 10:30 p.m. last night, then I listened to the 1963 flashbacks till midnight.  After that, sleep was not easy.

I got up disappointedly this morning at about 4:50 a.m.  I felt I was uncommonly refreshed, but later learned I was wanting a great deal more sleep.

I had grand hopes for today, setting up tomorrow for my longest walk yet, a development that came upon me Saturday, I believe.

On my way to Army & Navy, I encountered Mike; we dragged out a conversation on the street corner.

At the store, I paid $9.40 for a fake-leather hiking boot.

Then I went to S.A.N.E., finding there Bill, Bill, Howie, Al, and a new guy, John, who looks something like a poor Clint Eastwood.

I popped over to Safeway and bought some soap, eggs, and a 3 lb bag of Granola (priced at about $2.23), this latter purchase pricking me to consider hence just buying cereals that must be cooked.

Back at S.A.N.E., most of us were discharged for the day; maybe we all were.

I may have to put in an extra day next week; Shirley is moving, and it is reckoned that about 3 days will here be required.

I next spent a couple hours from home, over at Queen's Park, doing some reading, the clouds notwithstanding.

I think my boots will do me well; tomorrow will tell.

After exercising, idleness resulted in a loathsome intense release with the assist of August's Marguerite Cordier; I have decided to discard my pornography tomorrow morn.

Tonight I shall retire at 7:00 p.m., hoping to remain asleep for enough hours to reckon it a full period.
I have no idea what walk I was contemplating! 

The chap I encountered on my way to Army & Navy on Columbia Street must have been Mike Schutz.  He was a truly nice guy ─ I rather miss him.

He was nigh 6½ feet tall, but probably weighed less than 150 pounds.

Of those fellows I mentioned finding at S.A.N.E., I remember none of them with any certainty.  However, I did recently write that one of the Bills' last name was Sevenko.

I normally worked as a truck swamper for S.A.N.E., but the usual driver was sick when I reported for work on the Friday.  It doesn't sound like anything had changed.    

The moving job scheduled for the following week must have been for Shirley Johnston, but I will not speak of her until that is confirmed in due course.

So after being discharged yet again, I went over to Queen's Park to read.

Then back at my room, following some exercise, I fell prey to an August model in what was likely Penthouse magazine. 

I rarely felt good about that supposedly normal conduct.
Post a Comment