.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Sunday, August 28, 2016

The "Mild Behavioral Impairment Checklist"

With my younger brother Mark staying with his girlfriend Bev last evening, I had the T.V. ─ and the living room ─ to myself.

In a slight celebration, I added a can of regular-strength (5.5% alcohol) beer on top of the couple or so ounces of rum and the three cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer that I consume as my current evening norm.

My wife Jack had been working at her friend Fanta's Thai restaurant in Langley, and finally came home around 10:30 p.m.

She was extremely tired from her long day, and wasted no time at all in getting herself to bed.  I don't recall just when I followed suit, but it was ahead of midnight.

I think I needed a bathroom break around 3:00 a.m., so I took care of that and managed to return to sleep.

In fact, I seemed to sleep considerably better than I normally do ─ might that be attributable to that extra beer?

But that wakeful point arrived when I didn't seem able to fall back into sleep, and so I checked the time ─ it was after 8:30 a.m.  It was time to rise.

My youngest step-son Pote was up ─ his girlfriend had taken leave earlier in the morning.  He was finally to waken his mother around 10:20 a.m. so that she could drive him to work over in Guildford

She looked so darned tired when she emerged from the bedroom!  And she looked little better when she headed out the door with Pote awhile later ─ I often have concerns for her about driving in that condition.

Much of my morning had been spent working upon a new post at my Lawless Spirit website. I may actually have it completed and published by Wednesday, but that's going to depend on how often my wife Jack spends the night here.

She did some shopping after she dropped Pote off at Guildford; and once she was back home, she got busy preparing a pot of delicious soup, and a large quantity of a Thai-spicy ground beef dish in a large frying pan.

By late in the morning, she was clearly feeling very chipper ─ it was warming for me to witness.

I had wondered if she was going to return to work for Fanta today, but I learned that she was not so involved.

And ere 2:20 p.m., she had left to go back to Vancouver for the remainder of the day and whatever the hell it is that keeps her thinking she has to be staying there.   

She has a noon dental appointment tomorrow for some cleaning here in Whalley, so she most likely she will be making an appearance here at home once again.

But why not just stay here today and tonight if she's just got to come back from Vancouver late tomorrow morning?

This is not the retirement and life I ever imagined for myself.

Anyway, the morning had been a mix of Sun and cloud ─ the latter prevailing.

The cloud seemed to increase its sway as the afternoon arrived.  And just ahead of 3:00 p.m., it was lightly raining.

It is 3:08 p.m. as I type these words.


I wish now to post a family photo.  The description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the scanned image saved:

This photo that belonged to my mother Irene Dorosh was obviously from a roll of film that was developed in October 1972.

I think that whomever served as photographer must have had a shaky hand, for everything is blurred.

Nevertheless, that is my mother in the orange dress, with her husband Alex beside her.

They are sandwiched by Andy and Kay Kris (if I have those names spelled correctly ─ I may not).

I am going to conjecture that the setting was the Kris's property here in Surrey.  However, I have never been to their home, so I cannot say that with any certainty.

Have you any ageing family members?

Or maybe you're getting on in years yourself?

I think we all know that when a senior is sinking into Alzheimer's disease or some other similar dementia, the unfortunate victim of this decline can often become almost irrationally irascible.

But there can be many other personality changes that ought to be watched for. 

If this is something of concern to you, here are a couple of reports on some research, the results of which were recently presented at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference that was held in Toronto July 22 - 28 (2016):

A draft checklist of 34 questions was presented to assist in identifying if someone is under threat of developing Alzheimer's disease.

Provided that the link is maintained, you should find a copy here titled Mild Behavioral Impairment Checklist (MBI-C).


I wish to close now with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting my room in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

Two or three times a week, I would hike out to my mother's home in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey, for her address was my main mailing address. 

The house is now gone, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.

I had always hiked directly there ─ the trek would take about 1½ hours of fairly fast walking from my room.  However, two days earlier than the date of the journal entry I am going to publish, I had undertaken a new route to make the tiresome trip more interesting and exercise-worthy ─ but it was also far, far longer.

From my room, I would take to the King George Highway and follow it all the way to Newton and the BC Hydro Railway tracks (now the Southern Railway of British Columbia) that crossed 72nd Avenue and the King George Highway right there in Newton.

Then I would turn right, and follow the railway tracks all the way to 90th Avenue in Kennedy Heights.

My mother lived just a few houses down 90th Avenue from those railway tracks. 

Then after a good long visit, I would hike directly back to New Westminster by taking the shorter 1½-hour route.
THURSDAY, August 28, 1975

I slept well till about 1:50 a.m.; I am unsure if I again slept before arising at 3:20 a.m., feeling tired.

I had pancakes for breakfast, enjoying them.

I shall leave for mom's via Newton before 6:45 a.m.

I met up with a couple minor showers; I arrived at mom's in just a few minutes over 3 hours from the time I left home.

I had burning feet, but not quite as badly as Tuesday's, for I wore my old boots; but I was extremely 'wiped out' in the feet, having them throbbing and approaching aching; too, I became very tired.

Mom's and my Lucky Leo Lottery tickets arrived today.

I left with the daiquiri mix I was supposed to take home about a week ago, and some apples and plums.

After I got onto the bridge, it began pouring, lasting my walk home; I recognized and waved at Alex.

I had a note to leave explaining to Bill I would be at mom's Saturday, but his car wasn't home, as is too bloody often the case.

Perhaps I shouldn't attend the smorgasbord?  But I will.

Bed at 8:00 p.m.
Yes, after making that long, long trip, I would quickly decline into extreme sleepiness.  Besides, I usually had gotten very little sleep overnight, for I rose early to get this trip done. 

My mother and Alex always had a vegetable garden, and they also had fruit trees and berry bushes in the back yard.

It would have been on the Pattullo Bridge on my way home that I saw and waved to Alex as he drove home from work.

The note I intended to leave for my old friend William Alan Gill ─ who had a bachelor suite not too far from my room in New Westminster ─ would have let him know that I was not going to be at my room Saturday.  He and I usually got together to attend a smorgasbord in New Westminster ─ the wonderful eatery was at that time located in a shopping plaza at McBride Boulevard & Eighth Avenue.

Today, to get in that amount of time each week walking, I would need to be independently wealthy and not tied down to my computer as I am, spending hours each day in this futile effort to derive a second income.   

Of course, there is nowhere around here anymore allowing of such walks.  Everywhere there is development, endless street traffic, and humanity.

I have practically become a hermit ─ except that I do not have that sort of solitude in this house.

Quite the contrary ─ I am rarely allowed to be home alone anymore. 

But I am rambling.

It is time to proofread this post and get it published. 

I need some drinks ─ folly nigh claimed me during a lengthy post break.
Post a Comment