.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Friday, September 2, 2016

14-Foot Alligator Captured in Australia │ Childhood Antibiotics May Be Responsible for Some Cases of Type 1 Diabetes

During the latter afternoon yesterday, we had several downpours of rain.  I would have expected thunder and lightning, but I never noticed any.

This carried on into the earliest part of the evening, and then the intensity waned until further showers were unremarkable.

I made it to bed last evening by 11:13 p.m. ─ it's been a long while since I have managed a bedtime as early as that.

I think my first break in sleep was around 3:30 a.m.; and after the bathroom visit that afforded, sleep thereafter was intermittent but still worthwhile.

When I checked the time with an eye to rising, it was 7:01 a.m.  But it was so delicious lying there in bed, it took me several minutes before I could actually get myself up.

It is not often I find myself feeling that level of deliciousness in the morning before getting up.  In fact, too often I actually feel rather physically miserable.

My youngest step-son Pote had slept alone; and after mid-morning I heard him up and readying for work.  He left shortly after 10:00 a.m. to catch his bus to Guildford.

I had gotten embroiled in responding to an E-mail before I got to work on the new post Iset up yesterday at my Latin Impressions website.  This too often happens.

The denouement was that I managed less work on that post than I intended, for I had to knock off to seek bed-rest for my eyes prior to getting ready for the four-mile round-trip hike to the government liquor store at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard here in Whalley.

The morning had been heavily overcast.  And when I was locking the front door behind me at 11:14 a.m., I could hear a little rain falling.

There was nothing mention-worthy about the trip.

It was fortunate that I split up the two dozen cans of beer in the liquor store (I usually put one dozen into a tote bag; and I keep the other dozen in their flat which I set directly into a pack), for in separating out the cans, I noticed that the flat was freshly wet in one small area.

In checking the cans that I had put into the tote bag ─ the inside bottom of which I saw was fast becoming very wet ─ I found the culprit can amongst its five companions that were all batched together with a set of typical six pack rings.

I flourished it for the cashier to see, and declared, "This one's got a dud!"

She asked me to pass it over to her, and directed that I was to go and get an undamaged six-pack.

So I did.

When I returned to my tote bag and pack just somewhat to the side of the rear of the cashier's counter, she had a bit of a line-up to deal with and was not paying me any attention.

I could easily have brought back a dozen cans instead of six and packed them up.

But that's not in my nature; and I appreciate the friendly staff who work there.  I feel the trust.

As I made my way home, I noticed that there were some blue clear streaks amongst the clouds.

And as usual, the effort of bearing the two dozen cans of beer soon had me warmed right up and starting to feel a tad clammy in my jacket.

Oddly, the last half-mile or so found me somewhat losing my legs ─ the weight of the cans had slowed me right down, and my gait was unsteady.

Perhaps the price of not having eaten aught ere making the trip.

But overall, I was something under the 1½ hours that the task can take from start to finish ─ it was 1:10 p.m. by the time I was at the front door.

Concerning those six-pack rings, whenever I finish the last can in a set of rings, I always cut open every possible loop so that it can never get wrapped around some hapless creature.

But I wish that the darned plastic rings were not manufactured in the first place.

Check out this May 6 article at creativity-online.comBeer Drinkers Can Help Save the Ocean With Edible Six-Pack Rings.   

An innovation like that needs to swamp the marketplace!


This past Tuesday ─ Australian time ─ a 14-foot (or 4.33-metre) alligator was captured.

Here's some video of it being secured:

Australian police captured a 4.33-metre crocodile on Tuesday (August 30) after it took cattle from a station in the Northern Territory.

The capture came after the property owners in the Douglas Daly Region, south of Darwin City, sought assistance from the local Daly River Police Station.

Video released by the Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services on its Facebook page showed rangers from the territory's Park and Wildlife Commission collaborating with the police officers to get the crocodile under control.

Police and rangers used a trap in a waterhole to limit the animal's movement, then snared its jaws with ropes and dragged the huge monster onto the ground where tape was used to close its jaws.

The capture of crocodiles is not unusual, but the task of dealing with such a huge one within a limited area was not easy.

"It was a bit of an unorthodox extraction from the cage due the situation where it was in a water hole with limited access," said Remote Sergeant Mark Berry. "He got a little bit away from us, but we ended up getting hold of him."

The crocodile was sent to a local crocodile farm where the animal will be assessed, Jason Gates at the NT Police media team told Reuters by emails. If the condition of the huge crocodile is suitable, it would be used in a breeding program, Gates added.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) reported that the property owners told police that they believed there was an even larger crocodile lurking in the waters. Gates said the trap would remain in the waterhole with fresh bait, waiting for the new one to be captured.

Gates also said the Parks and Wildlife Commission Northern Territory urged people to be aware that salt water crocodiles live in Top End waterways and all caution should be taken when travelling, fishing or walking in these areas.
Can you imagine one even bigger?


Now here is a photo I want to post from a collection that belonged to my mother ─ the description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the scanned image stored:

That is my mother Irene Dorosh snuggling in at the right, but I cannot identify the other two people.

I suppose that the photo might have been taken in the late 1960s, or else sometime during the 1970s.

As for location, that is the back of the home that my mother shared with her husband Alex ─ who was likely the photographer.

That little house no longer exists, but its address in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey was 12106 - 90th Avenue.

Yesterday I included a link to an article reporting on a study that noticed how there seemed to be increased incidences of type 2 diabetes in people who drink fluoridated water as compared to people who do not have to suffer from fluoridation. 

There is also a study that has found that increased incidences in type 1 diabetes may be linked to the courses of antibiotics that children so often are administered.

The antibiotics kill off much of the essential microbiota, and this leads to less diversity in the beneficial organisms within the intestines, and even to impaired immune systems in the children.

Apparently in healthy children, there are beneficial gut microbes that somehow "train" the body's immune system not to attack itself ─ they restrain immune reactions.  But with these magnificent microbes killed off, it's possible that this can lead to the body attacking its own pancreatic cells and destroying those which produce insulin. 

The study involved experimenting with mice, and obviously not children; but the concept for the experiments is legitimate.

I want to finish up ─ my afternoon is advancing far too rapidly.  You can learn more about this study and its findings by referring to the following two reports:



Clearly, we've got to cut way back on the amount of antibiotics that we are being exposed to!  Too many are frivolously prescribed by medical professionals who are harried and/or just shortsighted.


Here to close today's post is an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The room I had was being rented in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

The evening before, I had retired to bed at 7:40 p.m.  

I normally worked each Friday as a truck swamper on the blue pick-up truck of a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that was then located in a building that existed roughly where the New Westminster SkyTrain Station now empties out onto Carnarvon Street.

S.A.N.E. today is known as Fraserside Community Services Society.

I had agreed to come in on this special day to help move a woman.
TUESDAY, September 2, 1975

I got up before 4:00 a.m.

I left just after 4:30 a.m. for 11 laps at the school track; there were 2 guys in the bleachers for half my run.

I lied down from about 8:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m., feeling rather burny-eyed from insufficient sleep.

I reported in at S.A.N.E. as I agreed to 8 days ago to assist move Shirley; but she wasn't prepared as yet.

Till lunch, the only work on the truck I had to do was deliver a dresser.

Esther is back, and I am her sole swamper; we thought we were faced with the task of moving the folk below Howie, but they had enough guys that they loaded and unloaded the 2 loads.

Walking up McInnes at lunch, Howie caught me, and I listened to his woes for a while.  Thus, my lunch was extended to about 1 hour.  It consisted of Harvest Crunch.

Back at S.A.N.E. Gordie worked long enough to complete a trip to the dump.

I was discharged about 4:15 p.m.

This morning I saw Allan Olson by the store at Royal & 10th; he was with a girl, likely the one he usually has been seen with.

Safeway was open today, and I tried a Shop-easy in Sapperton, but neither place had any stewing chickens.

I encountered Jamie on my way home.

I have a huge inflamed development on the right side of my throat that is disturbing me; it arose yesterday, but sure matured today.

Bed at 8:40 p.m.
As I sit here at 66 years of age, I can barely believe that I rose that early, went to the school track at New Westminster Secondary to run 11 laps, and then later on reported to S.A.N.E. with the understanding that I would be confronted with a moving job.

I am going to have to learn in an upcoming journal entry if the woman moving was Shirley Johnston.  If indeed it was her, then I was to be involved in that job when finally it did happen.

Esther St. Jean was usually my driver on the S.A.N.E. truck ─ Esther was a sweetheart in her early 40s.

I can't claim any longer to remember just who "Howie" or "Gordie" were, but one of them was quite an odd character prone to improbable bombast and highly exaggerated notions of cash value.

And since I cannot recall "Howie," I certainly have no idea now where it was that he lived.  Undoubtedly, though, it was a big relief to Esther and I that the moving job that we did have was shouldered by a number of involved helpers. 

I wonder when it was that I was able to visit Shop Easy in Sapperton?  Perhaps it was while we were making the trip to the dump.  That specific Shop Easy was an outlet of a supermarket chain, but I'm unsure if the Shop Easy Foods of today is that very same chain.

I often went back to my room for lunch, and I evidently did so this day.  I loved Quaker Harvest Crunch back then, but I would never touch the stuff today.  I used to think that anything that was granola-like just had to be healthy.

The name Allan Olson or Alan Olsen or however it would have been spelled is so familiar to me, yet I cannot bring the soul to mind who actually belonged to that name. 

I now have no memory of a "Jamie," either.

Anyway, I put in my day ─ monstrous developing pimple on the side of my throat notwithstanding.

Before closing, I want to mention that I considered going out into the backyard early this afternoon to enjoy some unexpected sunshine, but that accursed hound beyond the backyard fence was barking and baying. 

As I type these words at 6:10 p.m., it has been carrying on for over eight bloody hours.  I wish that thing nothing but the silence of death ─ it has tortured me with its booming, penetrating noise for over three years. 

Unexpected sunshine early in the afternoon...rain showers in the latter afternoon.  I expect more will come this evening.
Post a Comment