.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Thursday, September 22, 2016

💀 ☠ Another Suspect Medication Coming for Alzheimer's Disease Treatment │ Sepsis Outstripping Heart-Attacks as a Killer

I underwent an iniquitous relapse last night ─ it had to be around 1:30 a.m. or later before I betook myself from this computer and to bed.

It has been a day of self-loathing, and they are the worst.  If I lived alone, I think I would have considered self-termination rather than carry on.

I had meant to go and do some local shopping this morning ─ that was yesterday's plan for this morning, at any rate.  But this was impossible now ─ I could not face the public.

Rather exacerbating my self-inflicted emotional wounds were the presences of my youngest step-son Pote and his girlfriend ─ she had spent the night here with him.

It all weighs me down.

They finally rose late in the morning and towards 1:00 p.m. left ─ perhaps Pote had to start an early afternoon shift at the sports shop in Guildford where he works.

Or maybe they just decided to go somewhere else.

I had a break in sleep overnight around 5:15 a.m. that saw me use the bathroom.  With the conscience turmoil already in full play, I had some dread that I would be unable to secure any further sleep, but a little did come.

Natheless, my day commenced ahead of 8:00 a.m.

It has been a flawlessly sunny day.

I put more content into the new post I have been working upon since Tuesday at my Siam-Longings website, and towards the end I clumsily published today's contributions to the post ─ I work in an entirely separate draft post from the one that is going to be the finalized version.

Realizing what I had stupidly done, I swiftly deleted the post.

However, I needed to recover my day's work.  And the only way I could do that was by recovering the entire post from my Trash folder.

But all that did was republish the damned thing.

So I quickly copied all of the html data, pasted it to the bottom of the post that will eventually get published, and then I again deleted the secondary post that had been serving as my working draft.

I sure didn't need this additional aggravation to my day.

This is actually the first day of the Fall ─ I recall incorrectly identifying in yesterday's post that it was marking the advent of Fall.

I could not waste the sunshine, so at 12:31 p.m. I was out in the backyard wearing just a pair of cut-off; and seated in a chair, I faced into the Sun for 40 minutes.

I have no idea how much longer this absolutely unusual streak of September sunshine is going to last, so I dare waste no such chance to keep my complexion nicely coloured.

Today also happens to be the day that the monthly $1,600 mortgage payment was debited from my chequing account.  I now have just over $300 in the balance, but there is a $200 credit card payment due to be negotiated from it at any time ─ I had mailed off a cheque as the payment.

Thus, I really only have just over $100 in the balance.  And I probably will not receive my monthly pension payment for another week.

This sucks.

This morning there was a chap cleaning out the alleyway that extends from the cul-de-sac I live in, and which pushes through a very short distance to a nearby major avenue.

The alleyway actually runs right by our house.

So I took a few candid photos of the fellow at work ─ unfortunately, the alleyway was still shaded from the sunlight, and the images are very gloomy.

Then I decided to photograph the belly and back of a rather robust orb-weaver spider just outside our front door ─ quite apart from its legs, its body looks like it would come near to being an inch in length:

And I suppose this pretty much covers my day to this point ─ it is 3:24 p.m. as I type these words.


Are you familiar with the medical term sepsis?

Apparently many medical professionals who are familiar with the term have trouble recognizing real instances of the condition.  Its annual death toll has now outstripped that of heart-attacks in the U.S.

Sepsis can develop from infections as common as the flu, pneumonia, and meningococcal meningitis.

It's a scary prospect.
A rapid pulse, fast breathing, and swelling and red tissue should put people on guard. The most troubling symptoms are a combination of intense pain and mental confusion that worsens within a few hours, [Steven] Simpson [a professor of pulmonary and critical care medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center] said. "If you have these symptoms, ask the doctor in these words: 'Is this likely sepsis?' "
You can read an eye-opening report on sepsis here:

The same report is published at Chicago Tribune, but with a different title:  CDC: Sepsis is a medical emergency, causes more deaths than heart attacks.


None of us feel absolutely safe from the eventual development of Alzheimer's disease, but is there ever going to be a safe medication to treat it?

The latest push seems to be in the direction of a medication called aducanumab:


I appreciated neuroscience professor John Hardy's caution concerning a recent fairly small trial of the drug that gave it a good report.

As he pointed out, a number of people dropped out of the trial.  And why might that be?  

Quite likely because they were not experiencing any benefits ─ who knows, maybe they even felt some negative effects?

And of course, that left a heavier population of benefited subjects remaining in the trial, thus clearly skewing the efficacy statistics in the drug's favour.

I like NewMarketHealth.com's take on that report ─ safer alternate breakthroughs in the battle against dementia:
For example:
  • Just last month I told you about a study that found acupuncture can help protect the brain from memory loss. The researchers said that this centuries-old treatment "has a significant positive effect" on memory and cognitive function.
  • Last year, a UCLA study found that by treating inflammation, nutritional deficiencies and imbalances, they could actually reverse symptoms of dementia! The treatment consisted of raising vitamin D levels, adding supplements such as DHA, improving gut health and normalizing blood-sugar levels with carefully-controlled fasting. The people in the trial also upped their consumption of fresh fruits and veggies.
  • And almost two years ago I told you about research from the Center for Healthy Aging at the University of Copenhagen, that found medium-chain fatty acids, like what's found in coconut oil, can "postpone aging processes" and help Alzheimer's and Parkinson's patients.
If any of these findings had come from a drug, why, we'd be playing the national anthem while parading some Big Pharma executive down Fifth Avenue!

But until the day comes when an Alzheimer's med actually has to work -- and without killing you in the process -- I'm sure we'll keep seeing more and more glowing banner headlines about risky treatments that end up doing nothing but raising our hopes.

I want to close now with this 41-year-old entry from my journal, back when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting my room in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.
MONDAY, September 22, 1975

I got up at 9:00 a.m.

I went to Woodward's while laundering and bought a chicken and a bar of soap; I lost 2 socks.

I phoned Bill from in front of the Bluebird, and found him willing to walk to Country Boy's ─ his car won't be available till tomorrow.

I treated him, and he bought us a screwdriver apiece.

He commissioned a taxi to get us back to his place.  I went home with some literature.

It is very hot out.

I think last night I may have kissed Cathy; but I cannot recall.

I am really hungover.

Around 2:20 p.m. I lied down and managed with difficulty to gain some sleep; I guess I was overtired; I arose 5:20 p.m.

When I shopped at Woodward's, I was unable to find any whole grain flour or peanut butter.  And the soap I was after was not there either.

Cathy yesterday said mom was rather upset I did not sup on my chicken; some was saved for me.

Bed at 8:30 p.m.
Woodward's used to be located on Sixth Avenue where the Royal City Centre Mall is now; the laundromat, it now seems to me, was located on the other side of the street over near the library. 

My old friend William Alan Gill also lived in New Westminster, and had a bachelor suite not too far from my room.  His car was in a mechanics' shop.  He and I would sometimes attend a smorgasbord located in a shopping plaza at McBride Boulevard & Eighth Avenue.

It seemed to change hands with fair regularity.  At this point, it was Country Boy's; I think prior to that, it was the Family Smorgasbord; and it had originally been Swedana.

I don't remember the store called the Bluebird.  I never had a telephone, so I would have needed to use a payphone to call Bill.

"Cathy" was Catherine Jeanette Gunther ─ my younger brother Mark's girlfriend.  They were renting a home together located on Bentley Road in Whalley.  The house was just a short stroll from 108th Avenue & King George Highway.

September 22nd was Jeanette's birthday, but she had come to my room the day before and taken me back to her place ─ I took along a gallon of wine I had.  And Mark and I got plastered.

After he went to bed and I staggered my way back to New Westminster, I had the vague notion that I may have kissed Jeanette ─ I quite loved the young woman.

I was hoping that the journal entry for her birthday would have mentioned her age, but it did not.  I no longer recall just where she stood in relation to the ages of Mark and I, and I would love to know. 

I had also visited my mother Irene Dorosh the day before ─ I had left a stewing chicken with her a couple of days before that, and I was looking forward to a good stew for my lunch.

But when I arrived, I learned that she and her husband Alex were going to take Jeanette and her two little girls to have breakfast somewhere.  Mark was at work.

I went with my mother and Alex over to the house, and remained there when they took out Jeanette and the girls.

But I grew tired just hanging around, and I was hungry.  I had been up since 2:00 a.m., and had gone on an extremely long walk. 

So I left Jeanette a special fancy skillet and a Western Lottery ticket as birthday gifts ─ plus a note explaining them.  And I walked back to my room in New Westminster.

It was later in the early evening that she came over to fetch me back to her home to help celebrate with Mark her impending birthday.

Anyway, it seems that my mother felt upset that I never got any of the stew she had prepared from the stewing chicken I had left there two days earlier.

So much for 1975.

I am feeling better this afternoon ─ that session out in the sunshine was something of a turnaround, I guess.


Lord, please deliver me from evil....
Post a Comment