.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Monday, September 19, 2016

Blue Light Is Damaging Our Eyes │ Firbomyalgia Relief Through Swimming

We started experiencing rain very early into last evening, and it sustained much of the night.

It wasn't too much after 11:00 p.m. last night before I was in bed.  However, I was to have two bathroom breaks overnight ─ the first ere quite 2:00 a.m., and the second just ahead of 6:00 a.m.

I returned to bed after that latter break, but I'm unsure if I managed any further sleep.  Still, I quite surprised myself when I checked the time later on and saw that it was almost 8:00 a.m.

Time to get up!

Although I did not initially realize it, my youngest step-son Pote was not here.  I thought that he and his girlfriend were sleeping in.

I wanted to finish the edit of an old September 24, 2012, post I've been working on since Thursday at my Siam-Longings website, so I settled in to accomplish that.

I did not anticipate what I was in for ─ I was not finished until near the end of the noon-hour.

But at least the edit has now been published:  Isaan Entertainment Spain.

It was not until afterwards that I noticed that Pote's bed was empty.

Awhile later, I was engaged in some light exercise here upstairs, and then I went downstairs to make my late breakfast/lunch (I actually only had one meal both yesterday and the day before), and I discovered that he and his girlfriend had sneaked back into the house without me being aware.

They must have shown up around 1:20 p.m.

By 1:30 p.m., the aggravating pair were in bed with the light out.

Lord, I wish to blazes he would move away with her, if he's got to be with her this damned much!  I find their conduct most offensive, and detest having it thrust beneath my nose as keeps happening.

I want none of it.

The day has been mainly cloudy, but there have also been lengthy sunny periods.  Nevertheless, it is 3:38 p.m. as I type these words, and it is raining rather smartly.


I often mention how bad my vision is getting, and how working on this computer for the hours a day that I do usually leave me physically taxed ─ I usually have to lie down, and sometimes nap, before I am feeling able to go anywhere.

The effect of spending hours at a stretch working on a post is almost like motion sickness, but without the feeling of nausea.

It is most certainly debilitating.

Well, the following article caught my notice this morning:

It wasn't so the title of the article that drew me to it ─ what caught my attention was the title of the E-mail that contained the article:  This Common Type of Light Can Actually Destroy Your Vision.

I can't afford the supplements ─ and a diet rich in them ─ that the article advances.

This was what I wanted to find out:
It is likely that chronic exposure to unopposed digital blue light from LED and fluorescents will likely contribute to an epidemic of blindness in the next two decades, as it will increase the incident of ARMD, which is already the leading cause of blindness in the U.S.
The article linked to another article that contained this:
Instead [of going to sleep when the Sun sets], we turn on LED lights, computers, televisions, tablets and smartphones, all of which expose us to varying amounts of blue light at a time of day when there's supposed to be next to none.
I haven't investigated how much blue light a computer screen emits, but if I'm staring at it for many, many hours a day, there surely has to be cumulative damage happening to my eyes and my vision.

So I bit the bullet and followed a recommendation ─ I ordered two pairs of the glasses designed to block blue light:  Uvex model (S1933X).

I saw that they were cheaper at the U.S. Amazon than the Canadian Amazon, but that probably wouldn't be significant once the conversion of the dollars was done.

So I ordered two pairs from the Canadian Amazon.

Why two?

Well, the price of two pairs surpassed the threshold that qualifies for free shipping.

I'll try watching T.V. with the glasses on; and if they do not diminish my appreciation of what I am watching, then I will give my younger brother Mark the second pair to hopefully facilitate his sleep when he goes to bed at night.

However, neither of us is prone to insomnia when we first go to bed.  Our trouble is waking up after a few hours of sleep and then having difficulty returning to sleep.

That is likely something that is never going to change.

Alas, the glasses are not projected to arrive here until September 27 ─ the penalty for choosing free shipping.  I guess the shipment delay is imposed to discourage customers from choosing the free service.


What does the following article that is reporting on an analysis of two studies say to you?  One of the two studies was well over three decades in duration:

What is not readily apparent is that the meat was in all forms ─ it included any kind of processed meat.

If anyone is eating lots of processed meat on a daily basis, then he or she is definitely going to have problems with his or her health eventually ─ no study is required to know that.

Why not do a study of meat-eaters who only eat unprocessed meats?

Are there none?

Let's avoid studies that proclaim findings that are actually deceptive in nature.


I would hate to have fibromyalgia, and I am certainly glad that no one I love has ever suffered with it.

Apparently a study has found that swimming ─ and walking, for those who can bear doing it ─ for  just 50 minutes at a time, three days a week, can reduce the pain of fibromyalgia by about half.

Here are three reports on the study, if you're interested:





Yet another study has found that physicians are prescribing more tests for their patients than often can possibly be required:

The following tips or recommendations were offered at NewMarketHealth.com, but how many patients have the backbone to ask their doctors the following four questions?
  1. How reliable and accurate is this test?
  2.  What if I do nothing? Could this condition improve on its own?
  3. What alternative tests are available? CT scans and X-rays will exposure you to radiation, and while it's a small amount, the risk involved accumulates with each one you take.
  4. For blood work, ask how many vials are required and why. Your doctor should have a valid reason for each blood test being ordered.

My wife Jack phoned me around 4:20 p.m. or soon after.  She wanted me to take a container of her awesome spaghetti sauce out of the freezer ─ evidently she is planning to come home to do some cooking. 

She was last here on Tuesday, if I am remembering right ─ almost a week ago. 

So I told her that I couldn't ─ Pote was in bed with his girlfriend.

It's necessary to walk right by the bed to a sliding glass door in order to access the freezer.

"Oh," she said.  "Okay, I'll phone him."

I never heard any conversation coming from the boys' den area where Pote has his bed, but after about 10 minutes I did hear him banging about in the kitchen, putting something heavily into the sink.

I had best close now with this 41-year-old entry from my journal, back when I was 25 years old and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting the room at was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

I only worked one day a week ─ usually Friday ─ at a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that today is known as Fraserside Community Services Society

I was a swamper on their blue pick-up truck that was usually driven by Esther St. Jean, a sweet woman in her early 40s.

At that time, S.A.N.E. was located in a building that used to be situated right about where the New Westminster SkyTrain Station empties out onto Carnarvon Street.
FRIDAY, September 19, 1975

I got up just after 5:30 a.m.

I dreamed I was on a farm of sorts, with a great many people.  I seemed younger.  A fat hand took a disliking to me, and pursued me about the place trying to kill me while everyone followed the proceedings.  There was a scene where I was running in a vegetable field, leaping into a dive, and then gliding about.  A childish Mark was there, and I tried to teach him the technique, but he hadn't the confidence.  Then I went to meet the man after me, intent on a man to man showdown as somehow I'd developed a bodybuilder's physique.

Note:  Yesterday at dad's, the radio was tuned to the CBC; maybe I've converted them finally as I did mom.

After depositing my paper at the welfare office, before going to S.A.N.E. I planned to buy a pullover shirt; however, a development on the right of my neck quelled my ambition.

Bill & I had 2 loads to handle at the Knox Church in Sapperton before lunch this cloudless day; I dined on Granola.

Back at S.A.N.E. we moved in 2 loads an old woman who took an especial dislike to Bill, imagining him to be drunk.

We expected to do a rummage sale all day, but this was set for Monday.  So we were discharged about 4:10 p.m.

I was fagged and overheated here at home, and actually lied down; but I soon got into my exercises and got them out of the way, then showered.

About 7:00 p.m. I went to Art's; Keith as well as Charlene were there.  She is prettier than I judged a week ago, I believe.

Later on, a couple, Rob & Wendy with their new baby, came over for a while.  They left, and eventually so did Keith.

Before going to work earlier, Angie requested I come over on Tuesday or something when she was off work.  And of course, Art was full of possibilities to keep me showing up with frequency.

When he & I were alone, he got into the sick maudlin bit trying to work on my guilt by practically begging I come over and help him get back into shape; else he'll decay further and further, by my fault, not having motivation tho he supposedly had not smoked 5 days, and would quit boozing too.

Yeah, sure.

I sure hope in 9 days I can win a huge sum and break away from these sick situations.  I resisted all pressures and only had one vodka.

Late, toward 2:00 a.m., he pressured me into going to the Pacific Café with him for a snack, his treat.  We found Mike, Dave Wyatt, and a friend Carey there, who were very friendly to me, probably being drunk.

Art "bought" us a coffee and fish & chips (with gravy), only to discover, fortunately in Angie's presence, he was broke; so she paid the tab.

Back at Art's, he drew closer & closer to sleep, and after 3 sometime, I sneaked away as he snored peacefully.

Seems Keith is obsessed with Charlene, tho I never guessed.

Bed at 3:30 a.m.
My younger brother Mark figured in that dream. 

I sometimes will still dream of being able to stretch out and start gliding through the air ─ and other times while running in a dream, I am able to stretch forth a leg and make incredible long glides in that fashion. 

My employment with S.A.N.E. was through an employment initiatives or incentives project in place with New Westminster social services ─ I was paid the going social assistance rate for a single person each month, plus some extra nominal figure for working at S.A.N.E.

I had to submit a declaration of need each month to social services for the partnership to continue.

Alas, my bad complexion stopped me from shopping ─ evidently I had developed an especially ugly (to me, anyway) pimple on my neck.

My co-swamper at S.A.N.E. was Bill Sevenko ─ I suspect that he was middle-aged, but I honestly cannot remember him any longer.

I often hiked back to my room for lunch, and that is where I had the "Granola."

Art Smith had also worked part-time a S.A.N.E. ─ he was into his early 40s, but we had formed a pretty good friendship.  However, he had grown to be very grasping of my company, for he seemed to want me around to drink with more than he did anyone else.

His wife Angie (Angelina) was a waitress at the Pacific Café on Columbia Street ─ she was in her early 30s, and had something going for me.

I remember absolutely nothing of the people I mentioned as having been at Art's home that evening. 

As for those at the Pacific Café, I only recall Mike Schutz ─ I always liked him.  I regret that I never maintained contact with him when I moved out of New Westminster later in the 1970s.

If I truly only had one drink of vodka in all those hours I was with Art, then I am quite amazed at myself.
Post a Comment