.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Thursday, September 29, 2016

Elder Sexually Active Men at Twice the Risk of Heart-Attacks and Strokes │ Unnecessary Weight-Loss Surgeries

Good behaviour found me in bed ahead of midnight last night and my first break in sleep thereafter was around 4:22 a.m. ─ that is when I became aware enough to think of checking the time, and making a visit to the bathroom.

My younger brother Mark was already up, perhaps readying to take his shower ere dressing for his workday.

My sleep was very intermittent thereafter, and it may have been around 7:22 a.m. when I checked the time and decided to rise.

I wasn't feeling particularly rejuvenated.

I set to work adding more content to the post I started on Monday at my Omatsu Okiya website, but by the time I had completed half of what I had hoped to get done, I felt done.

My youngest step-son Pote and his girlfriend were not yet up, so I decided that I would make a return to bed to try and seek a nap.  It could not have been too long after 10:00 a.m.

I was down for maybe an hour, and I felt that I did benefit ─ but I looked rather haggard.  Still, I opted to head out to the small backyard shed for some neglected exercise ─ I could hear Pote and his girlfriend talking in bed as I passed by the boys' den area where Pote sleeps.

The day seemed to be cloudless, but the shed was distinctly chilly.

I had no idea if the young couple were going to be home all day.  However, into the noon-hour she left and headed on out to a waiting car that I have seen associated with her before ─ whether it is operated by a parent, sibling, or some friend, I have no idea.

I wanted to benefit from some of the sunshine, so at 12:41 p.m. I commenced just over 40 minutes seated in a chair out in the backyard, facing into the Sun.  I wore just cut-offs.

How much longer this year is this going to be possible, I wonder?

While I was out there, Pote apparently left ─ I assume that he had to work, and must have hustled off to catch a bus.

I was alone, and delighted.

Before I move on, I want to post the following photo and the description I gave it in the Google album where I have the image stored:

My wife Jack had me take quite a number of photos of her on her iPhone 6 in the mid-afternoon of September 8 (2016).

The setting was our backyard.

Here, she is at the back left corner of our home as determined while facing its back.  That is a neighbour's home on the other side of the fence ─ our home is unseen.

I only managed to surreptitiously upload a fraction of the photos I took of her that afternoon ─ at the time I did the upload, she was busy in the kitchen.

Quite early this month, a study made some news headlines because it proclaimed to have found that older men who were sexually active were twice as likely to experience cardiovascular disease events such as heart-attacks and strokes.

Here are some of those reports on the study:



I read a great postulation as to why this may now be the case, whereas in much earlier studies, regular sex for older men was deemed highly beneficial.

I did not know this, but it seems that the first ED (erectile dysfunction) drug was approved in 1998.  The sex study that is reported on above involved questionnaires first given to the study participants in 2005 - 2006, and then again five years later.

So maybe the sex enhancement medications now broadly in use by so many older men ─ medications which have widely-reported risks ─ are coming into play for the adverse cardiac events that men are now experiencing.

You can read the full explanation in jacksdailydose.com here:  Skip sex to reduce heart risk? No way!


Yesterday I got quite involved here offering a couple of medical experts' refutations of a recently-published study that maintained that statins offer more benefits than they do harm.

Just about every one of the authors of that study were financially involved with the pharmaceutical industry.

Well, I see that jacksdailydose.com had something to express concerning that study, too ─ if you are at all interested, have a look:  WARNING: Mainstream trying to silence statin critics.


It's starting to look like there is a 'Diabetes Industry' building up, perhaps taking its cue from the 'Cancer Industry.'

Don't offer a damned bit of advice or counsel that relates to any natural methods that might actually cure the condition.  Instead, just talk of more and more drugs; and rake in more and more cash for expensive treatments and surgeries.

As I detailed a little yesterday, my old friend William Alan Gill ruined his life late in the 1970s by undergoing one of the stomach surgeries to help him lose weight.

He ended up losing his job because he was spending half of his shifts in the toilet.

They finally recommended him for a lifelong disability pension that was approved, and he never worked again.

But neither did he ever have much money ─ because he had not worked all that many years to build up a decent contribution figure to the Canada Pension Plan, his pension was relatively small.

And he was just in his early 30s.

He had to give up driving because he could no longer afford a car and all that went with it.

And because of his limited income, he felt that he had to throw in with his mother Anne Gregory so that the two of them could face life's expensive hurdles together.

People should not be getting advised to undergo expensive procedures such as bariatric surgeries to alleviate Type 2 diabetes and to lose weight ─ note this excerpt from an excellent New York Times report:
Glucose is the breakdown product of carbohydrates, which are found principally in wheat, rice, corn, potatoes, fruit and sugars. Restricting these foods keeps blood glucose low. Moreover, replacing those carbohydrates with healthy protein and fats, the most naturally satiating of foods, often eliminates hunger. People can lose weight without starving themselves, or even counting calories.
The report  is vital reading, and ought to be eye-opening for many, I hope: 

It is outlandish and bizarre to me that the American Diabetes Association states that "there is no conclusive evidence of an ideal amount of carbohydrate intake for people with diabetes."    

I am going to have to break off and rest my eyes ─ I have been experiencing a migraine aura or halo, and it is becoming very troubling.

I don't get migraines, but my bad eyes do sometimes undergo a sort of sickening swirling of my vision ─ almost like a vortex that distorts my ability to see print.

I wanted to get deeper into this topic, but by the time I return to my post, it will be to close off.  It will have gotten too late into my day.


Here to close today's post is a 41-year-old entry from my journal, back when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small unit in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

It was my plan to hike out and visit my mother Irene Dorosh in Surrey

Her home has since been demolished, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue ─ the Kennedy Heights area.  The address was my main mailing address.

To hike directly there from my room would take about 1½ hours, but I had of late begun taking a far longer route to get there, basically doubling the distance.

I hated traffic, so to avoid most of it required me to set out very early.  My most outward destination was to follow the King George Highway until I reached 72nd Avenue (Newton Road).  I would turn right onto that for a short distance to achieve the B.C. Hydro Railway (now the Sourhern Railway of British Columbia) tracks; and then I would turn right onto them and follow them until I got to the Surrey terminus of 90th Avenue at Holt Road.

My mother lived a very short distance down 90th Avenue ─ maybe a half-dozen or so homes ─ on the right-hand side.

My bedtime the evening before this journal entry was 8:35 p.m.
MONDAY, September 29, 1975

I didn't arise till after 4:20 a.m.

I am leaving for mom's via Newton at 5:30 a.m.

There was extensive fog, though it wasn't always particularly thick.

I did a very satisfying run from Kennedy Road to the Hydro tracks, and the shin splint condition I noticed developing last Thursday was no hindrance.

When I got to mom's, Sherry was preparing for school; mom walked her over to Phyllis' place for some reason.  And while she was gone, my glutting was interrupted by a phonecall from Cathy wondering if mom was going to go with them to Vancouver (to pay the Reno trip price; Cathy to apply at B.C. Hydro).  

I resigned myself to a lengthy bit of ear punishment, but not too very long later it occurred to me to tell her to try phoning mom at Phyllis'.

I was freed.

Mom came in quite soon after, and called Cathy; she, Mark, & Pam came shortly for mom, and I was left alone.

Before I began dining, I weighed in at 184, possibly less, and this really pleased me.

The Good News was my only mail.

Mom returned with the others about 11:40 a.m.; they stayed till perhaps 12:30 p.m.

My walk home was in very sunny weather.

I feel regretful at how much I eat at mom's; I wish I could win lots of money and repay her & Alex for the blessing they have been.

This is the third day in a row wherein I have had time only for one shower.

I have been strongly afflicted with indigestion thanks to mom's delicious cabbage rolls.

My bedtime:  8:30 p.m.  
Sherry was the young daughter of my older maternal half-sister Phyllis.  I am struggling to remember where Phyllis was then living if my mother was able to walk Sherry there.

I had scant food back at my room, for I only had an extremely limited income.  Thus, whenever I was exposed to food, I would compulsively overeat.

It was Catherine Jeanette Gunther ─ my younger brother Mark's girlfriend of the time ─ who phoned while my mother was out.  Jeanette had two young daughters, and Pamela Susan was the youngest ─ I don't remember that the older girl was attending pre-school or anything like that, so I cannot say why she didn't come with her mother and Mark to pick up my mother.    

When it was time for me to return to my New Westminster room, I would take the direct route home ─ not that very long route I took in the morning.

I was showering twice a day because I mistakenly believed that my body acne would exacerbate  if I did not.  

Here in my older age, I have often rued that the Internet did not exist back then.  But if it had ─ and if I had ready access to it ─ I probably would never have been undertaking the regular long walks that I used to involve myself with.

Still, I cannot help but wonder if the knowledge and worldwide contacts that the Web would have allowed me might have changed my life dramatically ─ possibly I would have learned how easy it was to teach English abroad, for example.

Instead, I was socially marginalized and always living on the fringes.  And my life was to be so limited and sadly mediocre with very few opportunities presented that I was ever able to recognize.
Post a Comment