.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Friday, September 23, 2016

Medications Causing Nutritional Deficiencies │ Popular 'Useless' Surgeries

My memory is definitely not what it was a few decades ago ─ once again, I fail to recall my precise bedtime last night, but I know that it was comfortably ahead of midnight.

Early that evening, my eldest step-son Tho engaged me in the kitchen when I was preparing a quick light supper.  He said that he wanted to buy me a bottle of liquor ─ and my younger brother Mark, too.

I queried as to why, and learned that he was evidently celebrating his good fortune at work ─ he had been promoted somewhat and was getting a $2-hourly raise in his wage.

There was even some sort of title that went with the raise or promotion ─ something like a lead lineman.  That probably was not the correct term that he used, for the company he works for makes mattresses (and possibly other bedding products, for all I know).

He even took a couple of cellphone photos of what I am currently drinking for liquor; and after I showed him an example online, a cheap brand of Scotch for Mark ─ Tho didn't know what Scotch was.

Mark knows none of this yet ─ if Tho comes through and presents a bottle of Scotch to Mark this evening, he will most definitely be pleased about it.

I must have been more tired than I was aware, for after I fell asleep last night, it was nearly 6:00 a.m. before I became conscious enough to be curious of the time.

I used the bathroom, and awhile after returning to bed, I heard it raining outside.  I had been fully expecting yet another sunny day in the string of such days we have enjoyed.

Oh, well.

I think I managed a little further sleep before getting up well ahead of 8:00 a.m.

My youngest step-son Pote was also up ─ I had heard him escorting his overnighted girlfriend away shortly after 6:00 a.m.  I don't know if she had a ride waiting outside, or if he walked her to a bus.

I got to work on the post I started Tuesday at my Siam-Longings website, but there came a point where I had to break off and actually return to bed.  My butt, back, and eyes were taxed.

I didn't think that I had managed a nap, but I rose anew to find that Pote was gone ─ probably to work for the day.

I worked a little longer on the website, and then began readying for a local shopping expedition to No Frills about four blocks away in the Cedar Hills shopping plaza at 128th Street & 96th Avenue here in Surrey.

It was 12:07 p.m. when I set off in some rain.

There was nothing of note to report about the excursion, although I did find myself in proximity in the dairy section to a chap who reminded me of a former co-worker.  I'm still in touch with his wife Angela ─ also a former co-worker ─ so I'll have to mention it to her in an E-mail.

After arriving back home, I discovered two packages that had been left:  one was for my wife Jack, and the other was for me from Amazon.ca.

Back on September 19 I had ordered two pairs of Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear, and the projected delivery date given me was September 27 (because I had opted for free delivery).

I want to block blue light ─ I recently read that such light is damaging our eyes.  I stare at a computer screen for many hours a day, and my vision has deteriorated severely over the years.

I've been trying the glasses since I started this post, but I have to admit that they are making it more difficult to read print because it is less distinct.  Also, I am having difficulty detecting links in text because the difference in coloration is less obvious while wearing the glasses.

I hope I don't end up giving up on them.


I want to post this old photo from my brother Mark's collection ─ the description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the scanned image stored.

Note that I had to scan the image from within the album into which the photo was glued somewhat askew:

I only know this chap as Bob ─ he was a friend of my younger brother Mark and Mark's girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther.

Actually, Bob was part of a couple I only remember as Bob & Mary.

This photo was probably taken in 1974 or 1975.

It's impossible for me to venture a location, apart from the obvious involving a barbecue with a picnic table present.

The Harvard Medical School publishes a Harvard Health Letter that recently issued a warning about how certain medications are causing various nutritional deficiencies:
...Long-term use is a different story. In some cases, a drug may interfere with your body's ability to absorb a nutrient from dietary sources. Such is the case with proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs), used to reduce acid reflux and heartburn. PPIs can keep you from absorbing vitamin B12, and low B12 levels in the blood can lead to confusion, muscle weakness, and falls.

In other cases, medications may interfere with natural processes needed to produce nutrients. For example, cholesterol-lowering drugs called statins inhibit the production of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10). CoQ10 plays important roles in preserving the energy supplies of our cells.

And other medications may cause deficiencies of several nutrients at a time. For example, some diuretics to lower blood pressure can deplete magnesium, potassium, and calcium. Another example: PPIs can cause low calcium and magnesium levels, as well as low B12 levels.

In addition to PPIs, statins, and diuretics, common offenders include anticonvulsants and corticosteroids, both of which may reduce levels of calcium and vitamin D; the diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage, Riomet), which may reduce levels of folic acid and vitamin B12; and the Parkinson's drugs levodopa and carbidopa (Sinemet), which may reduce levels of vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and folic acid.
Anyone taking a handful or more per day of medication is in need of a serious re-think.

Many of the medications lavishly prescribed are just not necessary ─ there are healthier means of achieving the intended results.

Maybe it's time to ditch the mainstream physicians and consult with one who is more aware. 

I don't know anything about the American College for Advancement of Medicine (ACAM), but I have seen them recommended; they seem to have members worldwide ─ just go to the 'Search' feature and see just who might turn up and is located near you.


Apart from rampant over-prescription of medications, physicians seem to refuse to keep up to date on the latest research involving procedures like back surgeries.

There is a lot of money in surgeries!

If you have pondered whether a back surgery ─ or even knee surgery for a torn meniscus ─ could help you, you should refer to this recent report:

Quite coincidentally, that same title was used recently for this comprehensive article:

Even colonoscopies are coming under scrutiny as not being the best procedure for examinations for colon cancers.

One doctor ─ Marc S. Micozzi, M.D. , Ph.D. ─ had the following advice to offer concerning these matters:
My suggestion?

1. When it comes to colon cancer screenings, skip the "routine" colonoscopies. Instead, opt for widely available Cologuard that detects fecal DNA in the stool. Evidence shows it's even more sensitive and accurate than other proven "alternatives." You can even ask for the camera pill, if your doctor will agree to it.

2. For back pain, try spinal manual therapy provided by a licensed chiropractor and physical therapy before considering any kind of surgery.

3. For joint pain, try the ABCs of joint health -- ashwaganda, boswellia and curcumin (400 to 500 mg each daily). Research shows they are highly effective at relieving pain (and avoiding surgery), especially when used in combination.
One Canadian website ─ cancer.ca ─ states that the Cologuard "hasn’t been approved for use in Canada yet:"  Research in colorectal cancer.

That same source also seems a tad negative on the so-called 'camera pill:'  "Capsule endoscopy does not seem to be as good as colonoscopy at finding polyps or abnormalities."

However, this is the website of the Canadian Cancer Society, after all ─ and cancer is a huge money-generating industry!


Well, eldest step-son Tho came home from work early in the latter afternoon and he did indeed have a bottle of rye whisky for me ─ not the brand I have on hand, however.  He could not locate it.

But alcohol is alsohol!

He also has a bottle of Scotch for my younger brother Mark.  But Tho and I decided to not just leave it out for Mark.  Rather, it is wisest to assess his state when he gets home this evening.

If he's already plastered, then the bottle can await tomorrow morning when Mark will be sober.

It is time now to close out with a 41-year-old entry from my journal, back when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster

I was renting the small unit in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

I had gone to bed the previous evening at 8:30 p.m. 

My big plan for the day was an early departure on a long hike out in Surrey to visit my mother Irene Dorosh in the Kennedy Heights area.  That little home is now gone, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue, and it was my main mailing address.

To get there I had recently begun traveling the King George Highway all the way to Newton's 72nd Avenue; once there, just a short distance along that avenue to the right were the B.C. Hydro railway tracks (as identifiable here).

I would then take to those, and ─ turning right again ─ walk them until I was at the Surrey terminus of 90th Avenue at Holt Road.   

My mother lived just a half-dozen or so homes down 90th Avenue, on the right-hand side of the road.
TUESDAY, September 23, 1975

I was still awake last night when the 10:00 p.m. cuckoo sounded upstairs, so it may have been even 2 hours before I finally got to sleep, only to awake shortly before 3:00 a.m.

Today marks the beginning of Fall.

My room here is really muggy.

Departure for mom's via Newton:  4:55 a.m.

I left the sweater I wore home Sunday night on Mark's front steps.

All day I have felt logey, and my jog from Bear Creek to the Newton Road tracks was very stressful; my stomach felt bruised inside, and I perspired copiously.

At mom's I overate.

The only mail was a notice for Christmas stamps.

Manpower called there for me, just checking to learn if I was employed.

And later, while mom shopped, Cathy called, so I spoke to her.  In 2 weeks her family (Mark, she, & kids) and mom & Alex are going to spend the week-end at Barriere with Greta & mate; and the following week, on my birthday, mom & Alex are going to Reno.

I am determined to curb my appetite.

I waved at Mark as he whizzed by me on the bridge headed home.

I stopped in at Wong's and bought 3 comics; Avengers # 142 contained a letter by Terri.  My reason was to pick up on costumes again, anticipating a lottery win of dimension come Sunday.

Toward 7:00 p.m., I succumbed to Gallery's Debbie Jones.  I find myself too displeased with myself to be able to exercise.

To bed at 9:00 p.m.
My brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther were living on Bentley Road in Whalley.  The house was very near to 108th Avenue & King George Highway, so it was close to hand for me to leave the sweater I had been loaned for the late-night hike from their home to my room back in New Westminster.

I was generally jogging upon reaching 88th Avenue, all the way to 72nd Avenue.

I did not eat very well on my own, so anytime I had access to ample fare I became gluttonous.  I was unable to restrict myself.

The "notice for Christmas stamps" was from the Canadian Post Office detailing their next commemorative issue.

The Department of Manpower and Immigration was responsible back then for things like unemployment and unemployment insurance.

It was Jeanette who phoned while my mother was out shopping.  I remember nothing of them all going to Barriere to visit my mother's Dutch or German friend Greta (and whoever she was involved with at the time).  I'm a little surprised to read about it.

My return hike to New Westminster was the direct route ─ not the doubly-long roundabout route I had taken in the morning.  Mark was probably working in a mill back then, and was driving across the Pattullo Bridge from the New Westminster side when I noticed him and waved.

Wong's convenience store was located on Sixth Street, possibly about two blocks uphill from the Royal Towers Hotel.

I was fascinated by the costumes of superheroes and supervillains ─ I had been for years. But comics were becoming expensive, and I had fallen away from maintaining my collections.  The upcoming lottery was of course to fail me ─ I was never to win a major cash prize in the decades I participated since then.

Terri Martin was a recent pen-pal I had taken on ─ she had a fan letter in that issue I mentioned of The Avengers.

Gallery model Debbie Jones evidently led me to release some sexual tension, and doing so usually caused me considerable guilt.

So what else is new, as they say?  Enough of 1975.

By the way, even though it has rained just about all day, I heard on the radio this afternoon that we are supposed to somehow have a sunny weekend ─ the day is supposedly just an aberance in the streak of sunny days we've been enjoying.

I'm going to have to wait and see that eventuality for myself ─ I am doubtful.

Now, concerning the glasses I have been wearing to block damaging blue light from the glaring computer screen, I  have to remove them at times in order to clearly identify colours; and I have to strain considerably to read at all ─ text looks so faded.

And it's almost impossible to read my hand-written journal entry with them over my eyes ─ I have even resorted to a magnifying glass.

So although they probably do a grand job of blocking blue light, they make it extremely difficult to actually do extensive work on something like my blog.
Post a Comment