.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The Nasal Bacterium That Produces a Powerful Antibiotic

My wife Jack showed up around 6:30 p.m. last evening ─ my younger brother Mark had not preceded her by very much.

And at some point in the mix, Pote and his girlfriend also arrived home.

I wasn't downstairs, so the sequence is lot to me ─ for all I know, Jack brought Pote and Priyanka with her after picking them up from somewhere.

My eldest step-son Tho is still absent ─ he was last home on Saturday, and I have no idea where he went.

I haven't bothered to ask Jack ─ I don't care where he went.  I just want him to take his time returning ─ and it's most unfortunate that Pote was not with him.

As it developed, Jack was here to spend the night, so she was busy in the kitchen for a long while cooking.

But it was a fairly late night, and I had a very difficult time of it trying to keep interested in television programming while I waited for Jack to finally go to bed.  After yesterday's good long walk, I was feeling very tired and in need of my bedtime.

When I did realize that Jack had retired, I quickly did the same ─ it was 1:25 a.m. once I was into bed.

After my first break in solid sleep, it was approaching 5:15 a.m. when I availed myself of the bathroom.

And I think that it was something like 8:07 a.m. when I checked the time and decided to get up for the day.  I saw that we had experienced some rain overnight.

I got busy laying the foundation for a new post at my Thai-Iceland website.

Meantime, Jack got up for the day, and did some cooking.

Then she showered and whatever else in the bathroom, getting dressed to go out.  Most fortunately, Pote and Priyanka went with her.

This had to have been no later than 11:30 a.m., and Jack left saying that she would be back.

It is 2:09 p.m. as I type these words, and she has yet to return.

But at least I have the house to myself ─ i.e., no step-sons.

The overcast day has broken up, and we're enjoying a fair amount of sunshine.

This is the first day of the new school term.  I shall miss being able to get out during the week to shop and not have to worry about hordes of schoolkids choking the sidewalks at key points in the day.  

Yesterday ─ Labour Day ─ I posted about a rather decent walk I had undertaken.  I was gone for nearly three hours.

The most peaceful part of that long walk was when I took to the railway tracks at 128th Street & 84th Avenue here in Surrey, and slowly followed them in the direction of Scott Road & Nordel Way.

I have walked that stretch of railway tracks at some time or other over darned near the past 50 years, so it holds much for me that is heavily nostalgic.

I took three photos in that stretch, and already have them posted to a Google album with descriptions.

Here are the photos, and much of what I offered concerning them:

I took a good, long walk on Labour Day (yesterday) ─ September 4, 2016 ─ to a stretch of railway tracks at 128th Street & 84th Avenue, and followed them towards Nordel Way here in Surrey, B.C.

I have frequented that stretch of tracks since at least as far back as 1967, but in recent years I rarely ever tread that route.

I noticed several trails as I travelled along 128th Street from 88th Avenue to those railway tracks; and this trail was a short distance from the railway tracks where transmission towers have their power-lines crossing high above the rails.

I could only wonder who utilizes these various trails, and just where do they lead?

In my younger years I would have explored, but I am now 66 years of age and do not have enough of that adventurous spirit.
For no especial reason, I took this photo of some heavily-blooming plant at the edge of the railway bed as I walked the tracks.

I am not an expert, but that spread of plants just this side of the blooming clump may well be foxgloves.
There is a spot where a stream passes under the railway tracks.

The waters you see leading from the bottom of this photo are immediately after where they have flown beneath the railway tracks; but just past that jutting bit of land at the left centre of the photo is where another culvert empties its waters to join with those that have passed beneath the tracks.

This Google map indicates that the stream or creek is Mahood Creek.

However, if that is true, is it only after the two water sources have joined that this name applies?

Or does one of the two streams also bear the name Mahood?

And if so, which one?

Google does not display this creek as originating anywhere else but approximately where I took this photo, yet the two water sources have to be coming from somewhere!

Why is there no indication of them on the map before this, I wonder?
I was standing on 90th Avenue as I took the shot of the stop sign ─ Surrey's 90th Avenue ends at that sign, and it is Holt Road that extends left and right.

Holt Road leads to Scott Road just a short distance along if one proceeds to the right along Holt.

Just beyond that yellow barrier on the far side of Holt Road are railway tracks; and beyond them, Scott Road (120th Street) runs left and right.

The traffic light that you can see in the distance marks where Delta's 90th Avenue ends at Scott Road.

Behind me from where I stood ─ and on the opposite side of 90th Avenue, just a few houses down the road ─ a small house used to exist with the address 12106 - 90th Avenue.

My mother Irene Dorosh and her husband Alex lived there for many years.

And then my younger brother Mark and his girlfriend of the time bought the house from them, and lived there until an ugly break-up resulted in the house having to be sold.

In back of the house, there was always a rich garden filled with vegetables.  And there were blueberry bushes, and raspberry canes.  Also, several fruit trees ─ apples, pears, plums, and even a peach tree.

Now there is just an empty fenced lot where all of that once existed.

I believe that Mark's beloved German shepherd Daboda is buried there still.

Apparently around 9% of us carry a nasal bacterium named Staphylococcus lugdunensis.

Those of us who do have the bacterium are very fortunate, for it produces an antibiotic that has been named lugdunin ─ and this substance can eradicate staph bacteria, as well as subdue a wide range of other bacteria, including antibiotic-resistant strains such as MRSA and Enterococcus.

Of the people who become infected with MRSA (antibiotic-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), one out of every seven or eight tend to die.

Clearly, having a thriving population of Staphylococcus lugdunensis resident in one's nose can only be a good thing! 
Lugdunin is a previously unknown antibiotic powerful enough to eradicate MRSA bacteria, even when significantly outnumbered. Lugdunin can act against other pathogens currently resistant to various antibiotics, such as strains of Enterococcus, meningitis, and bronchitis-causing Streptococcus pneumonia bacteria, according to research.
That quote is from this report:

Here are a few other reports on the research:

Science alert

One of those reports stated this:
While experts are warning that MRSA will eventually become resistant to Lugdunin – they've already been fighting in the human body for a long, long time – it's an important chink of light in the challenge of staying one step ahead of the superbugs.
While another said this:
The researchers found lugdunin had bacterial activity against many major pathogens and S. aureus isolates had “pronounced susceptibility” to lugdunin in all nasal and clinical samples. So it may be quite difficult for S. aureus to develop resistance against lugdunin, they say.
That leads me to wonder if the antibiotic lugdunin is best left alone and not any attempts be made to replicate it.  If it becomes commercially available, then it will be dreadfully overused ─ it is just how people are.

And the bad bugs will develop immunity.

Instead, maybe the best path to tread is to try and establish optimal populations of Staphylococcus lugdunensis and allow them to do the good work that they have been doing all along.  

It may be that the bacterium understands how best to use lugdunin, and that is one reason its foes have never been able to defend against the antibiotic.

But as soon as Mankind starts spreading lugdunin all over the place as is done with all other antibiotics, then organisms will indeed learn how to defend against it.


My wife Jack and her two young charges were back by about 2:50 p.m.

The youngsters subsequently took her car and bombed off.

While I was helping Jack register online with a credit card so she could access so-called 'bonus dollars' to apply towards a payment she charged today for a round-trip flight to Thailand, her eldest son Tho finally showed up from wherever he's been since Saturday ─ I still don't know. 

Then towards 5:00 p.m. while he was showering, Jack took his car so she could do whatever it is that she felt she needed to do.  

And that has given me the opportunity to close today's post with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the room in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.
SATURDAY, September 6, 1975

I arose near 8:30 a.m., but did not sleep that late.  Another sunny day greeted me.

Around 11:30 a.m. came knocking; after the third set, Art called out.  I answered.

He said dad had phoned him for the second time wanting him to go to the Best.  Apparently he and Marie got into it last night, and she called the police or something, and he spent the night in jail.

Art wanted me to go with him to pick him up and take him home and have a drink, but I talked him out of it, I guess, for dad never expressed any intentions; maybe he'll drink all day.

My plan today is the smorgasbord.

I gave Art the boots and 2 Playboys, and he left, having the kids in the truck. 

About 2:40 p.m., leaving Bill a note, I left, mailing another entry to the "Bank Account Contest," checking Bill's place in vain to see if his car was home, and heading for Woodward's to see if I could find a boiling chicken (no).

I bought Comet, soap, and eggs.

Stopping at the meat store across the avenue, I again failed to find a boiler, but bought liver instead.

I came home to find my note still on the door.  

Thus, at 3:30 p.m. I set about making pancakes for myself, dismissing Bill & smorgasbord plans.

He came while I was half way through exercising, saying he had to work today.  He came to take me over to Mark's.

Once there, we each had a beer.

There was no beer at the liquor store, so I donated my Caraval sherry (80 ozs).

Mark & Bill went off to locate more drink thereafter.

They apparently toured quite a bit, for they never returned for a great while; fortunately, Cathy fell asleep.

With them were some A & W eats.

I am sure I didn't retire till after 4:00 a.m.

Bill has a courtesy car while his own is being worked on (he now drives a black Pinto).
My first visitor that day was Art Smith, an older chap in his early 40s with whom I had worked and subsequently formed a friendship of sorts. 

My father Hector and his girlfriend Maria Fadden had problems controlling their drinking.  The two of them shared an apartment in Burnaby, and I suspect that the Best Hotel was also in Burnaby.

Perhaps it was even the Best Western Plus Kings Inn Hotel on Kingsway, but it's also possible that the hotel my father was drinking in was something far less reputable.

I feel a little bad now that I talked Art out of seeking out my father, but had we gone to the Best, it would have only meant that I would have been ensnared into drinking and wasting my entire day.

I had promised Art a pair of boots, so I turned those over to him ─ along with the porn magazines.

My old friend William Alan Gill didn't live too far from me, and we generally got together on weekends.  I left a note on my door letting him know that I was out, but had only gone to Woodward's ─ which was then where the Royal City Centre Mall is today on Sixth Avenue near Sixth Street. 

"The meat store" would have been across Sixth Avenue ─ probably fairly near the public library.

Once I was back at my room in the mid-afternoon, I could hold off on eating no longer, so I got at those pancakes ─ I made them from scratch, and never bought the packaged mixes.

I'm surprised that I was able to exercise after I had eaten, but I don't mention just when it was that Bill finally showed up ─ perhaps it was into the early evening by then.

My younger brother Mark and his girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther were renting a home together that was located on Bentley Road in Whalley.  The house was fairly near to the King George Highway & 108th Avenue.

There was a beer strike happening, so stocks disappeared fast anytime some were shipped to a government liquor store.

I never mentiond what sort of drink Mark and Bill ended up buying, but I am a little surprised that my 80 ounces of sherry were inadequate for us.

It was clearly a late night, and I am certain that we all got nicely blasted before Bill drove himself and me back to New Westminster.
Post a Comment