.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Thursday, October 6, 2016

Beware MRSA Baceria in Your Raw Poultry │ Latinos Age Slower Than Other Ethnicities │ Is Chromium-6 in Your Drinking Water?

E-mails enmeshed me late last evening, but I still managed to make it to bed a few minutes before midnight ─ very few.

I think that it may have been around 4:15 a.m. when my first break in sleep had me avail myself of the bathroom, but I managed to fall back asleep rather easily.

Then around 6:45 a.m. I was aware of someone moving about in the bedroom.  I was wearing earplugs and a blindfold, so I had to listen to be certain that I was not misinterpreting noises that were instead in the hallway just outside the bedroom door.

So when they seemed to have stopped, I took a peak and saw that the bedroom door was open, and the hallway light was on.

For some odd reason, my wife Jack had come home, and she was soon in bed, too.

I tried to gain further sleep, but I found myself uncomfortably overheated and parched, even though I had consumed some water during the earlier bathroom break.

I realized that I was not going to be able to sleep anymore, even though I felt like I needed it.

So around 7:15 a.m. I rose ─ and my alert wife Jack queried the action, wondering if I usually rose so early?

I confirmed that I often did, and then advised her to use her blindfold ─ she was unaware of its location, so I pointed it out within her easy reach.

And so commenced my day.

My youngest step-son Pote and his girlfriend were downstairs in bed.

I got to work and finally finished and published the post I have been compiling since last Sunday at my Lawless Spirit website:  Holistic Ulcer Treatment II.

By then I knew that it was very improbable that I was going to do some local shopping that I had planned ─ I was still feeling unusually tired and could easily have gone back to bed.

We had experienced some rain overnight, and the morning was overcast and dank.

I did some exercise out in the small shed in the backyard, and then I came into the house and resorted to my younger brother Mark's vacant bed, lying on top of it after closing the bedroom door.

By then, Pote and his girlfriend were stirring downstairs.

I doubt that I sank into a nap, but I certainly did rest myself.

When I rose at nearly noon, I was dealing with some E-mails when I heard my wife Jack emerge from the bedroom and go downstairs ─ she was up for the day.

She began doing some cooking ─ a great stir-fry, and a pot of Thai curry.

I asked her if she had been up all night; apparently she had not.  Rather, she had gotten up extremely early to drive someone somewhere.

And since she doesn't tend to go to bed at all early, she probably hardly had any sleep.

Anyway, after she had finished cooking, she started getting dressed to head out for an appointment she was supposed to keep at the Employment Insurance office here in Whalley ─ I guess the office calls itself the Surrey North Service Canada Centre.

I believe that her appointment was scheduled for around 1:30 p.m. ─ it was some sort of information session for a group of new E.I. applicants, and not an appointment specific to just her.

Supposedly anyone who was late would not be allowed access, and a later session would have to be attended.

Jack had looked very puffy-eyed when I had spoken with her concerning whether she had not slept last night; but by the time she had fixed herself up for her appointment, she was looking pretty darned good.

It is 2:36 p.m. as I type this, and she has yet to return.

The weather forecast for this grey, damp day is that rain is ahead.


You likely have heard of MRSA, a strain of bacteria resistant to antibiotics ─ a so-called 'superbug.'

Well, a recent study has revealed that people ─ consumers ─ who are simply preparing chicken bought in a supermarket can become infected with MRSA ─ as can, of course, anyone eating under-cooked chicken contaminated with the bacteria.

Thus far it seems that the only such cases that have been identified have been in Denmark, but MRSA is probably everywhere.

"Our findings implicate poultry meat as a source for these infections," says Robert Skov, MD. "At present, meat products represent only a minor transmission route for MRSA to humans, but our findings nevertheless underscore the importance of reducing the use of antibiotics in food-producing animals as well as continuing surveillance of the animal-food-human interface."

Other research suggests that modern farming practices, which often involve giving food animals low doses of antibiotics to spur their growth and compensate for overcrowding and unsanitary living conditions, has led to the rising tide of superbugs, like the new strain of MRSA identified in this study. In addition, food inspectors don't typically test poultry and other food products for MRSA contamination and instead are focused on Salmonella and other more typical food-borne pathogens.

"We need to expand the number of pathogens that we test for in our food supply, and we need international leadership to reduce unnecessary use of antibiotics on industrial farms around the world," Price says. "This isn't a problem unique to the EU or Denmark. Superbugs don't respect political or geographical boundaries, so we have to work together to address this public health threat. I'm not sure that our international trade agreements are prepared to handle the specter of superbugs in meat."

Skov adds: "I fear that if we don't get antibiotic use in livestock under control, then new, more virulent strains of livestock-associated MRSA will emerge that pose a much greater threat to human health than what we are currently facing."
And note this:
MRSA, which is resistant to several antibiotics, is commonly found in locker rooms, hospitals, military barracks and other settings where large numbers of people congregate. The bacteria can cause serious infections, including pneumonia and bloodstream infections that can cause life-threatening sepsis.
That's from here:

Whatever you do, please do not handle raw poultry with your bare hands if you have any scrapes or cuts on them ─ that's all the foothold MRSA needs to enter your body.

And be sure to well-cook your poultry.


Have you any Spanish, Hispanic, or Latino blood in your background?

If you do, this article about a recent study may interest you:

UCLA ɴewsroom

Dr. Marc S. Micozzi, M.D., Ph.D., had some interesting observations on that study at his website drmicozzi.comHispanics hold key to youth and longevity.

I have increased my usual daily intake of vitamin D3 supplementation from 2,000 I.U.s to 4,000 I.U.s, but taking the leap to 10,000 I.U.s seems to be something I am resisting.


Did you ever watch the movie featuring Julia Roberts starring as the real-life Erin Brockovich?

To be honest, I can't really say that I ever did see it.  Maybe I only saw part of it; or maybe I just wasn't interested in it at the time and basically forgot about it.

Anyway, the chemical that Erin discovered was contaminating drinking water is now being consumed practically all over America, and I am left wondering what the state of things are here in Canada or any other country?

If you're American ─ or a Canadian living next to a U.S. state ─ the following article has a map showing just which parts of America have the most dangerous levels in the drinking water:

When you look at the map, maybe try and keep the figure .02 ppb (parts per billion) in mind as a comparison of what may be a permissibly safe level.

Another article provided a link to yet a different map of the U.S.:

You can find the map here.  By clicking on any specific spot on the map, further pertinent information to that area will be presented.

There is another link to the Environmental Working Group's list of water filters that can remove chromimum-6 from a household's drinking water ─ the list is here.


It is 4:01 p.m. at this moment, and my wife Jack still has not returned.

Before she does, I am going to try and close out with this 41-year-old entry from my journal, back when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small unit in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.
MONDAY, October 6, 1975

I arose at 6:10 a.m.

I performed all my exercises this morning, having last night promised to be at Bill's around noon for our trip to the smorgasbord; I never ate a thing during the entire morning period.

Before buzzing Bill, at Wong's I bought a TV Guide and 2 December Marvels; when I buzzed for Bill, I discovered he wasn't home, so back I came this reasonably sunny day.

There is a preliminary draw today of the Lucky Leo lottery; I have a chance to win the $1,000 or one of 42 $100 prizes.

Bill finally showed up about 12:40 p.m.

I ate very fully, enjoying especially the turbot, chicken, and meat loaf; Bill bought us a 49¢ dessert apiece, a slice of coconut cream pie.

Then I spent about 2½ hours with him while he drove about on chores, finally getting dropped off while he headed off to Mark's to apply an oil filter, vowing to return early for me for some TV watching.

I was really groggy around 6:00 p.m., and Bill came about 6:40 p.m.

He drove me home after M*A*S*H, laden with decent comics.  A cool, selfless guy.

Bed at 9:00 p.m.
My old friend William Alan Gill lived in a bachelor suite not too very far from where I was living.  Wong's family-owned convenience store was located on Sixth Street, maybe a couple of block uphill from the Royal Towers Hotel (Sixth Street & Royal Avenue).

The smorgasbord we would have most likely gone to was one located in a shopping plaza at McBride Boulevard & Eighth Avenue in New Westminster.  The eatery may have been called Country Boy's.

Bill had no mechanical aptitude, so it was my younger brother Mark that Bill sought for help in changing the car's oil filter.

I had a television, but it was black & white.  Bill had a nice and fairly large colour T.V.

Anyway, it does not sound as if I was at his suite for more than about two hours ─ at very most.

He also loved his comic-books (as obviously did I), so he gave me his latest procurements.

It sounded like a rather simple day, all told!

And here it is 4:23 p.m.  Jack is still absent ─ maybe she isn't even coming home today.

Whatever the case, I will proofread this post and get it published.
Post a Comment