.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Friday, October 7, 2016

BPA and Phthalates Able to Destroy Vitamin D │ 'Super Agers' ─ Seniors with Enhanced Brains

My day commenced right after a 7:18 a.m. time check.

It was heavily overcast, but I don't believe that it was raining any longer ─ we had quite a lot of it last evening and overnight.

My youngest step-son Pote was up ─ his girlfriend had again stayed here with him overnight, but she had gone already.  I think she may work at some restaurant in Vancouver.

He was to leave to catch his bus to take him to Guildford where he works, but I never noticed when it was that he left.  If he had a truly early start, he would have left around 8:30 a.m.; if it was a later morning start, he would have left around 10:30 a.m.

I spent a fair amount of the morning setting up a new post at my Latin Impressions website.  When I first logged into my WordPress Dashboard, I was initially quite discouraged to see that there had been two days in September in which the website had no visitors; and thus far already in October, there have been two void days, as well.

But I have seen worse records of visitation for the website where the past 28 days have been concerned.

I wanted to try and do two expeditions today ─ something I have rarely managed to do.  It's difficult enough to just get out and get one thing done.

First up was some local shopping at the No Frills store in Cedar Hills (128th Street & 96th Avenue) here in Surrey. The store is about four blocks from where I live.

Unfortunately, the small room in which I keep my computer has an open window, and I had grown very chilled during my website work.  I was also suffering from the sitting on my hard metal chair, hunched over as I have to be due to having a low cheap computer desk.

So I sought refuge in my bed, fully clothed.  I rested well for possibly as long as an hour, yet never did fully warm up ─ even at the end of my time there, I was still vestigially shivering.

It was 11:50 a.m. before I was finally on my way.

The store was more crowded than I have seen it in quite some while, so I didn't browse around as much as I otherwise would have.

Once I was back home, I decided to have a breakfast/lunch before tackling the bigger challenge ─ the hike for two dozen cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer at the government liquor store (108th Avenue & King George Boulevard) about two miles away here in Whalley.

As I was eating, this text came from Pote:
Hey garnet my girlfriend is going to come to the house to grab her keys in an hour! She left it there by accident so yeah just leave the door unlocked for her please and thanks!
I responded:
I almost wasn't home.  I am eating, and was then intending to head out for some shopping.
He then asked:
What time are you going to be home
So I replied:
I haven't gone anywhere yet.  But I would be away about 1 ½ hours.
So he responded:
Okay tho will be coming home soon so it should be fine

Okay thanks for the heads up
Tho is Pote's older brother who was away at work, and who owns a car.

If Tho was to take over the house-sitting and be here for Pote's girlfriend Priyanka, I said this:
Then off I go!  I want to try and miss all the school kids on my trip home.
I was walking through the very short pedestrian-only alleyway that runs from the cul-de-sac I live in to the nearby main avenue, when I met with Priyanka walking into the alley from the other entrance.

She had just gotten off a bus.

So back I came to the house with her, learning along the way that Pote had told her that I would be home for another 1½ hours.

Does my text citing that quantity of time say to you that I was going to be home for that long before leaving to go anywhere?  "I haven't gone anywhere yet.  But I would be away about 1 ½ hours."

The young lady is most fortunate that we coincided ─ her boyfriend Pote is certainly no efficient liaison in the proceedings that we all were involved in.

I have noticed before that he seems to have a comprehension issue where texting is concerned.

Anyway, once she got her keys, I locked up the house and we walked back out to the avenue together ─ she to catch her bus to take her to Newton, and me to continue with my two-mile hike to the government liquor store.

Nothing of note ensued during that beer-run.  I must say, though, that I seemed to have far more bustle and bounce in my step and stride than I can ever remember having at my disposal in many, many months.

I wonder why?

My eldest step-son Tho was home when I got back.  And as I suspected may happen, the prick had locked the door to get back at me for forcing him to have to use his key to get in when he had gotten home.

It seems to be some infuriating game he plays on me.


My older maternal half-sister Phyllis has a 'boyfriend' who lives in Montana ─ the relationship burgeoned earlier this year after the two of them met on a Caribbean cruise.

She has since gone to visit him several times ─ I believe that he may be a retired rancher or something like that.

Anyway she sent me some photos a couple or so days ago that were evidently taken on September 16, most of which seem to be in the area of the enormous monument Our Lady of the Rockies.

I only know the gent as someone named Bob.

I wonder if maybe this first photo is an extremely long-distance view of the monument?

These next two shots are definitely distance views of that landmark:

This next shot seems to have been taken in the monument parking lot:

Walking about its base:

And Bob and Phyllis posing together:

A blurry signpost indicating the Continental Divide:

And finally, a couple of scenery shots, followed by a shot of whom I expect is Bob behind the wheel of whatever was being driven to convey them about ─ or might the driver even be someone else?


A study has uncovered that endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) actually seem able to destroy some of the vitamin D in our bodies.

That is a very bad thing.

Two of these EDCs are extremely common where our exposure to them is concerned:  bisphenol A (BPA) and phthalates.  These noxious chemicals are so pervasive that even our household dust is rife with them, and consequently we should be doing our utmost not to inhale any dust or even handle the stuff when cleaning ─ who the heck could ever have imagined?

Thanks, Industry! 

And thanks for doing damned nothing about eradicating these things from the products we as consumers all have in our homes ─ and will have in the future.

These EDCs cause health issues ranging from "infertility, obesity, diabetes, neurological problems and hormone-related cancers."

Where men are concerned, I would also suggest erectile dysfunction and even some physical effeminization.

BPA and phthalates are just two types of EDCs:
EDCs are found in everyday products and throughout the environment. There are more than 85,000 manufactured chemicals, of which thousands may be EDCs.
That's quoted from the following report on the study:

This September 28 article offers some advice, but it is a prodigious task to separate oneself from EDCs ─ there are just too much of it in just about everything we buy:

I was already taking 2,000 I.U.s daily of vitamin D3 over the Spring and Summer, but I have now increased my daily intake to 4,000 I.U.s.

I have seen recommendations of as high as 10,000 I.U.s daily ─ especially for the months when we're not getting exposed to sunshine to any degree.

While you are still young enough to have any hope of pulling it off when you're older, it would behoove you now to ensure that you are supplying your brain with everything it needs to remain healthy and vigorous.

A study has found ─ and quite logically so, to my thinking ─ that seniors who have excellent memories also seem to have 'larger' brains than their less mentally-remarkable peers.

Researchers have termed these exceptional seniors as being 'super agers.'

I would love to spend more time expounding on this, but my day has run away on me ─ I am at a loss for time.

Please check this out for yourself:



As that last reference concludes, the brain responds to exercise like a muscle; but of course, a muscle isn't going to grow much unless it is receiving the proper building-blocks to nourish that growth! 


Here to close out today's post is a 41-year-old entry from my journal, back when I was 25 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting the small unit in was located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

On tap for my day was a visit out to my mother Irene Dorosh's home in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey.  That house is now gone, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue ─ it was my main mailing address. 

To hike directly there from my room would take about 1½ hours.  But of late, I had begun doubling the distance by first following the King George Highway all the way out to Newton's 72nd Avenue (Newton Road); and then taking to the nearby railway tracks.  

I would turn right upon those, and then follow them until I was able to access the Surrey terminus of 90th Avenue at Holt Road, very near to Scott Road (120th Street).

My mother's home was a half-dozen or so houses down 90th Avenue, on the right-hand side of the road.

My bedtime the evening before this journal entry was 9:00 p.m.
TUESDAY, October 7, 1975

I got up at 3:30 a.m., feeling poorly slept.

I'm beginning to wish Bill would direct less attention my way; yesterday I only had a morn shower, he is so severely trying to monopolize my time.

I am leaving for mom's via Newton and the tracks about 5:15 a.m.; Bill said he would come over in the afternoon and drive me back.

I got in quite a bit of running.

Sherry was yet there, Phyllis not having returned from Hawaii.

I must say I ate more than I should have.

Mom left with Nell & Sandy to go a-visiting, and about 3:20 p.m. Bill came over.

It had been cloudy all day, then began the rain, some.

I hoped we could get away before, but we got caught when mom was driven back; Nell & Sandy came in for 10 minutes or so.

Sandy got me to agree to learn about a Hallowe'en dance somewhere, then most of the gang would attend if I contacted them; a drinking dance, of course.

I got home at 4:00 p.m., promising to visit Bill toward 7:00 p.m. for some TV viewing.

Today's mail was a letter from Terri; she obviously did not yet get my last to her.

While driving by Uptown's as Bill was taking me home, I saw David heading in.  

Looks like a one shower day, tho it was an evening one.

Bill & I stopped at the Book Bazaar; they have some interesting edible plant books.

Anyway, I visited Bill and watched some TV, leaving after Happy Days with the promise to come over tomorrow.

Bed at 9:00 p.m. 
My old friend William Alan Gill lived fairly nearby me, and was renting a bachelor suite.  He worked full-time, but was off work due to two or three badly cut fingers.

Apparently he wasn't finding much success at amusing himself, and I was feeling a little smothered.

I arrived at my mother's home to find that she was still housing and looking after young Sherry, my older maternal half-sister Phyllis's daughter.  Sherry was in early elementary school, yet mature beyond her years.

Nell Halverson was my mother's youngest sister; and Sandy Halverson was Nell's daughter-in-law.  I wasn't very social, so after Bill finally came over to my mother's home to pick me up, I likely wanted to get out of there before Nell and Sandy had brought my mother back.

I don't remember ever being involved with a Hallowe'en dance with my Aunt Nell's merry band of partiers, so I doubt that I bothered trying to find such a dance.   

Terri Martin was an American pen-pal I had for a time ─ a letter had come from her.

It's somewhat strange to me that I cannot remember just where Uptown's little market was ─ I have mentioned it often enough in my journal.  If I had to try and guess, I would suggest Sixth Street in New Westminster, and maybe up around Fourth Avenue on the right-hand side of the street as one traveled uphill.

I must have seen my old friend Philip David Prince about to enter into it as Bill drove past it. 

But now that I ponder my guess on Uptown's location, it seems less likely to have been that far up Sixth Street.  For one thing, I don't see why Bill would be driving by it if he was taking me home; and David lived a number of blocks from there, possibly down towards the foot of Eleventh Street.

David didn't much like walking.

I forget where the Book Bazaar was ─ possibly 'way down Sixth Street nearly to Columbia Street...but again, I am placing a guess.

The talk of having just one shower ─ I tried to take two a day because I had some body acne, and I mistakenly believed that extra showers would help control it.

Lord, it's nearly 7:30 p.m.!  

I have to proofread this and then get it published.  I've no time now for my day's bath ─ I will have to round up some supper, and then settle in for T.V. viewing beginning at 8:00 p.m., and of course some drinks! 

Thanks to the two dozen cans of beer I bought today, I have on hand exactly eight dozen ─ but I will be breaking into that bounty this evening after I have 'greased the wheel' with two or three ounces of rye whisky. 

Sadly, such evenings have become the highlight of my days....
Post a Comment