.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Friday, October 14, 2016

Chelation Therapy a Boon for Diabetic Heart Attack Survivors │ Okay to Smoke One or Two Cigars Daily? │ Farcical Prostate Cancer Study

1960s music videos kept me up last night later than I intended ─ it was 12:11 a.m. by the time I got myself to bed.  Unfortunately, my first break in sleep was some while after 3:00 a.m. ─ much too short a span.

I used the bathroom, and returned to bed.  However, I felt excessively warm in bed, and I think maybe my system might have had a little more caffeine affecting it than is customary.  Sleep was never easily won, nor did it seem satisfying.

When I rose this morning around 7:12 a.m., I did not feel well-slept.

My youngest step-son Pote was up ─ his overnighted girlfriend must have left earlier.  And he was to leave the house at 8:21 a.m. to catch his bus to take him to work at Guildford.

This was the first time this week that I was to have the bulk of the day here at home to myself.

I worked at setting up at new post at one of my hosted websites. but I wanted to try and get out today to at least do the four-mile round-trip beer-hike that has now become a weekly venture.

I don't know if the weather stayed me or not, but I never quite got away.  Actually, I think my spirit was crushed when I sat figuring out how much to write up a cheque for, in order to make my latest VISA credit card payment.

When I logged into my online chequing account and did some projections, it was apparent that I was going to be in trouble for the monthly mortgage payment around the 21st, unless I got some help from my wife Jack.

But she's in dire straits herself ─ I honestly have no idea where she stands financially.

The realization that I was only going to be making a payment that might barely reduce next month's statement balance over what it is on the current statement, crushed me.

I cannot keep living like this ─ flailing about each month as I try to keep enough money in the chequing account to cover the $1,600 impending debit for the mortgage.  And the darned payment was supposed to have been set up to happen on the 21st, but it usually happens on the 22md or even the 23rd.

Without some Divine help, I really don't see how I can find it within me to bear the life that I have for more than a very few more years.  I don't want to be in this same fix when I turn 70...and I just turned 67 earlier this week.

I never made it out ─ not even to do some local grocery shopping.

The day is blustery out there, and sometimes there is a driving rain.  I pity my poor younger brother Mark driving about throughout the day making cargo deliveries and pickups.

He has asked me all week if I have been able to check out whether the Android TV Box that he acquired this past weekend successfully recognizes the Internet when a cable is run from one to the other.

The router is in my step-sons' den area, so I have been unable to do anything with one or the other of them home all the time.

I finally got my chance this afternoon.

I never tuned in any shows, but I did see that it appeared to be possible to access them.  However, that was not immediately the case.

Before I attached the cablevision cable to the Android TV Box, all manner of 2016 'Box Office' movies were offered.  But once cablvision was attached, nothing but decades-old movies were on offer.

I began to wonder if Mark had been deceived into buying this device.

And then a little Google research revealed that the problem might be as simple as updating the Android TV Box's time setting.  I remembered that when Mark and I were first exploring the device last weekend when it had no Internet access, the date displaying had been sometime in 1970.

The story here is that the Android TV Box reacts as if that actually is the current date; and thus when it goes to pull in a line-up of the latest movies, it only 'finds' movies from that date and earlier.

Likewise, when I had tried to find current TV shows, it brought up a host of oldies like Bonanza, and others I had never even heard of.

I had to do more research in Google to find out how to actually update the time settings, but I finally located that helpful information.

All should be good now.

But it's going to be something of an issue to actually find time to watch anything ─ there are presently more T.V. programmes that I am trying to keep abreast of than I can handle.  In other words, I do not have the spare time to slot in a movie.

I don't watch T.V. in the daytime ─ I am far too busy trying to generate an income with my websites and this blog.

And Mark is in worse shape.  He would probably watch T.V. in the daytime, but he has to work through the week.  And of course, he doesn't come home each workday until well into the evening.  The regular T.V. fare is already being telecast, usually.

There is the additional issue of the availability of the router.  As I said, it is in my step-sons' den area.  That is where youngest step-son Pote's bed is ─ and he is usually sharing it with his girlfriend.

The bed is immediately adjacent to the computer desk where the router is.  It would be necessary to turn on a light in order to see how to make the cable jack fit into the router port.

Unfortunately, we can't just leave the cable hooked up because it is 50 feet long; and stretched from the router to the Android TV Box, it is a long, coiled snare just waiting to hook a careless foot with the result of pulling down the Android TV Box, or possibly disabling the router at the other end. 
Therefore, until some ingenious means of having the length of the long cable 'put under wraps' or otherwise safeguarded, we cannot just leave the cable hooked up to the router.

I want to post an old photo of my mother ─ the unhelpful description beneath it is from the Google album where I have the scan saved:

I have absolutely no details to offer on this photo of my mother Irene Dorosh.

I cannot even say with any certainty what is in the background.  Is it a lumber yard or mill?  A shopping complex?  A marina?

None of the above?

I just do not know.

There is a major study being put into place to substantiate an earlier similar study that showed how chelation therapy (with vitamin supplements) gave heart attack survivors a 26% lower risk of heart complications than was the case for survivors not given the chelation therapy.

But diabetic heart attack survivors fared even better ─ the chelation and vitamins resulted in a 49% reduction in heart complications.

You can read for yourself why the chelation was so successful ─ the article reporting on the two studies is in layman's terminology:


Apparently participants in the second trial are still being solicited, and there are even a few locations here in Canada serving as satellite locations for this important study.  The conditions for participation are listed at the end of that report:
  • Study participants must be at least 50 years of age.
  • Candidates must have diabetes and experienced a prior heart attack.
  • Those interested in participating can contact researchers through www.tact2.org, by calling 305-674-2260, or contacting Lamas directly at lamas@tact2.cc.
The TACT2 website has a map displaying where the trails are being held ─ go here.

Of course, there are doctors out there who practice chelation therapy.  For example, Americans can go to hsionline.com and check out their specific state:  Find a Doc.


I don't smoke, but I probably would enjoy a good cigar on occasion if I was relatively well-off.  You know, a 'man of leisure.'

I read an excellent article discussing why smoking a cigar or sometimes even two a day is harmless, and potentially even beneficial ─ the point is not to inhale.
"...Light-to-moderate smoking of only one or two cigars per day, in fact, does carry the same risk as smoking a half-pack or less of cigarettes per day -- namely NO risk at all for most people. Plus, research links light-to-moderate smoking of cigars or cigarettes with a healthier body weight.

Of course, cigar smoking is not like cigarette smoking as a behavior or habit. For one, you do NOT inhale cigar smoke, which clearly factors into the scientific findings. Second, it takes a long time to smoke a cigar. And nobody has the time to "chain-smoke" them.
If you are curious to see the article:


The study he references is Systematic review of cigar smoking and all cause and smoking related mortality (DOI: 10.1186/s12889-015-1617-5).

I gave it a try, but those multitudinous tables of various studies threw me.  In examining those tables that indicate the number of cigars per day, or whether there was inhalation, I seem to be just too dense to fathom what the heck the "effect estimates" column is supposed to be telling me.


Imagine these poor guys!

A study involved 1,092 men with low-risk prostate cancer ─ the type that health professionals are now starting to agree should involve active surveillance or monitoring as opposed to treatment with surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy.

Half of the poor souls were given the usual eight to nine weeks of 40 - 45 radiation treatments ─ which is the established course for radiation treatment of prostate cancer; the other half were given 28 much stronger radiation treatments over five to six weeks.

You can read about the study here:

Remember, these were men who were candidates for simple monitoring of their prostate cancer ─ treatment is now starting to be contraindicated for such patients. 

So what were the results?

All those reports say is that ─ where concerns the men who had the shorter term of much stronger radiation therapy ─ they:
"...had the same urinary and sexual quality of life compared to those who had traditional radiation therapy.

The only difference in quality of life was a small, but significantly larger decline in bowel quality of life after hypofractionated radiation compared to those who had traditional radiation therapy. This small difference, though, was not felt to be clinically meaningful, the researchers say.
A "significantly larger decline in bowel quality of life" sounds to me to be rather important, don't you think?

But for the researchers to have admitted it, this would have cast a pall upon the 'success' of the study.

Did you notice what else was glossed over?

Both groups "had the same urinary and sexual quality of life."  In other words, many of the men ended up with problems like:
  • Urinary Dysfunction
  • Bowel Dysfunction
  • Erectile Dysfunction
  • Loss of Fertility
I have read that ─ depending upon the source for the data ─ anywhere from 40% to 70% of men who get this treatment become impotent.

They "will no longer be able to get or keep an erection." 

None of these guys faced any of this if they had stayed out of the study and gotten active surveillance instead.

Yes, this study was quite the medical science 'breakthrough,' wasn't it?


Here to close today's post is a 41-year-old journal entry from back when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster

I was renting the tiny unit in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

My mother Irene Dorosh and her husband Alex had taken a chartered bus to Reno, so their little home in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey was unoccupied.  I volunteered to keep a watch on it.  Besides, it was my main mailing address.

The little house now is gone, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.  To hike there as directly as possible would take me about 1½ hours of fast walking.
TUESDAY, October 14, 1975

I couldn't have had much more than 4 hours sleep; Bill just won't release me, and he's ruining my whole system of life; I'm even gaining weight again, I'm convinced.

Without question, I shall be napping today at mom's, and I'll leave for there by 5:30 a.m.  There is a mild rain out, I see.

When the mail came at mom's, I received a Legion stamp form and an ad re a diet & nutrition book club.

I ate too many vegetables and fruit, irritating my digestive system; my walk there was haunted by awful indigestion.

It really poured during the day.

Cathy phoned me just to talk; seems I gave her a big kiss Sunday as we drove to her place from Nell's.

It was too wet for me to walk home, so I acceded to Bill's insistence he pick me up.

Boy, did I eat!

Tomorrow eve will find me supping there again.

Bed by 9:30 p.m.
I had gone to bed the evening before at about 9:30 p.m.  So just when did I get up if I estimated myself to have had but four or so hours of sleep, and I was leaving at 5:30 a.m. to undertake the hike out to Surrey?

My old friend William Alan Gill had a bachelor suite in New Westminster, quite near to my room.  I had enjoyed a Thanksgiving dinner the day before at the home of his mother Anne Gregory, and I was expected back this day because the three of us had hardly made a dent in the spread ─ she wanted me to help Bill eat everything up.

Bill was a big boy ─ I suppose at this time he may have weighed over 300 pounds, and was likely just under five feet and 10 inches in height.

I was complaining about Bill becoming a nuisance ─ he was off work due to some badly cut fingers, and seemed incapable of keeping himself amused.  It seemed that he was doing his utmost to incorporate me into his day as fully as he could.

But I had other things I wanted to be doing. 

I made the hike to my mother's home, but there wasn't much of interest in the mail.  The "Legion stamp form" was likely an order form for a commemorative issue of stamps from the Canadian Post Office. 

It was my younger brother Mark's girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther who phoned me.  I had a late-evening Thanksgiving dinner with her and Mark on Sunday.

She had picked me up at my mother's home, but needed to collect her two little girls from my maternal Aunt Nell Halverson's home.  And since Sunday was the day after my 26th birthday, a bottle of vodka was brought forth at her home and I got obliterated.

At least I see that Jeanette did drive me to the home she shared with Mark in Whalley ─ my next memory after starting to drink at Nell's was waking up after dark in the shrubbery around Mark & Jeanette's home.

I probably felt rather sheepish, but I came into the house anyway ─ everyone else had long since finished eating.

Whatever the case, I am pleased to see that I managed to give Jeanette that kiss ─ I adored the young woman.

After talking with Jeanette, I was eventually visited by Bill ─ we clearly had to have been talking by phone, too.  He took me away with him to his mother's home in Maillardville, and we had another big turkey feed.

But there was still another such feast ahead of me for the next day?  Wow!

No wonder I was concerned of my own weight.  I could and would stuff away a couple of platefuls of food ─ maybe I would even fill part of a third.

So of course I often suffered indigestion the following day.  I was a willing glutton.

I had little food in my own pantry, and could ill-afford a decent diet.  When food was presented to me, it was nigh irresistible.
Post a Comment