.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Americans' Life Expectancy Dropping │ Bayer's Inglorious Past │ Eat Eggs With Salads to Dramatically Increase Absorption of Vitamin E and Carotenoids

Just after my younger brother Mark went to bed last evening, my youngest step-son Pote ─ who seemed to be talking to his mother on his cellphone ─ brought it over so she and I could talk.

She is in Thailand.

I don't know who phoned who, but it was a video-call via the Line application.

It wasn't a perfect call ─ the video keep freezing for brief periods.  But if the call is free, then so what?

My wife Jack looked rather puffy-faced ─ as if she had only recently gotten up, or else she has been heavily into the partying.

It had to have been around 2:30 p.m. today for her ─ Thailand is presently 14 hours ahead of us here on the west coast of Canada.

She was outdoors somewhere, and I could not help but wonder if she was already drinking, for she passed 'me' over to a gal I only know as her 'sister/cousin,' saying nothing more than, "You remember her."

It wasn't a question ─ it was said as a statement.  Keep in mind that I have not been to Thailand since the first part of June 2005.

However, I did recognize the lady ─ and she does like to drink.

Overall, it was something of a fun call, I suppose.  Jack even said "I love you" as we were disengaging from one another.

But just as with the first such call that Pote arranged, I wouldn't mind to be able to record the whole thing, but I never checked into how it might be possible.

Apparently it is possible.

But as I said, on each occasion it was Pote's phone being used.

I would need to use my own phone ─ or else the Line download that I have on my computer.  I would prefer the latter.

One such application is apparently ShowMore, but it looks rather involved.  So do applications discussed at ScreenShot.  What bothers me is how much tweaking these things seem to require ─ why can't they just record the video-call exactly as is without fussing with a whole mess of settings beforehand?

Anyway, it's something to keep in mind for the future.  Unfortunately, though, Jack will be back soon ─ probably the evening of next Monday.  My chance to place a computer video-call is draining away. 

I wasted some time prior to getting to bed last night, so it was after midnight before I had done so.

My first break in sleep overnight ─ with a bathroom visit ─ was a little after 4:30 a.m.  Mark had just finished showering in his ensuite, so I was free to use and flush the toilet. 

When next I checked the time and decided to rise for the day, it was 7:19 a.m.  It was lightly raining outside.

For some reason, Pote has yet another day off work, and it is coinciding with a day off for his girlfriend ─ they are both here today, having slept together.  He has only worked on one day in the past four (he works in a sports shop that is open seven days a week).   

I spent some of the morning putting content into a new post that I began on Saturday at one of my hosted websites, but I cut it short because I wanted to get out to do some grocery shopping.

However, the time I spent here on the metal chair hunched over my low computer keyboard had taxed both my eyes and my ageing body.  I went back to bed to recover.  I even had a bit of a dream.

When I rose and got myself all ready to go, it was 11:28 a.m. as I headed away on the 1¼-mile or so hike out to Save-On-Foods in Whalley.  

I appreciated the overcast day at outset.  But with a third or so of a mile to go before arriving back home, the sky broke open into brilliant stretches of sunshine ─ something that I am definitely no longer accustomed to being out in.

Pote and his girlfriend were still in bed, but I could hear them talking.

I sure didn't expect to blow $80.80 ─ heck, I had even wondered this morning if I even really needed to be going shopping at all.  

I fixed myself a fast meal that I ate here at my computer while playing a couple of games of FreeCell...and then the rigours of my outing sent me back to bed for awhile.

As I type these words at 4:12 p.m., Pote and his girlfriend have set off for somewhere, and it is lightly raining again.


The U.S. Society of Actuaries recently released statistics about American men and women.

If you are an American man aged 65, your life expectancy is falling just shy of reaching the age of 86.  And if you are a woman aged 65, then you will likely not quite reach your 88th birthday.

If you are a U.S. man aged 25 right now, then you are anticipated to be falling just short of reaching your 87th birthday. 

25-year-old American women ought to make it midway past their 89th birthdays.

But on all accounts, the projections are for shorter lifespans than was the case when this was last worked out in 2015.


Maybe it's time to start being a little different than the norm?


You may have heard that about two months ago, Monsanto was 'bought' by Bayer.



I tend to think of Monsanto as a heartless monster no one should trust or do business with ─ I don't know how you feel about them.

You are likely very familiar with Bayer for producing aspirin.  But were you aware that the corporation has a history that is at least as vile and murderous as Monsanto?

Have a look at this article:


Neither Monsanto nor Bayer care about anything but profit for themselves.  They will do whatever it takes to pull ahead ─ they always have done so.

Our health ─ our planet's health ─ is at stake because these conglomerates have no consideration beyond money.

Every human on Earth has untold numbers ─ hundreds ─ of toxic industrial chemicals in our bodies that never existed in the bodies of our ancestors a century ago.  And it's just getting worse.


Do you eat eggs?  You should.

A study has uncovered something most remarkable about eggs.

For example, if three whole eggs are added to a salad, the amount of natural vitamin E that we are able to absorb or take up from the plants is increased anywhere from four to seven times!


And no, the eggs were not raw ─ for purposes of the study, they had been scrambled.
In summary, the consumption of cooked whole eggs is an effective way to increase the absorption of α-tocopherol and γ-tocopherol from co-consumed low-fat foods that naturally contain vitamin E, such as a raw mixed-vegetable salad. Co-consuming cooked whole eggs with a vegetable salad improves the nutritional value of the vegetables, which are underconsumed by most of the US population.
That's from the final portion of the study titled Egg Consumption Increases Vitamin E Absorption from Co-Consumed Raw Mixed Vegetables in Healthy Young Men (doi: 10.3945/jn.116.236307).

There are other tocopherols than the alpha and gamma ─ I am no specialist, but I know that there are also beta and delta; but the alpha and gamma are possibly the most common of them, and so the researchers put their focus there.

If you referred to the report on the study, you should have noticed near its end that reference was made to a 2015 study that found that eggs increased the amount of carotenoids ─ "including alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and lycopene" ─ that were absorbed from salad plants by three to eight times.  

Vitamin A figures in there.  

I would love to take heavy lutein, zeaxanthin, and lycopene supplementation for my eyes' sake, but I just cannot afford them on my pension.


Well, that outing was my sole exercise of the day, unfortunately.

I have a fairly old family photo to post ─ the description beneath is from the Google album where I have the scan saved:

My cousin Gail (née Hyatt) walking down the aisle with her father Garnet Hyatt.

The setting is likely somewhere in Calgary, back in 1974 or 1975.

The only other identity I have any confidence about is the man at the left border of the photo ─ Ragnar ("Rags") Halverson, my Aunt Georgina's husband.
And now I am going to close with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster

I was renting the small affair in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

The evening prior to this entry, I had gotten to bed "slightly short of 7:00 p.m."
SATURDAY, November 15, 1975

This time I rather underslept, getting up well short of 2:30 a.m.

Day 26 of the mail strike.

It wasn't quite 3:15 a.m. when I left for my dozen laps; leaving the school, I noticed a ground level window about a foot open.

I'm spending much of the day killing time on my back in bed.

It is cold here.

The radio said municipal elections are taking place today, but I don't know if this is what I registered for last Tuesday.

I found, about 5:20 a.m., Bill not to be home; I'd hoped to use his phone to call mom and resolve my election confusion (I am sure I registered for Dec. 11's provincial election) and gain the doctor information I require.

My eyes lately have been daily playing out early.

I feel very guilty about not voting today, if I was supposed to; it's as if I betrayed mom, and even dad.

Looks like I bed at 7:00 p.m.
Obviously there were no cellphones then, and I never had my own landline. 

I wonder if I would have made a call to the police about the school window if I possessed a phone ─ would it have merited a call?

I probably wouldn't have bothered.

My old friend William Alan Gill lived three or four blocks from me ─ he was renting a bachelor suite, and had both a car and a phone.  

And a colour T.V.  I only had a smallish black & white T.V.

My mother Irene Dorosh was deeply involved with the New Democratic Party, and had been pushing to get me and others to register and vote for them.  I would have ─ Dave Barrett provincially had been a huge boon where my interests were concerned during the first half of the 1970s.
Post a Comment