.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Deceptive Blood Thinner Medication Study │ Blood Pressure Medication Can Lead to Major Mood Disorders │ Weak High-Protein Diet Study

Due to becoming deeply involved last night in responding to an E-mail from a fellow in Australia whom I have gotten to know through the Thai Married forum, it was probably after 12:30 .m. before I made it to bed. 

Until I became embroiled in that E-mail, it had looked as if I was going to be getting to bed before 11:30 p.m. for a second consecutive evening.

I slept rather well until my first break in sleep that had me visit the bathroom shortly after 5:00 a.m., but that was it.  I tried for further sleep, but my right nostril had utterly clogged up, and the left only had partial clearance.

Shortly after 6:00 a.m. I rose and gained some nasal relief, and returned to bed.

Time marched on.  By 7:00 p.m. I had accepted the futility of trying to fall into sleep.  It felt really good lying there in bed, but I was wasting my morning.  I had things I wanted to do.

I put in some work on the edit of an old post that I am involved with at one of my hosted websites, and then I started trying to complete a claim form on behalf of my youngest step-son Pote ─ it was for his expenditure of $345 towards prescription glasses. 

The claim will be sent to Sun Life Financial with whom I have extended health care coverage. 

Well, that proved far more challenging than I anticipated.  I needed to make a copy of two invoices, but my printer (an Epson WorkForce 610) cannot print in black ink due to a clogged printer nozzle.  And I dare not run the number of nozzle cleanings that would be required to get it clear once more because I know that it will use up a couple of the ink cartridges.

What I eventually did was scan one of the invoices and saved it onto a USB flash drive as a .jpeg image ─ I had no choice about the format.

Then I had to research how to convert the .jpeg image into an .odt format document that I could work with in Apache OpenOffice writer.  I have version 4.1.2.

I did the conversion through Online-Convert.com.  However, the text required rearranging, and I found that the document just allowed 'Read-only' access. 

When I eventually figured out how to remove that limitation, I then set about rearranging the text to resemble the original invoice.

And then I coloured the text with a deep purple hue ─ it nearly appears black.

And now my printer was able to print a copy.

Then I looked over the second invoice and merely changed a few things on the copy of the one I had in .odt format, and then printed that copy out, too.

By then I was into the noon-hour.

Suddenly, I heard noise in the kitchen ─ my eldest step-son Tho had not gone to work today, and had only just gotten up.

And then the next thing I knew, Pote came into the house in the company of his girlfriend.

I would be going nowhere.  I was too tired to deal with everything.  When I have plans to go out, I like to ready myself in privacy and leave unannounced. 

Also, it was partly sunny outside ─ with my shortage of sleep, I didn't feel up to going public on a bright day.

My full plan had been to hike the mile or so to Surrey Place (Central City) to mail the claim ─ as well as an order for participation in the Millionaire Lottery ─ at Pearl Photo / Canada Post.  Then next I intended to continue farther on to do some shopping at Save-On-Foods.

Even without the interference here at home, the errand this late in the day would have eaten up too much of my afternoon ─ better I get it all done tomorrow.  And perhaps we'll have grey skies and even some rain.

Oh, well.  At least Pote and his girlfriend prepared a pair of tortillas for me.

By the way, last evening one of the boys put up a note on our front door that basically read as follows:

Sorry No Candy ☹
Have a safe Halloween!

This is the first year of our total non-participation at Hallowe'en.

...And now at 1:46 p.m., I hear some light rain outside....


Had my wife Jack been home last evening, there would have been some Hallowe'en involvement.  However, she left on an (approximately) 10:00 p.m. flight the evening of October 24 to pay a visit to her family in Nong Soong ─ a community in Thailand very near to Udon Thani (city).

She is scheduled to return on November 21, if I am remembering correctly.

I took this photo of her in the afternoon, back on September 8, 2016.  She's standing on the left side of our home, and I was positioned such that the backyard was immediately behind me:


There seems to be some fuss concerning a blood thinner called rivaroxaban, which goes under the brand name Xarelto.

It seems that the company responsible for it may have fudged study results in order to make the medication appear more beneficial than warfarin.

In fact, it is the British Medical Journal making that very claim:


Gosh!  To think that a pharmaceutical company might actually employ deception just to make sales!

No matter ─ America's FDA is still staunchly standing behind the product, and that's all that really matters, isn't it?  Who cares if the study results were fabricated to any degree?


That article mentions that there are close to 11,000 federal lawsuits pending that relate to severe bleeding that the victims were not warned was a very real risk.

If you're curious what other side-effects there might be, then check out Drugs.comXarelto Side Effects.


And then we have blood pressure-lowering medication.

A study called Monotherapy With Major Antihypertensive Drug Classes and Risk of Hospital Admissions for Mood Disorders (10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.116.08188) has found strong evidence that such medication increases the incidences of "mood disorders such as depression or bipolar disorder" ─ and these cases are serious enough to require hospitalization.

I have suffered from depression and thoughts of suicide since my teens years, but I have never ended up in a hospital because of it.

Here are some reports concerning that study:




Of course, on top of that, these medications can also affect a person's balance and initiate a serious bone-breaking fall.

Now that's something to really get depressed about ─ especially if it's a broken hip.  Or brain trauma from a hard strike to the head.


A recent study titled High-Protein Intake during Weight Loss Therapy Eliminates the Weight-Loss-Induced Improvement in Insulin Action in Obese Postmenopausal Women (10.1016/j.celrep.2016.09.047) supposedly reveals that eating too much protein when seeking to lose weight eliminates the improvement in insulin sensitivity that one would expect from the weight loss.  

In other words, the weight loss did not signify any benefit from the perspective of avoiding diabetes risk.

Here are a couple of reports on the study:



It was brought to my attention that I should actually examine just what diet the so-called high-protein group in this study was fed.

It took some doing, but I eventually located a description of what the three groups of women were given to eat ─ for their diets were controlled by the researchers. 

The three groups of women were comprised of the control or weight-maintenance (WM) group who were not supposed to lose weight; the weight-loss (WL) group who were given the recommended daily allowance of protein while losing weight; and the weight-loss with a high-protein (WL-HP) diet group that were also losing weight.

I will concern myself only with the latter two groups, since this was all about losing weight with or without a high protein diet.

The two groups had an identical diet.

The sparse meals were comprised of 50% carbohydrate, 30% fat, and 20% protein insofar as total calories were concerned.

They also consumed a 100-kcal liquid meal supplement ─ a commercial product called Ensure:  total calories were 55% carbohydrate, 30% fat, and 15% protein.

The high-protein group of ladies also got a 100-kcal whey protein solution ─ a commercial product called Unjury, containing 21 grams of protein. 

So really, the two weight-loss groups were very much dieting, but on a high-carbohydrate regime.

This is not sensible eating.

The diets should have majored in fats and proteins, and not carbohydrates.  But the protein should have been natural ─ not some powder in a package, or a liquid solution in a can or plastic bottle.

Real food!  A full protein complement.

No wonder there didn't appear to be any insulin sensitivity improvement.  How could there be, when the majority of calories came from carbohydrates?


It has sometimes rained very hard this afternoon!

I am going to close now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I had gone to bed at 7:00 p.m. the evening before.
SATURDAY, November 1, 1975

For some reason I last night set my alarm, and so got up about 3:30 a.m.

There sounds to be a whopping wind outside, and possibly accompanying rain, tho I am guessing here.

I hope as of last night I have become wealthy; I won't know until I buy a paper or read someone else's.

I neglected yesterday to mention that that Paula is now working at S.A.N.E.  

I shall mail a $5 tithe as I embark on a Burnaby Lake circuit about 8:00 a.m.; it was just announced the postal strike may last "at least another week."

My walk was both dry and mild weather-wise; I found an orange frog on the inner side of a track rail, and removed the creature to the bush verge.

Toward the Crest my soles pretty well peaked with burning, but when I got home, I deemed it all bearable.

Bill's car was home as I passed homeward, arriving 11:30 a.m.

About an hour later I paid my rent.

My left knee is such that it cannot bear my weight in a natural lift on any sort of elevation; I hope, if I have again lost the lottery, I am able to work well next Friday.

While deep into Audie Murphy's movie Gunpoint, Bill came; he was suggestive towards boozing tonight, but he finally decided to treat me to the smorgasbord ($2.99) instead, also treating me to a slice of banana cream pie (49¢).

He took me home, after a trip to the Royal Book Mart, so I could brush my teeth and shower; later he shall return for me for some TV viewing at his place (he has to take home his mother).

On my way here from the Mart, from 4th Ave. I saw Joe of yesterday on Ash, I believe it was.

Anyway, Bill came for me right after 6:00 p.m.

Coincidentally, on my way home on 3rd Ave. I encountered and spoke with simple Bob from S.A.N.E. coming from Ash.

Bed about 9:45 p.m.
Of course I never won the Western Lottery.  I'm still trying to win big before it's too late.

The Burnaby Lake walk involved hiking all the way out to it and traveling around the far side, and then working my way back home. 

Evidently the walk on this day took me about 3½ hours.

My old friend William Alan Gill lived three or four blocks from my room.  He was a working man, living in a bachelor suite that he was renting, and he owned a car.

The smorgasbord he treated me to was likely the one that used to be located in a shopping plaza at Eighth Street & McBride Boulevard in New Westminster.

S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) was a New Westminster charitable organization I was working for one day a week, serving as a swamper on their blue pick-up truck.

I don't know who "Paula" was anymore, nor "simple Bob"; but a mentally challenged fellow named "Joe" had been my substitute co-swamper just the day before when I worked at S.A.N.E.  ─ my usual day was Friday.

S.A.N.E. today is known as Fraserside Community Services Society.

Bill had a colour T.V. that was larger than my black & white model, so it was something of a treat to watch some 'tellie' at his place on occasion.
Post a Comment