.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Thursday, November 3, 2016

L-Arginine for Cancer Therapy │ Low Vitamin D Blood Levels a Big Factor in Dementia │ Viitamin K Defends Against Diabetes and Heart Disease

To my considerable surprise, late last evening after my younger brother Mark had gone to bed and the T.V. was turned off for the night, I was seated here at my computer doing a few last-minute things before also getting to bed, when my youngest step-son Pote came up the stairs...and I could clearly hear his mother talking on his cellphone.

She has been in Thailand for well over a week.

He stopped in behind me and turned his phone over to me, and there she was ─ it was a video-call.

He had apparently called her via a Line 'app.'

She is using her iPhone 6 over there, but she has bought a SIM card so that she can be free of our wireless provider Rogers and its potential charges.  

She had given us her new long-distance number, but Pote was unable to figure out how to use it to call her, and so he seems to have reached her via Line by calling her regular Rogers number.

I have no idea how that  must work.  Perhaps because she also has the Line 'app' on her phone, then the 'app' doesn't care and simply connects from one Line account to another.

So was this really free ─ a long-distance video-call between two cellphones? 

Only time will tell ─ specifically, when we all get our next billings from Rogers.

I still don't have the Line 'app' on my iPhone 5, but at least I think that I successfully set myself up with an account at either the iTunes Store or the App Store on my cellphone ─ whichever one is supposed to allow the 'app' download.

Anyway, I think I made it to bed ahead of midnight.

I now forget approximately when I had my first break in sleep and used the bathroom, or just when it was that I got up for the day ─ it was just ahead of either 7:30 a.m. or 8:00 a.m.

It's a grey day out there, and I think we may even have had a weak early-afternoon shower. 

And I have no sooner typed those words shortly after 3:00 p.m. when sunshine has now revealed itself!

I had hoped to get an old post edit finished this morning that I have been working on since Saturday at one of my hosted websites, but I failed ─ the completion and published update have been postponed until tomorrow.

The accursed brown hound living just beyond our backyard fence has been an utter atrocity today.

Its irresponsible owners must keep it indoors most of the time, but a few days a week they stick the damned fool outdoors all day long, and it will not stop its piercing whining, booming baying, and relentless barking that comes almost like physical blows.

It is cruel to have to suffer like this.

I wish that beast whatever inimical fate may ever befall it ─ nothing would be undeserved for the torture I have endured for well over four years now. 

Even its owners merit ill regard for their complicity in this. 


When it comes to the body's ability to fight off developing cancerous cells, T-cells and macrophages become very important. 

I was trying to find some information about a study being reported upon by these two articles ─ a study involving glioblastomas:



The study found that the amino acid L-arginine somehow enhanced T-cells and prevented them from dying off as early as they otherwise would, thereby increasing their effectiveness at eradicating and otherwise stopping cancer cells from proliferating. 

And then I came across a study published a little earlier ─ i.e., June 1 ─ titled L-Arginine supplementation inhibits the growth of breast cancer by enhancing innate and adaptive immune responses mediated by suppression of MDSCs in vivo (DOI: 10.1186/s12885-016-2376-0).

So it seems strongly evident that L-arginine may have the capacity to boost the body's immune response to cancer ─ we should be ensuring that we get plenty of it in our diets to keep our specialized immune cells 'fighting fit.'

According to Wikipedia:
Arginine is found in a wide variety of foods, including:
  • Animal sources:  dairy products (e.g., cottage cheese, ricotta, milk, yogurt, whey protein drinks), beef, pork (e.g., bacon, ham), gelatin, poultry (e.g. chicken and turkey light meat), wild game (e.g. pheasant, quail), seafood (e.g., halibut, lobster, salmon, shrimp, snails, tuna)
  • Plant sources:  wheat germ and flour, lupins, buckwheat, granola, oatmeal, peanuts, nuts (coconut, pecans, cashews, walnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pinenuts), seeds (hemp, pumpkin, sesame, sunflower), chickpeas, cooked soybeans, Phalaris canariensis (canaryseed or alpiste)
My impression is that "arginine" is simply the shortened way of referencing L-arginine, and the latter is not some special subcategory of the amino acid.  


So are you supplementing with vitamin D3?

A recent study has identified that low vitamin D levels in the blood, as well as air pollution and a few other factors, are paving the way towards dementia:



It is difficult to do too very much about most of those threats, but I at least can ensure my vitamin D levels are okay.  

I am currently taking 2,000 I.U.s at a mealtime twice a day, but you can do your own research on that.  I have seen recommendations from a couple of doctors that suggest taking as much as 10,000 I.U.s a day, but I can't quite get into that practice.

Perhaps if I got sick, I might escalate my intake.


Vitamin K works in tandem with vitamin D and calcium to build healthy bone ─ in fact, anyone taking a calcium supplement who does not have high enough vitamin K intake is running the risk of having the calcium deposit into the arteries instead. 

Research is learning that vitamin K helps with glucose metabolism and insulin production, and also improves insulin sensitivity; and it also helps inhibit calcification of arteries.


I wish that I could recall the name of a doctor whose video I recently tuned in ─ he enthusiastically proclaimed that vitamin K could actually cure type 2 diabetes.  

Unfortunately, plant-based vitamin K1 has to be converted within us to vitamin K2 to be of any use ─ and our bodies are not all that efficient at making that conversion.

I would buy vitamin K2 supplements if they ever become available in the supermarkets and pharmacies ─ I have never seen any for sale.  But I hope I would be astute enough to not end up buying synthetic vitamin K2.  The recommendation is to look for natural vitamin K2 derived from nattō or nattokinase.


Here is a fairly old family photo, with the description beneath it that I took from the Google album where I have the scan filed:

That is my mother Irene Dorosh, probably on vacation in one of the warmer U.S. states.

As you can see at the right border of the photo, the roll of film it was part of was developed in August 1968.
I believe that she would have been about 52 in that photo. 

I wish to close out now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the little unit in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.

The evening before, I had gotten to bed around 7:00 p.m.
MONDAY, November 3, 1975

I guess I slept well enough last night, dreaming much, and arising decently before 3:45 a.m.

My throat is still somewhat sore, but as far as I'm concerned, it never troubled my sleep.

At the start of my walk yesterday it became necessary to seek relief in the bush off the road leading into the Westminster Drive-In.

I am going to leave about 8:00 a.m. for a trip around Burnaby Lake, if my pinched heels can sustain the rigors.

Near the Burnaby Lake recreation building I abruptly encountered a flock of about 15 wild geese; we were about 30 feet apart as I passed by, but they acted unruffled.

On a rail tie I found the corpse of what may have been Saturday's orange frog; it appeared stepped on.

And then, soon after, came a cloudburst; it rained in varying degrees the rest of my walk, and I grew rather cool as I became soaked, having only my army jacket for cover.

At Queen's Park it was necessary for me to eliminate all bodily wastes; I was so stiff that I was reduced to completing my walk with my pants undone ─ save for the zipper.  The sufferings I endure!

My boots were of no distress at all once the rain took over the task of making misery.

David knocked at 1:30 p.m.; I nearly answered the door, being dull-witted from lying down; I heard him scribbling lavishly on my door.

In all, I lied about 2 hours on my back, till 3:30 p.m., perhaps dozing, but certainly getting warm at last.

My bedtime shall be 7:00 p.m.
The Westminster Drive-In used to be located around where the Scott Road SkyTrain Station is now.   I had hiked out into Surrey the day before.

When I hiked around Burnaby Lake ─ the entire trip would take three hours quite easily ─ I usually accessed it from Robert Burnaby Park, as this Google map should show.

A creek culvert ran beneath the Trans-Canada Highway, so I would get across via that means.

Then I would turn left and follow a trail that ran close to that freeway ─ the lake was well beyond a heavy thicket of woods, and mainly unseen.

At the far left of the lake I would access a quiet road and follow it to the railway tracks that ran above the upper part of the lake on that map.

I would usually turn right onto them, and follow them until I got to the far right of the lake.

On the Saturday I spoke of, I had 'rescued' an orange frog from the inner side of a rail and placed the little creature into the verdure at the edge of the tracks.

Was it the same frog?  Perhaps orange frogs were not uncommon, and the dead one was some other.

Anyway, once at the far right of the lake, I would work my way back to my room via roads such as Cariboo and then East Eighth Avenue.

When I enjoyed use of the toilet at Queen's Park, my fingers must have been nearly paralyzed from the cold, and I was unable to exert the pressure require to push the metal button of my pants through the tight slotted hole.

My army jacket was an army field jacket, so it extended low enough to obscure the open fastening. 

Once home, the effort of my hike and the effects of the cold rain probably had me taxed, so I sought some rest.

Philip David Prince ─ an old friend of mine ─ also lived in a room in New Westminster.  I would not have been interested in his company ─ particularly since he never knew when it was time to leave.  Besides, he had left me a previous note saying that he intended to move, and wanted to live with me until he found a new place. 

That was a conversation I had no intention of being a part of. 

I wanted my privacy.  I exercised a heck of a lot, for one thing.  And I was trying to keep early bedtime hours so that I could rise extremely early ─ it would be impossible with someone else living with me.

His presence would be too limiting ─ and I would never get a break from him.

I do miss David, though.  He was just 35 when he died a little less than nine years later.  I had known him since we were both in Grade VIII at Newton Junior High School out in Surrey during the 1962/1963 school term. 

I have too few friends anymore, and none who are near enough to visit.
Post a Comment