.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Thursday, December 29, 2016

Migraine Medications and Rebound Headaches │ U.S. Medication Inflation Devastating to Seniors │ Brain and Heart Benefits of Very Frequent Saunas

I made it to bed last night by 11:23 p.m., I do believe.  However, my first break in sleep saw me visit the bathroom around 3:00 a.m., and although I did manage to get back to sleep thereafter, it was but briefly.

I was unable to relax back into sleep, for my mind was too involved in worry.  I became keyed up, much of the cause being financial.  But of course, it encompassed so much more ─ marriage, sexual health, loneliness ─ all of these elements were part and parcel of the overarching issue of debt and financial inadequacy.

At some point after 5:00 a.m., when I knew that my younger brother Mark had gone to work, I rose, dressed, and came here to my computer.  I considered getting to work on the edit of an old post I started work on back on December 22 at one of my six hosted websites, but I realized that doing so would enmesh me for several hours.

So instead I just went through accumulated E-mails, and allowed myself the distraction of some YouTube videos.

Then I made a return to bed ─ I doubt that it was as late as 6:30 a.m.

Some further sleep did occasionally touch me, and it was just past 9:00 a.m. when I checked the time and rose for the day.

It had rained very lightly overnight and through the morning, and became a little heavier in the afternoon.  We need an end to the snow and ice we have accumulated since before Christmas.

Neither my youngest step-son Pote nor his girlfriend evidently had to work today.  Even though the two had retired last night just ahead of me, they never rose today until around noon.  They drove off together in my eldest step-son Tho's car to do some grocery shopping of sorts, and then returned to cook themselves lunch.

I was unsure if Tho had gone to work, but it seems that he must have.  (He is under a driving suspension, so his car is generally ready for Pote's free use.)

During Pote's shopping absence, he texted me to ask if I needed anything, but I said that I did not.  I already had my day's first meal at hand ─ the last of the leftovers from my wife Jack's cooking this past Tuesday.  I had brought the meal up to my room last night ─ it had been part of my intended supper, but I did not have too much of an appetite.

Once Pote and his girlfriend were back, he asked me if I was hungry, so I explained that I was at that very moment engaged in eating my day's first meal.

I don't know what they prepared for themselves, but once they had eaten, they were back in bed.

I also sought some bed-rest.

By the way, I normally blog in Firefox, but today I am trying out Opera.  For whatever peculiar reason, Firefox has begun slowing down dramatically as I create my posts.  Text I have typed does not display, and neither does spacing.

To get these to actually occur, I have to start shaking my mouse until the text letters and spacing gradually appear.  It all becomes especially severe once I start adding images to the post.

It had been my experience that restarting my computer seemed to refresh Firefox, but yesterday I went through that very process to absolutely no helpful effect.  It was a time waste.

So if I meet with the same ridiculous challenge today in Opera, then I will know that the fault lies with Blogger itself, and not the browser.  

But let's try some photos and see how this goes.

My wife Jack was in Thailand quite recently to visit her mother after more than 3½ years.  Jack and some of the family even managed to get away to Bangkok and then Ayutthaya, for Jack had never before visited the ruins.

The following photos were taken that day ─ October 30, I believe.


In the next three photos, my wife Jack is wearing the sunglasses, and that is her sister Penn and Penn's son Daniel:




I wonder if those ornamental roosters are there permanently?


Penn, and Penn's son Daniel at the small ornamental elephant behind her:


And now Jack and Daniel:


And I will leave off with three large rooster sculptures (or maybe they are some sort of mythical bird?), and a container serving as a pool (for waterlilies, maybe?):






I am glad that I was never victimized by migraine headaches, although I do sometimes experience rather debilitating associated auras.  My vision will start to swirl or vibrate centrally, and this will increase gradually until I am unable to read print, and my entire field of vision is practically useless .

There is the feeling of motion sickness, too.

All I can do is lie down with my eyes covered and wait for the symptoms to subside.

I never began suffering these until I was into my 50s.  I hope they aren't betokening something worse down the road.

But concerning migraines, a recent study has found that many of the medications used to bring pain relief are actually causing further headaches.

These two reports tell of the study:



 That latter report suggests an alternative that supposedly has a 70% success track record.

The Cleveland Clinic has some information on rebound headaches at its website MY.ClevelandClinic.org:  Rebound Headaches.  It identifies various brand names that have been identified as causing them.


It certainly does suck to be a senior living in the U.S. who requires medication(s) on a steady basis, but how much better is it in Canada or other countries?  I have no idea.

Here's a report on the state of affairs in America:



But just how essential are all of those multiple medications many seniors take?

Jack Harrison (JacksDailyDose.com) had something to say about this sordid Pharmaceutical Industry reality, but I doubt many will break stride and follow his suggestion:  Your Christmas present to Big Pharma.

It's heart-breaking, though.


Here is superb news for anyone who can afford to sauna several times a week:




Take note that it was not just dementia that frequent saunas seemed to stave off development of:
Previous results from the KIHD [Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor] study have shown that frequent sauna bathing also significantly reduces the risk of sudden cardiac death, the risk of death due to coronary artery disease and other cardiac events, as well as overall mortality. According to Professor Jari Laukkanen, the study leader, sauna bathing may protect both the heart and memory to some extent via similar, still poorly known mechanisms. “However, it is known that cardiovascular health affects the brain as well. The sense of well-being and relaxation experienced during sauna bathing may also play a role.”
In my social isolation, I don't know if the following advice from Jack Harrison is going to help anyone who cannot afford to pay to use a sauna practically daily:
The only downside here is the obvious one: Not many of us have a sauna we can duck into anytime we want. 
In some cases, the only option is to join a gym – and, depending on the fee, it may not be worth your while to pay up each month just for a schvitz. 
If you've got the space and the cash, places like Costco now sell mini saunas for the home, and they're not as expensive as you might think. 
But your best and most economical bet is to call your local senior centers; one of them may have a sauna on site or have a deal with a local gym where you can use one for free or cheap.

Well, maybe Pote's girlfriend did have to work.  They headed off in Tho's car after 4:00 p.m., and Pote returned awhile later by himself.

The rain stopped, too.  We sure as heck do not need a freeze with the wet mess out there!

Here now to close today's post is an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

The house I was renting the small unit in was located on Ninth Street, a house or two up from Third Avenue.

I went to bed the evening before at 7:05 p.m.
MONDAY, December 29, 1975 
I haven't slept so poorly for months!  At very most, I may have had 2½ hours ─ but I doubt it. 
And my foot is causing me fret; Friday and S.A.N.E. are a lot closer than I care. 
I see that my original Timex still has a tendency to stop. 
It was pouring during my laundering, and my foot is definitely not promising; no good comics were noticed at the store, nor were there any TV Guides
Toward 9:30 a.m. I lied down, and was up about 11:15 a.m.  I slept some, but obviously I wasn't as tired as I thought I should be. 
Until after 2:00 p.m. 
But I dared not sleep and risk repeating last night's experience. 
It was necessary to spend some time semi-conscious upon my back until 4:00 p.m., the hour selected for my work-out. 
It's been very cool all day in my suite. 
I'll bed at 7:00 p.m.
I had hurt my foot by running a number of miles on city streets some days back.  It felt like maybe there had been a dislocation of one of the bones in the foot.

My concern was that on Friday, I was scheduled to work as a swamper on the blue pick-up truck of a New Westminster charitable organization called S.A.N.E. (Self Aid Never Ends) that is today known as Fraserside Community Services Society.

My mother Irene Dorosh had given me a fancy Timex watch for Christmas, and then immediately after, I discovered that my old Timex still functioned ─ all I had needed to do was wind it.

I had to do my laundry in a laundromat ─ I believe that it was located on Sixth Avenue up near the public library.  I would always try to get there as soon after its 8:00 a.m. opening as I could in order to avoid people who would later fill the place up.

However, I now have no idea what store it was that I would keep an eye out for new Marvel comics.

This seems to be the second consecutive day in which I had not spoken a word to anybody.  I never had a phone.

It is no wonder that I am as socially isolated as I am today in my old age.
Post a Comment