.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Friday, December 2, 2016

The Tryptophan/Melatonin/Serotonin Connection │ The Celebrex Lie

I only had my midday meal yesterday, and that may have contributed to how hard my drinks last evening affected me ─ I felt quite hungover this morning.

All morning.

I had drunk the usual two or three ounces of liquor, and then my three allotted strong (8% alcohol) cans of beer; but then I had two moderately strong (6.4% alcohol) cans of beer after that.

My younger brother Mark was poor company, passing out for maybe 1½ hours, and entertaining me for five minutes with one of his infernal sneezing fits.

These things tend to kick in when he's passed out in his chair and then gags or chokes a little.  I tried counting how many sneezes he essentially roars or shouts out over the course of those five or so minutes, but I got confused at one point.  So the total was anywhere from 20 to 23.

It's all actually quite disgusting as he spews forth the contents of his lungs into the living room atmosphere over and over again while the extended sneezing fit lasts.

There are usually at least 10 to 15 seconds between the sneezes, and it is damnably annoying with that going on while I try to concentrate on a television programme I am interested in.

These fits only strike when he's plastered.

If I have any open food present, I take it away to a room upstairs; and I keep my hand over the opening of my can of beer.  It's bad enough that I have to breathe whatever he's projecting around for those five minutes.

Anyway, he never went on up to his room for the night until a little after 11:00 p.m.  I don't know if the sleep he gets when he's passed out in his chair contributes anything worthwhile to his night's total or not.

He keeps his alarm set for no later than 4:20 a.m. so he can get up to ready for his workday.

At 64 years of age, I don't know how he can keep this up.

I'm unsure if I made it to bed before or after midnight; either way, it would have been fairly close around then, I think.

But I sure felt rough this morning.

I wanted to do the four-mile round-trip hike to the government liquor store over at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard here in Whalley, but I decided to put in what I consider a full day's work at the post I have been putting together since last Tuesday at one of my hosted websites.

I knew that I would need to return to bed for awhile before I went anywhere.

I finally ate something late in the morning, and I think it was something like 12:44 p.m. when at last I sought some bedrest.

By the way, my youngest step-son Pote and his girlfriend were here all bloody morning again ─ I am exceedingly fed up with having him home like this during the week.  I wish to hell that his employers would put him on a day shift and give me the peace and privacy during the week that I so crave.

The pair may have gone out while I was seeking rest, for my eldest step-son Tho's car was gone ─ Pote has been using it during the week while Tho endures a driving suspension.

Whatever the case, it was 2:29 p.m. before I got that hike underway.

It had rained all morning, and was still doing so ─ and it was rather blustery.

I wouldn't have gone if I had felt like exercising, but that sort of activity was impossible the way I had felt ─ especially with Pote and his girlfriend here.

My conscience is such that I am driven to atone for the lost activity by making the effort to do the beer hike.  Carrying home a dozen cans of beer in each hand for two miles tends to be something of a workout, so I am able to placate my conscience by inflicting the errand upon myself.

There was nothing of note about the journey.  The rain had basically stopped as I was  making the return hike.

And I was back into the house by 3:55 p.m.

I want now to post some further photos that I do believe my wife Jack may have taken in Bangkok on October 29 when the Grand Palace was opened up for the Thai people to pay their respects to their King Bhumibol Adulyadej's urn or coffin.

She had left Canada on the evening of October 24 to fly to Thailand to visit her mother and other family and friends in Nong Soong, very near to Udon Thani; and she returned to Canada on November 21.

Jack and some of her family and friends appeared to have gone there to show their respect.  Whether they managed to get free passage from Udon Thani or not, I have yet to determine. 

This boy may be Daniel, the son of my wife Jack's sister Penn:

This next photo may just be a random capture of some of the nearby crowd:

I don't know if these people were part of Jack's group or not ─ Jack likes children, so she my simply have taken the photo for that reason:

Some handsome young men in uniform:

Possibly Daniel again, my wife Jack's nephew:

Jack's sister Penn...and Penn's son Daniel, I expect:

More probable random shots of the nearby crowd:


You might enjoy this fairly short article inspired by the recent U.S. Thanksgiving and the elaborate feasts that tend to go with it:


There is a little more on the tryptophan/melatonin/serotonin connection here:


That published study is from a journal entirely devoted to studies of tryptophan, if you can believe it ─ the International Journal of Tryptophan Research.


Within the past couple or so days, I included some information in a post that contested the truth of a recently published study which claimed that pain-relief drug Celebrex was no more dangerous than medications like Naproxen and Ibuprofen

I am not going to link to that most suspect study again.  Rather, I want to link to two excellent reports published by Forbes that anyone being confronted with a Celebrex prescription on the basis that it has been found to be safe ought to read:


Why would anyone bother with any of those useless drugs?  The best that they can do is potentially mask some of the pain ─ they do nothing to treat what is actually causing it.

A sensible study has just been published that declares its results prove that combined chondroitin and glucosamine supplementation were at least equal to celecoxib (Celebrex) for pain relief, and they were superior to celecoxib when it came to improving the damage done by knee osteoarthritis.

Here are a couple of reports on the study:



This is the final paragraph of the study:
These results confirm that the combination of chondroitin sulfate plus glucosamine hydrochloride has proven non-inferior to celecoxib in reducing pain. No differences were found for stiffness, functional limitations, joint swelling and effusion after 6 months of treatment in patients with severe pain from osteoarthritis of the knee, and the combination has a similar good safety profile and tolerability. This combination of SYSADOA appears to be beneficial in the treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee and should offer a safe and effective alternative for those patients with cardiovascular or gastrointestinal conditions.
SYSADOA stands for symptomatic slow acting drugs for osteoarthritis.

Why would anyone run the risk of medications that can cause serious cardiovascular trouble like strokes and heart attacks, or gastrointestinal complications like ulcers and intestinal bleeding?

Go natural every time!


Here is where I close off with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the cramped quarters in a house located on Ninth Street at Third Avenue.
TUESDAY, December 2, 1975

I didn't rouse till after 4:00 a.m.; and even so, I was fortunate, for I felt it was only around 1:00 a.m.; I was dreaming.

I did my 12 laps in foot-slipping slush with my shirt wide open so as not to irritate my left teat any further; it was raining lightly, but mild.

The postal strike is into day 43.

I went to Safeway to shop:  I spent $10.68.  As I was about to enter, I am sure Karen from last year's BJRT course was in line.

I lied down from about 11:50 a.m. - 1:10 p.m., sleeping an hour, anyway.

I picked up more sleep when I lied down from about 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Happy Days was very touching and warming tonight; Joanie (Erin Moran) developed a crush on Potsie after he sang "Put Your Head on My Shoulder" to her in practice; the show didn't carry on unnecessarily foolishly with this sort of development, and I'm glad to have been able to watch it.

I finished reading Red Moon and Black Mountain; excellent.  I've begun William Beckford's Vathek.  

All the resting I've been doing was directed toward preparing me for midnight's Ulysses Against the Son of Hercules; but after retiring soon after 10:00 p.m. and having difficulty falling asleep, I decided to forgo the show.
I would often have ferociously sore nipples from extended running due to the fabric of whatever top I had on rubbing across them.  I eventually just ran topless.  My runs at this time were being done at the New Westminster Secondary School track at hours in which I was unlikely to be bothered with other people. 

I had thought that the postal strike had ended!  Did I previously say so mistakenly?

It was back in November and December of 1974 that I had attended a full-time eight-week course called Basic Job Readiness Training (BJRT), but I can't exactly recall who "Karen" may have been.

Okay, now I must hustle and prepare a bit of supper ─ I do not want to miss out and end up with another hangover tomorrow morning!
Post a Comment