.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Is a Digestive Byproduct of Eating Meat and Eggs Increasing Heart Disease Risk? │ The Monstrous Statin Scam │ High Blood Pressure in the Very Elderly Seems to Prevent Dementia

My wife Jack was not happy with her youngest son Poté when she arrived home late last afternoon.

I think that I had mentioned here yesterday that he seemed busily engaged down in the boys' den area doing a heck of a lot of rearranging, and making trips out to the garbage bins.

Well, Jack must have had 20 or more boxes of shoes stored in the den area, and Poté ─ whose slovenly habits led to the residency of our rat tenant back in December ─ decided to get cracking and reduce its hiding opportunities.

Many of Jack's shoe boxes were off the floor and stacked up on various shelves and such. But Poté decided that each box was a potential refuge for the vermin, and so he trashed them all.

She arrived home to find her shoes all set out neatly on the floor. They can no longer be stacked like they had been ─ she will now have to bag most of them up.

And Poté's 19 ─ not nine.

Meantime, his present girlfriend just lied on the bed and let him wreak his havoc without a womanly thought as to what offence to his mother he might be committing.

Anyway, I was up later than I otherwise would have been last night, since Jack seldom goes to bed as early as I would try to. Was it after 12:30 a.m. when I saw that she had finally retired and I was able to follow suit? Maybe.

I had my usual night of often broken sleep during the latter half of my time in bed. It was 8:56 a.m. when finally I checked the time and immediately decided to rise so that I could get to work at the post I started yesterday at my Lawless Spirit website.

Poté and his girlfriend were still in bed, so clearly neither of them had to go to work early. The day seemed overcast, but mild.

Jack rose for the day well before 11:00 a.m., but I kept working on the post. I have a predetermined minimum amount of content that I strive to put into such posts each day that I am at work upon them.

I suspected that she was readying to go out, but I held fast. And before I was done ─ and before Poté and his girlfriend were yet up ─ Jack took off on some errand. We had not exchanged a word this morning.

Jack's absence allowed me to get out to the backyard shed for some exercise. When I came back into the house, Poté and his girlfriend were undoubtedly slopping up the kitchen and stove making pancakes.

It is 12:35 p.m. as I type these words. Jack texted me just prior to me commencing this post, so I at least know some of what she is presently up to. When she gets back home, I hope she is not silent if there is indeed a mess in the kitchen.

Perhaps I will leave this account with this photo of Jack taken last September 8 ─ an extremely warm and sunny afternoon. She is standing just beyond the back left corner of our home:


I found the following article to be curious, for I had not noticed any reports of late that tried to thrash meat and eggs:


Neither had I seen any reports concerning any recent study that indicted red meat and eggs for being behind a rise in dangerous levels of TMAO (trimethylamine N-oxide).

Inspired to do a little research, I did locate this mention of such a recently published study:


That medical doctor recommends "limiting or avoiding red meat, processed meats and possibly other animal products in your diet" pending further research.

My first reference proclaimed that it is gut bacteria that actually produce the TMAO, and that is certainly the case as this August 11, 2016, article well illustrates:


Heck, that article even mentioned that fish when consumed increased circulating TMAO "within 15 minutes by 50 times compared with measurements after eating eggs or beef."

I even located the precise 53% attribution to fish of increased TMAO levels that the first report had quoted...but in this instance, it was specifically halibut that achieved those levels ─ see this May 6, 2013, article:


As that last article pointed out, it is fatty fish like halibut in our diets that actually prevents heart disease!

I also came across another article that was published on March 24, 2016, speaking about yet another study on this topic of gut bacteria producing TMAO ─ actually, it says that the bacteria produce TMA (trimethylamine), but our livers convert that into TMAO:


To me, the implication in all of this is that we need to ensure that our populations of gut bacteria are of the types spoken of in terms of probiotics and prebiotics. We cannot go wrong if we have the beneficial types protecting us, as they do in a multitude of ways that science is only beginning to comprehend.

But I think there is also a strong case here for avoiding meat and eggs from harmful mega-farms and concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs).

Heart disease has only become a serious problem in modern history, but people have been eating meat and eggs for millenia.

By the way, no one identified the actual recent study, but I tracked it down: Gut microbiota-dependent trimethylamine N-oxide in acute coronary syndromes: a prognostic marker for incident cardiovascular events beyond traditional risk factors (doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehw582).


If anyone who is taking statin medications due to cholesterol concerns can read the following two reports and not have his or her eyes opened wide, then there is just no helping that soul:



The closing paragraph in that second report is fabulous, perfectly describing that degreed researchers working for the Pharmaceutical Industry, as well as all of the doctors out there who readily push these medications upon their patients:
“As the great American writer Upton Sinclair once said: ‘It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
Researchers in a recently published study were quite surprised to discover that seniors of advanced age who rather suddenly developed high blood pressure were actually less likely to develop dementia than were those seniors with what is deemed to be acceptable blood pressure.

Here are some reports on the study:





As I have stated many times in this blog, I have no idea what my blood pressure is, and I cannot remember how many years ago it was that I last had my blood pressure tested. I am simply unworried over it.


It is 5:36 p.m. now as I type these words. My wife Jack hustled away with some prepared food right around or just after 3:00 p.m., saying nothing to me, but speaking in Thai to some extent with her youngest son Poté.

At least she cooked up a lot of food here for us if she is not returning now for several days.

But just in case she does show up and is only away temporarily, I am going to close now with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.  

I was renting the small space in a house located on Ninth Street, and one or two houses up from Third Avenue
SUNDAY, January 25, 1976

I was up before 6:00 a.m., but I'd been awake a long while, having slept badly enough.

My breakfast was a huge affair, being 32 ozs of yogurt with bread, plus lots more bread thick with butter and peanut butter. 

I early lied down for a nap, and after it laid awhile awake before rising 12:30 p.m.

A few minutes before 4:00 p.m. came the sound of hard footsteps and then some unfamiliar knocking; then came a call in an unfamiliar tone asking if I was home; then the footsteps left.

I peeked out and saw a car taking off ─ with what looked like Norman behind the wheel!

I left a note for him explaining where I'd gone when I went to Bill's, but it apparently went unread.

I lost the lottery. The next one is for $6 million in first prizes!

Bill let me have 3 hotdogs, and they gave me heartburn.

Bed 11:15 p.m.
Norman Dearing was an old friend whom I had not seen in months because he had gone upcountry to work. I normally never answered my door if I was not expecting anyone, and people who best knew me understood this.

In Norman's case, he used to use an identifying special knock. So if it was indeed he who had attempted to visit me, then it is a shame that he neglected to remember to use it.

My old friend William Alan Gill lived quite nearby ─ he was renting a bachelor suite maybe four or so blocks from my room. I sometimes watched T.V. at his place because he had a good colour model, whereas I only had a smaller black & white.

I believe that I had an interest in five Olympic Lottery tickets for the draw scheduled for that day ─ likely that was why I went to Bill's suite. He may also have had a ticket.    

I do not indicate that I was particularly downfallen for having won nothing in the draw ─ I had been so wonderfully optimistic and hopeful.

But let's return to today for just a bit.

Poté's girlfriend left here at exactly 5:41 p.m. ─ someone must surely have been outside to give her a ride. Perhaps she had a short shift at one of the two restaurants she has a part-time job at?

As for Poté, he also has two part-time jobs. Yet he never worked on Saturday and Sunday; and now he has also had off Tuesday and Wednesday.

How? He took the second job and cut down his hours with the first one because he was getting slightly more per hour at the new job. But he seems to be putting in far less time overall for the two jobs than he did for the original one he had.

This surely cannot be paying off? It is certainly irritating having him home so damned much.

One other thing I want to mention is a find that I made this afternoon on the living room carpet beneath a potted plant. 

Initially I thought that it was a tiny bit of leaf or something, but its shape also resembled a wasp. I concluded that it was indeed the desiccated insect. 

I thought to pick it up and drop it into one of the potted plants so that its corpse would afford some fertilization, but I had pause to first wonder how it was that it came to be there.

Could it be alive? It appeared to be lying on its back, but I was not entirely certain.

So I took a bit of a dead leaf from the potted plant and made to lift the insect, but not quite getting the leaf beneath it. However, a leg seemed to have latched onto the leaf, and the insect was being lifted aloft regardless.

Then I saw it slowly and weakly making effort to climb up onto the leaf. It was most definitely alive, but practically lethargic to the state of being dormant.

I tossed about what to do with it beyond just freeing it outside ─ it would likely die. For quite some time, I left it on its bit of leaf that I had set upon a slat of wood that was itself placed across the living room coffee table, until I finally located an empty jar. 

I went outside and found a couple of dead maple leaves, and tore these into pieces to partly fill the jar. I then placed the wasp and its bit of leaf atop the foundation of maple leaf pieces.

Then I obtained some honey and put a big drop atop the wasp's leaf...but the wasp was no long on it, nor was it visible. I suspect that it worked itself beneath the leaf, or even deeper into the maple leaf pieces beneath.

Whatever the case, I now have the jar set up in front of a wide-open section of my bedroom window where it will be exposed to some of the cool of the outside. Since I do not have a lid covering the jar, I do not want the wasp to potentially revive too much and find the vigour to escape the jar.

The plan is to house it in the jar until a warmer month is upon us. Tomorrow I will puncture two holes into the lid to afford air circulation for the lid's future use to contain the wasp in the jar. Heck, from time-to-time, I may even place the jar out on the sundeck.
Post a Comment