.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Thursday, February 9, 2017

Detox Diets Are Not Enough │ Seniors Active Online Shown to Resist Cognitive Decline │ Utterly Mad Science: Pig/Human Hybrids Are Here Now

I didn't feel too bad over the course of last evening as my younger brother Mark and i watched our shows and drank, but I only consumed two of the allotted three cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer I had intended once I had eaten supper. I felt overfull.

Nevertheless, the pain from the enormous swelling over my left temporomandibular joint had me rundown and ready for bed once Mark and I were finished with our programming. Eagerly, I was soon under the covers no later than 10:59 p.m.

Possibly the first hour was comfortable enough, but soon the intricate variations of pain assaults had me at my wit's end ─ what did I have to do in order to sleep?

Throbbing pain, piercing stabs of pain, ongoing aching ─ it was a nightmare.

When I had confronted Mark in the kitchen soon after he was home last evening and he finally got a good look at the swelling, his verdict was that I had an abscess from an infected dental root. He claimed to have had two in the past, and each time he had gotten a wisdom tooth removed to forever be done with the possibility of a recurrence of the eruption.  

He said that in one case of swelling, after he got an antibiotic prescription filled, and then popped whatever dose was indicated (once he was in the bar), he did feel better. And that night, it was as if the swelling suddenly ruptured and everything drained out ─ that side of his face had entirely normalized.

But he still kept an appointment with his dentist to get the culprit tooth extracted that next day.

However, I am not suffering any dental sensitivity ─ not even deep in the gum. I can chew on the affected side of my mouth, but of course I have to do so softly because the temporomandibular joint is so sensitive.

Last night in bed was hellish.

Obviously I cannot rest the afflicted side of my head upon a pillow; but I came to suspect that even lying with the opposite side of my head thereon was quite likely applying some force to the mandible that would push over to the affected joint.

It became impossible to lie in bed at all, so I sought a very large and heavy blanket and piled it up into a large mound, atop of which I set my pillow lengthwise, with another pillow across it at the top.

And from there, I just tried to find comfort, variously lying against that heap while on my side, or else upon my back. Interludes of any sleep were hard-won and brief ─ mostly, I was awake and in anguish.

Around 6:15 .m., I was ready to get up. I found that my youngest step-son Poté was already up, and he would be heading off for work within the hour.

By the way, there were times in the night when I was sensitive to the cool air outside of my covers; yet later, I was perspiring somewhat.

It had begun raining last evening ─ not hard, but it would sustain, and start the work of ridding the foot or more of snow that we had accumulated outside.

Anyway, after I was up this morning, I had no sooner fixed my morning's cup of hot instant coffee, when I felt worn right out and ready to go back and lie down. But I held off. I did not want to lose a second consecutive day's work on the post I needed to add content to at my Latin Impressions website.

I had to take three breaks from it, but I finally did put in what amounts to a regular day's work.

I twice tried returning to bed to rest, but the pain from the swelling was just too unrelenting. I even courted the notion of seeking medical attention, but I knew conditions outside were too sloppy for foot travel in my state. Besides, the pain was just too overwhelming. I would have been unable to sit and wait for my turn in a clinic because of how exhausting the pain is.

Apart from the aching pain at the site of the enormous swelling, it radiates somewhat to the side of my neck and the skull in back of my ear. But most bothersome are the piercing jabs of pain that frequently assail my outer ear, feeling just as if someone had sharply poked the ear with a needle.

The pain is paralyzing.

In the end, I began considering pain relief medication. What I was experiencing was beyond bearing.

Poté had given me a tiny container of Advil tablets three or four days ago, but I had not taken any. In fact, a couple of days ago I returned them to where he probably keeps them.

In my agonizing weakness and defeat, I finally went to seek them out this morning. There were actually only two tablets remaining. I read the directions, and saw that the recommended dose was one tablet every four hours, or two tablets ever eight hours; and never more than either six or eight tablets in a day.

I was only interested in trying one shot, so at about 10:25 a.m. I swallowed a tablet, and followed it with my now-cold coffee.

I was certain that it was my imagination, but it almost seemed like the effect was being demonstrated immediately. Yet in five minutes, there was no argument ─ the oppressive pain was essentially gone.

This seemed almost miraculous.

As I type these words, it is 2:46 p.m., and I am still largely relieved of the degree of pain that I had been suffering. I have not taken a second tablet. If I do, it will be at bedtime so that I can finally get some relief and hopefully sleep.

I took these two photos of my swollen face this morning at 11:00 a.m. ─ it does look even larger than it did in yesterday's two photos:

I feel as monstrous as I look, believe me!

If the swelling persists, I might consider seeking a medical clinic tomorrow just to be assured that the whole affair is not infectious, but rather some manner of TMJD (temporomandibular joint dysfunction). If it is that condition, I must surely have an unusually large case of swelling from it.


Maybe I need a so-called "detox" diet and lifestyle, but I cannot afford either.

For anyone in a position to be trying this sort of thing, Dr. Marc S. Micozzi presented two related articles on the topic just within the past three days. If you are interested, here they are:


It sure does stand to reason that embarking upon a detox diet whilst surrounding yourself with an endless number of pollutants within the home is only a half-measure. The whole lifestyle has to be embraced.


When my younger brother Mark finally retires, I am going to have to do my best to get him computer-savvy. He'll need something to stave off cognitive decline ─ heavy drinking day after day will lose him.

A recent study has found that seniors who become involved with the online world have a strong advantage mentally over those who have less engagement in anything similarly stimulating.

Here are some reports on the study:




Mark needs something. He will be 65 in July. At the rate he is pickling his brain with alcohol, he'll be senile before he's 70 if he retires late this year and sinks into drinking full-time because he has no other outlet for his time.


This next report is very disturbing. This sort of thing is fine in movies and T.V. shows; but in real life, we are too far out of our league.



There are things that can go wrong that no one even likely suspects as yet. The whole concept is wrong.

Unfortunately, the pain from my face swelling is becoming too much for me to sit here making further comment.


The pain started its return around 4:00 p.m., so I lied down for an hour in the hope that I could extend the timing before having a second Advil ─ I had not wanted to take the second one until bedtime.

But after 5:00 p.m.,it had become impossible.

I was downstairs awaiting the boiling of water for my day's second hot instant coffee, and beset with such piercing agony that I was walking rapid circles through the living room and kitchen, all the while holding my hands up at my head, and virtually lamenting to God for mercy.

Finally the water had boiled, and I had my coffee.

I returned here to take the second Advil, but there was not the dramatic near-instant relief that the first had yielded me. Perhaps a large midday meal bore responsibility for the delay and the milder effect.

I even had to lie down for another 15 minutes awaiting enough relief to return here to continue this post.

Lord, I hope that I have not already become more immune to Advil's pain-killing after just one tab?! This scares me.

I am going to close my post with an entry from my journal of 41 years ago, and then go and lie down and basically await Mark's homecoming from work ─ or 8:00 p.m., whichever comes first. I would, though, like to squeeze in a bath ─ I missed out yesterday due to how horrible I felt.

On this day in 1976, I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. I was renting that small escape from the world, in a house that was located on Ninth Street, and one or two houses up from Third Avenue.

My bedtime was 9:00 p.m. the evening before this journal entry.
MONDAY, February 9, 1976

It must easily have taken 2 hours for me to get to sleep last night; I arose 3:30 a.m. 

Saturday I breakfasted on a pancake, with a handful of cheezies later at Nell's along with the huge quantity of beer for nourishment.

And yesterday I had an orange for supper; that's been the least I've ever eaten in a 2 day period.

I got to the laundry first this cool, overcast morning, only to have simple Joe trail me in and borrow a quarter.

Three guys had come in to use the place during my stay there, one man borrowing another quarter which I never expected to get back, but he soon erased the debt.

I bought 2 comics.

I've really had a boring day, and cold, and hungry. I've eaten 3 pancakes today, and admit to feeling trembly all day. I plan to bed at 8:30 p.m. 
I had become involved in a bar-hopping birthday party that commenced at my maternal Aunt Nell Halverson's home out in Surrey on Saturday. The party also carried on at her home after the bars had closed.

I had to do my laundry in a laundromat that I think may have been on Sixth Avenue, up near the public library. I generally tried to be first there when its doors opened automatically at...8:00 a.m., I suspect. 

I now have no idea who "simple Joe" was.

It may have been a boring day for me, but the days I am having of late are absolutely cruel to experience. I just may try and get to a nearby walk-in medical clinic tomorrow, roughly four blocks from here. I need to know that the swelling is not an infection.
Post a Comment