.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Monday, February 6, 2017

Two New Unneeded Canine Flu Vaccines │ Hypertension Drug Doesn’t Boost Survival │ Interactions with Online Friends Increases Longevity

I have not previously mentioned it, but four or even five mornings ago, I noticed some sensitivity in the region of my left temporomandibular joint ─ the area where the jaw attaches to the skull right by the ear.

The degree of sensitivity increased over the day, and there seemed to be some swelling of an area maybe the size of a quarter (25¢).

The following day, I could see the swelling. Thankfully, I have been letting my beard grow, so no one can likely notice it unless they are staring at me intently, and that has yet to happen.

The swelling has increased with each day. And for the first time last night, the latter part of my night's bed-rest was impeded due to the pain, particularly when I would lay that side of my head on my pillow.

For the past two or three days, I find that I am limited as to how wide I can open my mouth. For instance, in order to insert a spoonful of food, I cannot have the spoon heaped ─ my mouth is unable to open wide enough to accommodate the insertion of that utensil and its cargo.

The swollen area now resembles what one might expect if there were a whole hard-boiled egg embedded within that part of my head, and the sensitivity has spread to surrounding areas.

I was perfectly miserable this morning as I worked at compiling content into the post I commenced last Friday at my Latin Impressions website. I had gotten to bed last night at 12:03 a.m., I think; and I was up for the day this morning ahead of 7:00 a.m.

My youngest step-son Poté was up ─ he must have had to take away his girlfriend earlier so that she could start work at one of her two part-time restaurant jobs.

In my misery, I began strongly resenting him being at home. The greatest annoyance was tha ever since he busted off the key in the lock to the backyard shed last Friday evening, I have been unable to have a go at getting the key stem out. I am never alone to seek out the tools I might require ─ they are all in the area where my two step-sons spend their time.

I had hoped that he was going to go to work early this morning, but he did not ─ I soon noticed that he had returned to bed.

The best part of my exercising regimen is only possible in that shed. I have an apparatus allowing me to do some pull-ups and partial dips, as well as a few hanging leg-raises. I have even begun using it to allow me to do assisted one-legged squats.

I can do none of this in the house.

And at the age of 67, my muscles deteriorate quickly if they are not regularly challenged ─ and I had already skipped a session there on Friday in order to ensure that I would get out to do some local grocery shopping. Thus, I had already lost three days.

Sure, I have a heavy dumbbell here in the house, but it is too heavy for me to do much with ─ I think that it's 42½ pounds. I only use it to do a couple of sets of cheating knee-curls of 10 reps apiece, and a further couple of sets of overhead cheating presses of 10 reps apiece.

I well cheat on those overhead presses, bending my knees to help launch the dumbbell overhead with whichever arm I am using. I guess the only thing to my credit is that at the fast descent to my shoulder, I resist allowing the dumbbell to rest on it.

The dumbbell can in no wise make up for the loss of my shed exercising.

After doing what I wanted with that post I was working on, I then returned to bed a little after 11:00 a.m. to see if I could nap. Poté was showering by then.

I was down for maybe an hour, unsure if I slept, but I suspect that I did get some sleep. I arose feeling possibly more miserable than I had been earlier ─ the swelling would be monstrous to behold if not for the beard cover.

But the pain ─ it is tolerable enough, but it is relentless. Unremitting pain does not have to be excruciating to start taking a stress toll on one's systems; all it takes is the presence of that pain without let day after day.

Happily, I discovered Pote to have gone ─ he must have had an early afternoon shift start. Rough as I felt, I resorted to the area where the various hardware is kept and rounded up a half-dozen or so of potential tools to help try and remove the key stem. Poté had tried for at least half an hour on Saturday with no success.

He said that he would buy a locksmith's key extractor tool, but I am just witnessing days passing while nothing is getting done.

Well, I went out to the shed, and after trying unsuccessfully for maybe a couple of minutes to extract the key stem, I wondered if maybe the keyhole needed to be turned upwards ─ Poté had gotten the chamber inverted. It occurred to me that sometimes a key will be fixed in a lock if it is turned partway.

So I tried working the key chamber upwards to the left, but got little satisfaction. I could hear workings within the lock, however. I next tried moving it upwards to the right, and this seemed to engage something. I looked... and saw that the lock bolt had withdrawn from the door jam and the door was now unlocked.

So I pushed the door inwards and had access to the shed again.    

I celebrated with my usual exercise session, and then set to work removing the lock assemblage. I tried banging the front of the lock several times over a hard surface, but it did nothing to shake out the key stem.

So I brought it into the house, and it is sitting on the desk and just in front of Poté's computer.

I also brought out two shovels and left them on the backyard sundeck. We have been unable to do any snow shoveling, and there is a foot of it out there ─ with more falling. We may have at least two more inches of snow by morning.

With all of that done, I decided to try a treatment for my temporomandibular joint dysfunction. I lied on my side in bed, with the problem area of my head facing toward the ceiling. I then used an eyedropper and filled the ear canal with 3% hydrogen peroxide.

And I just lay there for 15 - 16 minutes, letting the hydrogen peroxide softly crackle away. There was no discomfort. Quite the contrary ─ at times some tickling would be about all I could bear.

I have no idea why I am in this condition. Stress? Jaw grinding in my sleep? An infection? If the latter, I sure hope that it is not dental. My teeth and gums feel fine. But if it is some other infectious cause, perhaps the hydrogen peroxide may help.

Unfortunately, after the treatment, I have been unable to get my ear canal unblocked, and so I am left feeling as if I left in an earplug. It is quite annoying having my hearing so reduced.

However, eventually I expect that I will yawn ─ as much as I dare allow my mouth to enjoy, since I cannot open it too wide. I think that will bring about the pop of clarity my ear needs to start hearing properly again.

Now, concerning the snow ─ I took these five photos this morning at 9:06 a.m., facing out the living room window into our cul-de-sac here in Surrey:

Poté was in bed at the time ─ that is his car in the first photo, parked in my younger brother Mark's spot in the open car-port.

Google went ahead and created a panorama from those photos:


The following is from NewMarketHealth.com, and may be of interest to anyone who has a dog in his or her life:
Did you know you could get the flu from...your dog?

Actually, not really. It's never happened. But, you know, anything is possible, right?

Despite that, scientists from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry are using that hypothetical fear to hype two new live-virus flu shots they've concocted for dogs.

According to a press release from the university's medical center, dogs "have the potential to act as 'mixing vessels' and generate new flu strains that could infect people."

And while, "this hasn't happened yet," the release notes, experts say it's possible...maybe...sort of.

Well, it's also possible that these guys are playing up our fears to make sure we get our pups vaccinated with the same hysterical approach used to make sure people get the flu shot!

But despite what you may have heard about canine influenza, dogs aren't dropping like flies from it -- in fact, most won't even get seriously ill. So, if your vet has been pushing you to get your dog the flu shot that's now available, here's what you really need to know:
  • Around half of dogs who do get the canine flu don't show any symptoms at all. Others may have mild reactions that will resolve all on their own.
  • Just like us, pups who have a strong immune system are much less likely to get sick in the first place -- and if they do, recover faster with fewer symptoms. Probiotics are a good way to keep your dog's immune system going strong (and yours, too!).
  • The current flu shot for dogs that's being given isn't that good in the first place. It's said to provide only limited, short-term protection at best.
And when this new shot the Rochester researchers are working on hits the market, remember: Just as with human drugs, the true side effects won't be known for some time.

And that makes the first dogs who will get this vaccine nothing more than canine guinea pigs!
That made me decide to find out more, so I have these additional articles about the study ─ all favorable, of course:



My brother Mark and I have not had a dog in the family in over 36 years, I would estimate. But if I had a dog, I would not be subjecting the poor creature to a vaccine for something as ludicrous as the flu.


This doesn't concern me ─ I would never take blood pressure medication, but so many people do. Of course, I don't need my blood pressure controlled, insofar as I know.

A recent study has turned up the proof that a class of medications called ACE inhibitors really offer scant advantage to people with high blood pressure or who have heart disease ─ the two main purposes for which it is prescribed.

Here are a couple of reports ─ the first is highly negative about the medications:



That second report does indeed get rather technical, doesn't it?


If you make heavy use of social media, you might actually be doing yourself a favour where longevity is concerned ─ this is an interesting report on how folks with strong online social networks appear to have increased longevity over people who are not socially involved in 'real' life:


I think anything that keeps a person invested in life will benefit longevity. And that leaves me at a considerable disadvantage.

I have no close friends online or offline, and I just about hate my life as it presently exists.


Well, here it is maybe four hours after that hydrogen peroxide treatment in my left ear, and the darned thing still feels plugged up. I even tried lying down on my left side for maybe 15 minutes, but it brought no change. It just made me want to remain there and go to sleep.

It feels like my life just has one ill after the other piled onto it, with ongoing,inescapable debt the foundation of all of my ills. 

I would love to get to bed reasonably early tonight, but my wife Jack had said that she would be by from Vancouver to probably spend the night. Thus, I will have to sit up until she feels herself ready to call it a night.

Perhaps I will have to 'fess up and allow as to this affliction just so that I can retire ahead of her. It's just that she is in and out of the bedroom so much, I will not fail to be disturbed.

I am closing now with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the small hideaway in a house located on Ninth Street, and perhaps a house or two up from Third Avenue.

My plan for the day was a hike out to my mother Irene Dorosh's home in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey. The little house she shared with her husband Alex was my main mailing address. And although the house is now gone, its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue.

To hike there from my room at a face pace would take about 1½ hours.

I had gone to bed at 8:00 p.m. the evening prior to this entry, partly due to how cold my room was.
FRIDAY, February 6, 1976

I had a very difficult night trying to sleep, and starting it off cold for so long really didn't help.

I got up 3:45 a.m.

I left about 6:35 a.m. in the freezing pre-dawn for mom's, mailing Terri's letter along the way.

I arrived to find a FAX book list awaiting me.

Bill phoned before noon, wanting to go to the drive-in tonight; he offered to pick me up, but I said I'd walk, and ring him about 6:00 p.m.

I bought some envelopes at Safeway, then at the health food store I bought a pound each of raisins and wheat germ, and 2 lbs. bran.

My appetite betrayed me today, and I overate; my pre-feeding weight was over 190.

My foot sure feels dislocated deep within the arch area.

Because of Bill, I left mom's before 3:30 p.m. so I could get home and prepare; the day was sunny, and my walk cool.

Bill treated me to the Westminster Drive-in; The Macon County Line was good, but the back-up feature The Human Factor was just incredible; I was truly hyped up with a form of inspiration.

At the 7-Eleven Bill bought me a pint of milk. 

I was abed sometime after 11:30 p.m.
I mailed a letter to Terri Martin, an American pen-pal I had.

My old friend William Alan Gill only lived about four or so blocks from my room; he was renting a bachelor suite, and had a brand new car.

That's rather heavy for me ─ 190 pounds before even eating anything after such a good hike. Most of my adult life, I have weighed in the lower 180s.

I had been having considerable foot trouble of late.

The Westminster Drive-In used to exist in Surrey roughly in the area where the Scott Road SkyTrain Station and a Home Depot outlet are now.

Bill didn't enjoy doing things by himself, so he often treated me to all manner of entertainments and treats. He was a dear friend.

Okay, it is approaching 7:00 p.m. The unrelenting annoying pain and pressure of that swelling on the left side of my face have me feeling practically as if I have a fever that is affecting me everywhere, but I don't believe that the symptom is any more than the physical stress to my systems of such unremitting unpleasantness. 
Post a Comment