.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Friday, March 3, 2017

America's Seniors: Medicated to Death │ The Value of Apples in the Diet │ The Weakness of Industry-Funded Post-Marketing Drug Studies

After buying a 4.5-kilogramme tub of smooth natural peanut butter on Wednesday, I have been eating of it almost mercilessly. It is too runny to make a sandwich with, so I simply cut a couple of slices of the loaf of bread I had also bought, then slather butter and coconut oil over them.

After that, I place the two slices into a bowl and just scoop out the runny peanut butter atop the bread.

I also add some aged cheddar cheese, and some sliced fresh ginger root.

I bought some kale yesterday, so upon using a tablespoon to select a quantity of the mixture in the bowl, I spoon that into my mouth, bite off some kale and also some green onions, and then also biting off a small piece of banana, I chew well the surprisingly delicious whole.

If I did not have a medical appointment scheduled each day, I would have also added some chopped garlic cloves into the bowl, and spiced it all with a liberal amount of turmeric and a little cinnamon powder.

Once finished, I also eat a pair of boiled eggs that I had previously prepared.

Late this morning, I also had some coconut from the shell to much on, a small tomato, and a few chunks of fresh pineapple.

Of course, I have a few nutritional supplements that I swallow as well.

It may not strike the fancy of many, but I find it to be a rather hearty, nutritious feed.

Anyway, I made it to bed last night at 10:51 p.m.

I was comfortable in bed overall through the night, but I was also awake quite a lot. I toyed with rising at 6:01 a.m. this morning, but I just then heard my youngest step-son Poté girlfriend coughing, so I remained in bed ─ I have no desire to socialize with the pair so early in my day.

Around 20 minutes later, I decided I would get up, and was pleased to discover that I was alone in the house. The pair had gone to work, as had my eldest stepson Tho and my younger brother Mark.

I think it probably rained all night long, and it has been doing a fair job of it today, too.

I put some work into the edit of an old post at my Siam-Longings website ─ an edit that I began three or four days ago. But I did break off mid-morning so that I could go out to the backyard shed for some exercise in it.

I am trying to regain strength that I lost after being idle for well over two weeks due to a large infection that developed in my left cheek due to a blocked parotid gland duct.

That all started around February 1st, but I never sought medical attention until February 10. From that day until yesterday, I had been taking antibiotics.

The infection cavity is still not clear, and since last Saturday I have been going to Home Health in the high-rise attached to the Gateway SkyTrain Station ─ a walk of almost two miles. A nurse there removes a ribbon dressing that had been inserted into the cavity in my previous visit; and she will then irrigate the cavity, and then pack in a new ribbon dressing.

Then the wound is bandaged over with an absorbent pad, for the ribbon dressing wicks out lymph fluid in surprising quantities. I tend to have to replace the pad a couple of times here at home each day because the pads become saturated, and the liquid then leaks down my neck and into my shirt.

I have a 3:30 appointment today for the nurse's ministrations, and I must start readying promptly, for it is 2:17 p.m. as I type these words. I have already had a bit of a rest in bed, and then a fast bath.

Once my appointment is over with, I hope that I will be emboldened enough to be able to buy a two-dozen flat of strong (8% alcohol) beer at the government liquor store very near there ─ it's at 108th Avenue & King George Boulevard here in Whalley.

That added distance will increase my trek to two miles, and I will be getting a fair amount of exercise hiking all of that beer home for the two-mile return trip. However, my home supply is dwindling, and I am somewhat weary of limiting myself to just one can of beer each evening as I have been doing for the past 10 or more days.

By the way, my eldest step-son Tho was home just a minute or two ahead of noon ─ he must have had a very short day at work.


I was on my way in a steady drizzle of rain at 2:35 p.m., giving myself enough time to take a fairly leisurely pace for a change. And I was at my destination and seated in the waiting area at 3:12 p.m.

Today's nurse was Sylvie (or Sylvia?), someone new to me ─ a rather attractive woman. When I ventured my notion that the quantity of fluid saturating the various pads used to cover the wound makes me wonder if maybe the parotid or salivary duct has perforated, and it is saliva that is wicking out of the cavity, she actually seized upon that as a real possibility.

Anyway, when she extracted the ribbon dressing from that infection cavity, it had a greenish coloring due to infectious discharge. This has been the norm since I have been receiving these ribbon dressings as packing for the cavity.

If I am remembering correctly, she expressed that the responsible bacteria is most likely some kind of Pseudomonas.

Tomorrow's appointment is at 9:00 a.m. She said that on that occasion, the wound would be getting photographed and measured ─ it was measured last Saturday, so this will be for comparison purposes to see if it is reducing.

When I was done, I felt up to braving the nearby government liquor store, even though Sylvie's dressing was more obvious under my fleece hood than have been nurse Grace's the past couple of days.

For whatever reason, the liquor store was very busy. Two tills were open, and there may have been over a half-dozen people lined up and awaiting their turns to finalize their purchases.

I bought my beer, though. And I took my time hiking it back home, for my toes are becoming sensitive from being compressed against the ends of my boots. I am unaccustomed to doing this much walking each and every day.

I mentioned that my eldest step-son Tho had gotten home just ahead of noon. When I was getting set to leave for my appointment, I found that he had locked the door behind him when he came into the house. This is an extremely annoying practice, for it is an inconvenience for the next person who comes home. There is no need to lock the door ─ especially when he is a strapping 22-year-old.

Well, I got back home somewhere between 4:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m., and I found myself locked out. The selfish prick had gone and locked the door behind me after I had left. So instead of just breezing into the house with my punished feet, and my cold and tortured hands that were sore from gripping the straps of the two packs that I had split the two dozen cans of beer into, I had to set down the whole lot and fish out my wallet, and then extract my key from a pocket therein.

This is an affront that I cannot help but take personally.

And it is all the more aggravating because I seem to recall that the door was not locked when he and his younger brother left for work this morning. Too bloody inconsiderate to lock the door after leaving the house with me in bed, but it is damned well unnecessarily locked after the young lout comes home.

I have to drop the topic ─ I am growing incensed writing of it.


I believe that it was only a day or two ago that I included some articles detailing how America's seniors are being medicated to death ─ and there is usually no true need for the prescriptions. Doctors are just becoming lazy and haphazard.

I want to include a couple of more reports about this travesty:



That second report ends by trying to be helpful:
The list of meds that can affect your central nervous system is a long one — and it includes pills, liquids, skin patches and even suppositories. And given the haphazard way they’re being handed out, it’s urgent that you find out if you’re now taking any of them. 
Because if you are, you need to ask your doctor why they’ve been prescribed — and, most importantly, how you can best get off of them.
But it's wasted advice. Anyone who is so dense as to take a prescription without knowing what the blazes it's being prescribed for is ─ in my opinion ─ a lost cause.


How often do you eat apples? I have to admit that I don't eat them regularly.

You might enjoy this article about the value of apples in our diets:


I was most impressed by the second reason that deals with apples' regulation of blood sugar. Supposedly, the phytonutrients (or phytochemicals) inhibit enzymes involved in the breakdown of complex carbohydrates into simple sugars; stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin; and decrease the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream.

I had no idea about any of that.


It ought not to come as a surprise to you that studies done involving new medications are performed by the Pharmaceutical Industry. They are in control of it all, and submit their results to the government agencies that approve these new drugs.

Do you think that these big companies ever hold back any of the negative information?

Even after a new medication gets approved, the drug is monitored (postmarketing surveillance) ─ again, by the Pharmaceutical Industry. It is up to them to report any problems that may have cropped up.

Well, a study on this process has been undertaken in Germany, and the results have been published. Here are some reports about it:




Anytime you may hear glowing praise and tribute concerning the performance of a new medication in a trial, just remember who is in total charge of that trial ─ the corporation who is going to get rich marketing it.


I heard Tho head out the front door late this afternoon. Perhaps he went off to hook up with his girlfriend, and will be spending the night at her home.

Very soon after he disappeared, his younger brother Poté showed up from work with his girlfriend again, so she'll no doubt be spending the night.

I would not at all mind if the kid decided to spring for a couple of pizzas, but I am prepared to have as my supper more of the peanut butter-based fare that I described earlier in this post.

The bigger question in my mind is whether I will be limiting myself to just one can of beer this evening as I have done for the past 10 or more days, or if I will splurge and have two cans?

Whatever the case, I want to close now with some further photos taken when my wife Jack charged up the airfare to fly back to Thailand last Fall and visit her mother after not seeing her for well over 3½ years.

Jack's family home is in the large village of Nong Soong, which is about a 15-minute drive from Udon Thani.

I expect that all of the photos that follow were probably taken in the Nong Soong area, and on November 5, 2016.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what is taking place:

The boy in the rear holding the upright red rod is my wife Jack's nephew Daniel:

This is Daniel again, with his mother Penn ─ she is Jack's second-oldest sister:

And that is it for today ─ I feel like a bit of a rest before getting into some evening T.V., my supper, and that beer.

Hmmm...Tho is back home.
Post a Comment