.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Tuesday, March 21, 2017

An Explanation of the Normal Thirst Mechanism │ Fainting is Commonplace? │ Gum Disease and Elevated Stroke Risk

I was comfortably to bed last evening well before 11:00 p.m. There was the usual bathroom and water-drinking break overnight at my first halt in sleep. And it was 6:02 a.m. this morning when I checked the time and decided that I should rise for the day ─ I had a couple of things I wanted to accomplish.

As I was downstairs making my morning's hot mug of an instant coffee / cocoa powder blend, I could hear the cellphone alarms occasionally sounding off from my youngest step-son Poté's bed where he and his girlfriend were asleep.

They are the sort of people who need several alarm promptings before they finally get up ─ in my view, I think the 'snooze' feature is both ridiculous, and an outright atrocity. Either bloody set the alarm for when you exactly wish to rise for the day; or go to bed earlier if you are so weak-minded that you cannot discipline yourself to get up when you should.

Disrupting one's sleep with an initial alarm when it is not the time to rise, just in order to alert yourself to the subsequent alarm or two that will then become more urgent, is actually health-damaging.

Anyway, I was back upstairs before they did get up; and by 6:30 a.m., they had gone ─ both have to start work early. And I was home alone.

I failed to get as speedy a start at the post I wanted to finally complete at my Lawless Spirit website. I always check the E-mails that have accumulated since my last check before going to bed; and too often, I become embroiled with something relating to at least one of them.

Due to the late start at that post, I had to break off early in order to start readying myself for the 1¼-mile-or-so hike to get Safe-On-Foods in Whalley to do some grocery shopping. It had been raining when I first rose this morning, but when I set off on my hike at 9:55 a.m., I was to find that the rain had recently ceased.

I was also going to cash in a lottery scratch ticket worth $2. I would be doing this at one of the lottery kiosks in Surrey Place (Central City).

My usual route to get to my destinations involves cutting through A.H.P. Matthew Park in order to reach the start of a series of enclosed walkways that allow some refuge from the city streets. But I described all of that in a couple of photos that I took and have since uploaded to a Google album, so I will post the photos and their descriptions here now and spare myself further typing.

I took this selfie at 10:07 a.m. March 21, 2017, as I was walking to take care of a couple of errands.

The wound on my left cheek is the healing results of a blocked parotid duct that first showed symptoms back on January 31 / February 1.

In just a few days, the swelling resembled a boiled egg; within 10 days, it was the size of a very large orange or small grapefruit.

By February 9 the pain was so severe that I was forced to take Advil. The next day, I finally sought medical attention.

An abscess had formed.

For at least three weeks from that day, I was on antibiotics ─ three kinds in all. I also had medical appointments every day, for all but the final week of antibiotics were intravenous.

I had even undergone two CT-Scans, but I balked at submitting to a third.

The tissue below the wound itself is more inflamed than appears here; the area is still a little swollen, and quite hardened.

I only noticed yesterday that directly below the wound, an area of my beard growth is smooth ─ I hope that it is a temporary feature, and that the follicles are not permanently barren and dead. I want no bare patch there.

I always don a hood whenever I am entering a place of business because this affected area of my face is still attention-getting, but at least I have found the nerve to be outdoors in general without covering up.
I took this photo at 10:08 a.m. March 21, 2017, as I was walking to take care of a couple of errands here in the Whalley area of Surrey, B.C..

This enclosed walkway is a rather welcome break from the sidewalks along busy public roads.

Its access point for me was there in the distance where one can almost see A.H.P Matthew Elementary School; and A.H.P. Matthew Park is immediately to the right.

I had cut through the park to get to where I took the photo.

Turning about, one can work one's way all the way to 100th Avenue, just above where it undergoes a curve at Holland Park and becomes 134th Street.
Anyway, I performed both of my errands as planned, donning my hood before entering Surrey Place (Central City), and keeping it on as I continued on to do my grocery shopping at Save-On-Foods. I only removed it after I had started my return for home, first passing again through Surrey Place (Central City) ─ I removed the hood after gaining Holland Park.

There was nothing else about the outing worth mention.

After getting back home, I stayed with the post I had been working on, refusing to postpone its completion until tomorrow: Holistic Study of Geography II.

I put many hours of work into that post, but how many people will care enough about the topic to actually find and browse its numerous references?

Such is my wasted life as a blogger.

The day's outing has cost me my exercise sessions. After I had a good meal, and then sought some bed-rest around 2:30 p.m. for an hour or so, I still felt too logy to be involved in strenuous activity.

And so I have gotten to work at this post, and will remain with it until done. Tomorrow will be catch-up day where the exercise is concerned. A break does no harm, especially since it is due to the beneficial activity of walking.

By the way, I see in my selfie that the temple (or earpiece) of the Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear that I usually wear while spending my hours at my computer ─ the glasses supposedly block eye-damaging blue rays ─ have left an imprint across my temple and above my ear. I didn't realize that the impression was so long-lasting.

Before I leave this section detailing my day, I want to add the contents of an E-mail that I sent out last night to the folks on my mailing list:
Have you ever heard of an American singer named Eva Cassidy?

Probably not.

She died on November 2, 1996 ─ at the age of 33 ─ of cancer. She didn't live long enough to score any kind of record deal, despite lots of interest.

This is a camcorder recording that a friend of hers took of her performing at the Blues Alley jazz supper club in Georgetown, DC, on the 3rd of January, 1996:

She never made it big...at least, not until two years after her death. A couple of guys responsible for playing music at BBC Radio 2 in England got hold of that recording. They started playing her songs, and she quickly became a sensation in the U.K., with albums of her music becoming top sellers.
If you would like to know a little more about Eva, a documentary of sorts on her was produced in May 2001 and broadcast by ABC's Nightline:
Someone has set up a YouTube channel under her name, if you're further interested: Eva Cassidy.

The following article is very instructive, giving a great explanation of the natural thirst mechanism, and evolving into a decent lecture on why soda or pop ─ and sports beverages and energy drinks ─ are much more damaging than the general population realize:


Apart from beer and other booze in general ─ and of course, water ─ the only beverage I still drink are my two daily hot mugs of blended instant coffee / cocoa powder.

If I lived in a rural environment where I had access to wholesome raw milk from exclusively pastured dairy cows, I would drink lots of that!


I had no idea that syncope (fainting) without any evident serious underlying cause is actually fairly common.

I can only think of one former female co-worker who once had an episode that may have been a reaction to some extra-fatty confection she indulged in to excess. And there was a chap subject to epileptic seizures.

But other than that, the only 'fainting' I am acquainted with has been attributable to excessive drinking and recreational drugs.

However, apparently it is supposed to be common ─ these two reports explain:



I don't know about you, but if I was subject to occasional fainting ─ or if a loved one of mine was so prone ─ I would have considerable concern as to why.


Just within the past few days, I included some information detailing how a study has uncovered that gum disease ─ and not even truly obvious gum disease ─ is behind an increased risk of strokes.

I have the main reference that spoke of the study ─ it was Consumer.HealthDay.com: More Evidence Ties Gum Health to Stroke Risk.

However, I want to add this further excellent discussion of the gum disease issue highlighting the stroke and several other pathological conditions that are tied to poor dental health:



I seem to be falling somewhat behind with this post, so I am going to wind it up now with this entry from my journal of 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. I was renting my small space in a house located on Ninth Street, and one or two houses up from Third Avenue.
SUNDAY, March 21, 1976

I had difficulty falling asleep last night.

I got up at 6:30 a.m..

I've still got a bad cough.

The day held some boring moments, which were passed hibernating, or enjoying pornography, among other time-consumers.

During TV, about 5:30 p.m., Bill came for me. Mark & Cathy had their Vega destroyed in an accident in Whalley, and we were going to visit them and all go to the States.

We took my '50s' tapes; Wendy babysat, and we four hit the Flame Tavern or something in Bellingham after buying some beer in Blaine. The evening was OK.

Mark's knee is so damaged he can barely walk.

I blew $9 of my fling-for-fitness-during-April money (I'm going to blow every dollar in April on a protein diet and lose my flab and increase my musculature; may I win a lottery!).

I'll be abed about 2:45 a.m.
My old friend William Alan Gill only lived four or so blocks from me ─ he was renting a bachelor suite. He also had a telephone, so he usually knew what was going on with my younger brother Mark and Mark's girlfriend Catherine Jeanette Gunther before I learned of it.

Also, he had a car and frequently visited them where they were sharing a rented home together on Bentley Road in Whalley. . 

Obviously we were all going to be riding in Bill's car ─ Jeanette or Mark would drive, for Bill was directionless, and a rather inattentive driver.

Jeanette had two beautiful little girls, but it seems that my young maternal cousin Wendy Halverson was hanging about and prepared to do babysitting duty. Wendy was almost a fixture there ─ probably because she wanted to get a break from her own very large household. 

I don't know if it was the same Flame Tavern, but a bit of research finds that one with such a name was likely demolished in 2001 ─ this is from HighBeam.com: Flame Tavern owners, city set for July 16 trial.(Bellingham, Washington city council sets condemnation trial date)(Brief Article)

However, after all of these years, I recall nothing of that day, let alone the darned tavern.

I am quite sure that I have uploaded some scans of photos that Mark took of his smashed-up Vega back then, but I have no time to search for them now.
Post a Comment