.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Friday, March 31, 2017

Arctic Apples │ Why Finish Your Antibiotic Prescription if You Feel Healthy Again? │ Blood Thinners and Subdural Hematoma Risk

It was not a great night's sleep overnight.

I made it to bed at 10:43 p.m. last evening, and donned earplugs because my youngest step-son Poté was not yet home. For all I knew, he would be returning with his noisy girlfriend.

Then came a point in the night when I became aware that the bedroom was flooded with light; and as I processed this unexpected fact, I soon recognized that my wife Jack must have shown up from Vancouver.

When I took a peek at the time, I saw that it was 1:18 a.m. So I feigned myself at peace, and when the opportunity was presented, I took my blindfold from just beneath the bed and applied it over my eyes. Then I tried to make myself as comfortable as possible and perhaps fall asleep again.

My awareness lapsed, but was roused anew when I sensed Jack readying for bed. And when the light was out, I took another peek at the time ─ it was something like 2:20 a.m.

I did my best to relax into sleep, but it was not particularly easy. What remained of my night was comprised of broken periods of sleep.

When next I checked the time and saw that it was 6:09 a.m., I decided to rise as surreptitiously as possible and get a start to my day.

I found the kitchen light on downstairs, but no one was present. Poté's car was gone ─ but did he even come home last night? He might have slept at his girlfriend's home.

His older brother Tho was still in bed, having taken the week off work. I was to later learn from his mother that he is now receiving vacation leave credits, so his time off is probably being paid ─ I did not realize that he had this status.

The kitchen had been well used since I last saw it last evening ─ Jack must have spent quite some time in it before going to bed last night. Heck, maybe she even got home soon after I had gone to bed, and had spent the next couple or so hours busying herself cooking and such.

Anyway, I made myself my usual mug of a hot blend of instant coffee / cocoa powder, and then I busied myself setting up a new post at my Thai-Iceland website that I will probably be working upon for at least the next eight days.

I rather anticipated that Jack might remain in bed until into the noon-hour, but she actually rose around 10:00 a.m. However, she looked tired. I am sure that I did, too.

It wasn't an unpleasant day once I resigned myself that I was not to be having any exercise. But all was not lost ─ I busied myself ironing out the drafts of the income tax returns for Jack and I, finally concluding which combination of credit claims would yield the most in a combined refund total for us.

As I described yesterday, I wrestled with which of the two of us should be claiming our medical deductions and the charitable donations ─ should all go to just one of us? Or should one of us have the claim for the medical expenses, and the other get the charitable donations to claim? If the latter, then who should get which?

So I had to figure out what the refunds would be in every scenario for each of us, and then total them up accordingly, finally gaining a sense of how the two sets of credits should get reported.

Unless I did a superb job of getting myself confused with all of the figures and calculations, it appears that the refunds combined are most advantageous if Jack takes the medical expenses, and I take the charitable donations.

When I next feel up to it, I will fill out a finalized tax return for each of us.

While I was involved with all of that, Jack was again cooking, and also doing considerable housecleaning. And perhaps around 3:30 p.m., she left to return to Vancouver, saying that she would be back on Monday.

She never did see Poté ─ unless he did come home last night, but left exceptionally early this morning to go to work.

The day has been overcast, but dry and with no threat of rain.


I haven't noticed any genetically modified Arctic Apples on sale hereabouts, but I have no intention of ever tasting one even if it is offered to me for free.

There is just too much of this meddling going on. Don't we already have enough perfectly wholesome varieties of apples anyway? Who cares if the flesh inside starts looking somewhat rusty once the apple has been cut open?

The following is from NewMarketHealth.com:
Remember the Franken-apple?

Well, it's finally arrived, and may be coming soon to a supermarket near you! The biotech firm that created it used a high-tech laboratory procedure called RNA interference... all just to prevent the perfectly normal browning that happens after you've sliced them.

That sounds like a whole lot of technology to do the same thing a squirt of lemon juice can!

The "Arctic Apple," as it's known, is now reportedly about to hit the shelves in a number of stores, starting with the Midwest.

But don't expect to see these apples labeled as GMOs. Due to the passage of the modified "Dark Act" that we told you about last year, there's no obligation to put that information on the actual label or package.

The problem with being left "in the dark" about these edible science experiments is that we also don't know how eating these apples might affect us long-term.

And that's especially where kids -- the biggest apple-eaters around -- are concerned.

Your best bet is to avoid these Franken-apples altogether. Just look for the Arctic Apple name and logo, which is an apple outline with a snowflake in the middle.

The Canadian company that's producing it, Okanagan, believes that you'll be so "eager to track down" the non-browning Arctic brand that you'll sign up to receive email alerts as to which supermarkets will be stocking them.

But if you do sign up, it won't be so you can buy these laboratory concoctions by the bushel -- it'll be so you know where to avoid them!

I spent longer than I wanted to do trying to locate the source for the figures in the following report on a recent study:


The problem I ran into ─ but did not at first recognize ─ was that there was another study announced around the same time that dealt with much the same sort of diet.

These two reports tend to back up the figures quoted in the above report:



I certainly do not have the impression that the "new diet advice" got everything wrong! Sure, some of it is probably askew.  For instance, I agree that salt pales in any significance when stacked up against trans fats ─ that stuff should not even legally be allowed in our diets. 

But I think that there are many other health topics that far more warrant the sort of negative excitement that the introductory report I listed gave an ample display of.


Not too long ago, I included information on a study that sought to bring a re-examination to that medical maxim that stresses how prescribed antibiotics absolutely must be taken by a patient until the very last pill in the prescription has been used up ─ even if the patient felt that he or she was back into perfect health.

Here's another report on that study, and which echoes loudly that that old mainstream medical advice is now well outdated:


We've been given the scare talk for so long that we are risking a potentially deadly relapse if we do not follow orders and exhaust the prescription, that I think most of us would be far too timid to undertake a stoppage of the prescription on our own.

It is going to be interesting to see if this new trend takes hold and becomes dogma, replacing and retiring that old mantra.


The opening paragraphs in this next report sent me on a search for more information ─ I had not before heard of any serious overpopulation of "feral pigs" essentially running amok in Texas:


If the wild pigs story is news to you too, and you're interested in finding out more, then here you go:


But the study on blood thinners and the risk of subdural hematomas is what I intended to bring forth, for the culprits even include "low-dose aspirin":


This should be ample proof enough of why healthy people have no business taking a daily aspirin "just in case."

And to think that back in my younger years, I would take aspirin before I went to bed after a heavy drinking session just to get a jump on the hangover, and maybe reduce its effects!


I must rush, so here to close is a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. I was renting my small space in a house located on Ninth Street, and about two houses up from Third Avenue.

I had been planning on hiking out this day to visit my mother Irene Dorosh in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey ─ from my room, a hike of about 1½ hours of fast walking. 
WEDNESDAY, March 31, 1976

I got up at 5:30 a.m.

Damn! I strongly intended to go to mom's, but finally had to forsake the scheme due to some unsightly eruptions. After all, Georgie just may be there, and/or Dianne. And who knows how many other visitors throughout the day? Blast! I feel so unsightly I'm not even going to launder.

After so concluding, I lied down and got a bit more sleep; my eyes could have used still further.

I saw Lynda Carter on Dinah Shore's show, who plays Wonder Woman in a new series I can't get; she's really a cute girl (a Miss USA), so I must place her alongside Lindsay Wagner as a new dream girl.

I'm going to sleep quickly tonight.

I made 300 leg raises this morning.

For my complexion's sake tomorrow, I never intended to eat anything aggravating ─ but I went heavy on rye flour, peanut butter, and honey.

The cabbage and carrots I boiled and ate this late afternoon are causing my stomach to cramp. For awhile it was so painful I was rocking in agony.

I'm retiring about 8:20 p.m.

Well, I failed to sleep soon enough due to the digestive disturbance, and thereafter couldn't sleep. So I watched Bronk, 10:30 p.m.
My maternal Aunt Georgina Halverson and her eldest daughter Dianne were to have come out for a visit from Calgary. Another sister ─ Nell Halverson ─ was also living in Surrey, so I could only speculate as to how Georgie and Dianne would be getting shared out.

I had such poor self-confidence anytime my complexion acted up. It was socially crippling. As I said in that entry, I was not even going to the laundromat to do my laundry ─ I could not bear being public.

I certainly had my petty tribulations.
Post a Comment