.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Friday, March 10, 2017

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Via the Internet │ More on Aricept and Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) │ Beware Medical Treatments That Are Ineffective And/Or Dangerous

I am not full certain, but I think that I may have made it to bed ere quite 11:00 p.m. lst evening. And although for the first time that afternoon and evening, I was not wearing a cover over my left cheek's wound (yet no one here seemed to notice).

However, just in case the wound somehow opened up and started weeping clear fluid again overnight, I covered it with a small absorbent pad.

For any who do not know, I am healing from an abscess that had formed within an enormous swelling on my left cheek ─ all the result of a blocked parotid duct whose symptoms began to display around January 31/February 1.

I still seem to be sweating enough at night to get my bedding clammy, but I do not know if it is because I am naturally overheating, or if somehow I become feverish as my body deals with the bit of infection that may still be within the healed-over infection cavity.

Today I had a 10:00 a.m. appointment with my ENT specialist Dr. Mark Miller. His office is roughly five blocks from where I live. Specifically, he is at #200 - 9636 King George Boulevard here in Whalley.

I find myself waking especially early of late. If I lived alone, I would probably just get up and start my day. But I held the course, and remained in bed until I saw the time to be 6:14 a.m.

Of course my younger brother Mark had gone to work; and so had my eldest step-son Tho. But youngest step-son Poté was still in bed with his girlfriend. Nevertheless, I went downstairs to make my morning's hot instant coffee/cocoa powder blend, and I also turned on the living room stereo.

Poté and his girlfriend probably roused around 7:00 a.m., and the twain wasted little time in vacating the house ─ both had to go to work this morning. And so I was happily alone.

I put more work into the edit of an old post I almost have finished at my Siam-Longings website. If not for needing to break off to ready for that appointment, I would have finished and published the edit.

I wanted to be able to walk to the appointment at a leisurely pace, but I screwed that up by delaying until about 9:45 a.m. before setting off.

At least there are scant amounts of snow remaining ─ it only exists in shaded areas, and also where it has been massed into piles.

I wore no bandage over my wound, but I did wear a hood. And I arrived for my appointment with only about two minutes to spare.

There were more people in the waiting area to see Dr. Miller or his partner than I have ever before seen. However, I was called forth rather smartly.

Dr. Miller was quite impressed with the scope of the healing that has taken place. In fact, he said that he didn't need to see me again, unless I had any sort of relapse. He also agreed that there was no reason for me to keep the tentative Sunday appointment I had scheduled with the Gateway Home Health Ambulatory Clinic.

With that assurance, I would later call them and cancel the appointment.

I very much like Dr. Miller. Still, it was rather unexpected that he wanted to used a lighted scope to check out as far up either side of my beak as I was able to tolerate. Perhaps if I had some familiarity with what was going on, I mightn't have kept reclining my head farther and father backward as he attempted to penetrate my nasal passageways with that unfriendly lighted scope.

I have not before experienced this procedure, but I suppose that the device was a nasal endoscope.

For all I knew, he was going to insert it all the way back to my throat. But if his intention was even just to reach the remotest sinus cavity, it was more than I could passively endure. I couldn't imagine even submitting to have the nearest sinus cavity invaded with the thing.

I expect that the extent of my involuntary recoiling probably curbed his curiosity. Anyway, I was not there for that sort of examination.

And so ─ barring any sort of recurrence of swelling or of a reinfection ─ I am officially all finished with medical appointments! Since February 10 when this all started ─ the appointments, I mean ─ I believe that there have been 22 days in which at least one was scheduled.

I don't know what the B.C. Medical Plan is going to think of all of this, for I even had two CT scans!

The worst thing about this whole experience has been that there was nothing that I could have ever done to have avoided the original blockage of that salivary gland. No matter how healthily I might live, something like this just happens to some people ─ just as do things like appendicitis attacks.

I also underwent one of those back in February 1976. I delayed until the appendix ruptured. The medical mop-up job was so serious that I was not released from hospital until my twelfth day there.

I did not come directly home after leaving Dr. Miller's office. First I went on to Save-On-Foods (10312 King George Boulevard) for a number of items; and then I went to Surrey Place (Central City) to pick up four income tax returns (and envelopes) from Pearl Photo / Canada Post.

I know that I will be filling out tax returns for my wife Jack and I, as well as her youngest son Poté. I am just speculating or assuming that I will also be filling one out for her eldest son Tho, even though he has not said anything to me about doing so (unlike Poté, who has already given me his T4s).

After I left Surrey Place (Central City), as soon as I had crossed Old Yale Road into Holland Park, I took down my hood and walked the remainder of the journey ─ about a mile ─ without any cover of my cheek's wound.

It was fairly sunny and warm by then ─ I was feeling a little overheated under the hood. But I also wanted the wound exposed to the Sun and fresh air.

I was back home about 11:30 a.m.

It is so darned good knowing that my days are now all mine once more ─ no further medical appointments disrupting any of them!

Before I move on to other topics, here are a few more photos taken last Fall after my wife Jack had charged the fare to go back to Thailand to visit her mother after well over 3½ years.

The family home is in the very large village of Nong Soong, which is maybe a 15-minute drive from Udon Thani.

These photos were taken on November 6 or 7, 2016, I suspect.

We lead off with three photos of a cistern of water containing some aquatic plants and tiny goldfish, as well as some water snails:

My wife Jack is seated at the table in the next photos, while the woman Jack has always referred to as her "sister-cousin" is standing behind her:

Did a bee or something show up to disrupt things in this final photo?


Americans got conned into a phony GMO-labeling scheme that's next door to useless, but it may not be too late for those of us in Canada to voice without equivocation that we want our foods clearly labeled as containing anything GMO ─ if those foods indeed do contain anything GMO.

Check out this map at CenterForFoodSafety.org ─ it displays a color-coded map of the world that indicates which countries have mandatory labeling laws, and which have none: Genetically Engineered Food Labeling Laws.

Can you believe that North America is the largest area in the entire world with no genetically engineered food labeling laws?!

What the hell is wrong with us? Are we too stupid, or are we just too weak as citizens to get our officials in government to quit fornicating with the likes of Monsanto and the Food Manufacturing Industry, and do their jobs to serve us instead?

I only received this four days ago from CBAN.ca:

Label GM Foods!
Yes to Bill C-291 
It’s time, Canada! Private Members Bill C-291 to establish mandatory labelling of genetically modified (GM) foods will be debated in Parliament next week!  Send an instant letter to your Member of Parliament from CBAN's website today!
The first hour of debate on Bill C-291 is scheduled for March 10 in the House of Commons. A second debate with a vote on the bill will be held a few weeks later. Send your letter to support the bill today, and check out CBAN’s Action Kit for tools to take more action.
I added my name that day, but unfortunately I never thought to post this to my blog until today ─ it is already March 10.

But if there is still to be another debate and the vote in a few weeks, perhaps it is not too late to get your MP to act in accordance with your wishes ─ if you happen to want this sort of food labeling.


I cannot really see myself undergoing psychotherapy, but I can certainly see the value in it for people able to open up and talk about their problems.

I had a female co-worker who just couldn't stop sharing all manner of home-life issues involving her kids and husband ─ she would consume an hour of my time practically every morning that she arrived at work!

Of course, few people can actually afford to see a shrink for any length of time.

There may be a solution for that, however: Internet-based (or Internet-delivered) Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or iCBT.

These two reports concern a recent study about iCBT's effectiveness:



That first report said five of the 13 studies that were involved were based upon the iCBT programme offered at deprexis.com, but I cannot tell you if it is free or not.

A month before the above two reports, there was another related one published by CTVnews.caiCBT offers patients new way to cope with negative thoughts.

It seems obvious to me that the effectiveness of these types of programmes will hinge upon the seriousness of anyone seeking to use them.

But if any are free, then what is there to lose in giving it a try?


In yesterday's post, I included some information that decried the use of Aricept (donepezil) to treat mild cognitive impairment (MCI).

One reference to the study that bore this out was at ScienceDaily.comAlzheimer's drug prescribed off-label could pose risk for some.

The report indicated that for people with a genetic variation known as the butyrylcholinesterase K variant (BChE-K), they can actually suffer an accelerated cognitive decline if Aricept is administered.

Well, what I did not realize ─ if the following report is indeed being accurate ─ is just how common that specific gene variant is:


That website is prone to hyperbolic language, so I honestly do not know if the gene variant really is that common...but maybe it is. Far better to practice caution than disregard the possibility.

Steer clear of Aricept.


This next item concerns medical procedures ─ be wary. If it is not an immediate emergency, get a second and even a third medical opinion.



It truly is dreadful to consider, but some specialist physicians really do see people as little more than sources of a darned good income for themselves.

And "old habits die hard."


I now close out with a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the place in a house located on Ninth Street, and one or two houses up from Third Avenue.
WEDNESDAY, March 10, 1976

Sleeping on the floor didn't make my term any sounder; I rose at 7:00 a.m.

At 8:00 a.m., just as I was stimulated for elimination, the furnace man came; I was forced to restrain my urge till after 9:30 a.m.

I paid Bill's due, and returned to 8th just in time to miss my bus; so I opted to walk downhill, ending up on Columbia. I went to Prince's Health Food and bought $6.80 worth of legumes.

I finally caught the 25¢ Fastbus to mom's.

She was gone; a note for me said she'd come into town to see me.

I ate more calories than was sensible awaiting her promised return.

She had my mail with her: April's Good News, an offer for the Natural Health Bulletin, a Church of God letter, a F.&S.F. Book Co catalog, and a letter from Jean obviously written before having received my last.

Cathy phoned and told mom she would come over.

She stayed till c. 3:00 p.m., leaving with an offer to me to accompany her. However, mom said she'd take me home on her way to work.

Phyllis dropped in a very short while.

Mom dished me out a mostly-unwanted supper (calories!), then Alex came home.

Kay showed up quite soon after, and I was then homeward bound, mom driving Alex' car.

I was driven directly home. Mom slipped me some of Kay's home made cottage cheese. I was also given some Vita-E Ointment for smearing on my incision.

Oh yes, mom phoned about my appointment with Dr. Nielson Friday; it's been arranged for 3:15 p.m.

I've completed most of a letter to Jean this evening.

I rather expected Bill to come for me tonight, but he didn't.

I wrote too soon; he did come after 8:00 p.m. for 40 minutes or so.

I'll be in bed about 9:00 p.m.
My bed was so "sinky" that I was trying out sleeping with my mattress directly on the floor, but it apparently didn't help me sleep any better.

The day before, my landlady had confessed that the furnace was malfunctioning, and repairs were in order ─ my room was dreadfully cold, and had been for weeks.

Unfortunately, my toilet and shower were in a cubicle outside of my room, and in the basement proper. Just as I was feeling the need to evacuate my bowels, the darned furnace guy had to show up. With him and my landlady fussing about in the basement proper, I was not about to go and relieve myself with the both of them privy to the deed.

My old friend William Alan Gill ─ who rented a bachelor suite maybe four or so blocks from my room ─ had imposed upon me the evening before to pay his Chargex bill on his behalf at a Royal Bank somewhere in the area of Sixth Street & Sixth Avenue.      

I must have wanted to catch a bus from there to take me out to Surrey to visit my mother Irene Dorosh, but I managed to just miss the darned thing. I think the buses ran every half-hour.

So I hiked downhill to Columbia Street.

Normally I would have walked to my mother's home, but I had just recently been released from the hospital due to an emergency appendectomy. I wasn't up to the 1½-hour hike to get to her home.

After finally getting a bus that took me to the Kennedy Heights area where she and her husband Alex lived, she wasn't home. However, I am a little puzzled why she would have left me a note stating that she had gone to visit me in town.

If she knew I was coming there, why try and visit me in New Westminster?

Anyway, amongst the mail she had for me was a letter from Jean M. Martin (née Black), an American pen-pal I used to have back then.

"Cathy" was my younger brother Mark's girlfriend, Catherine Jeanette Gunther. Mark and Jeanette were living in a home they were renting on Bentley Road in Whalley.

I think my mother and her friend Kay Kris or Krys were both working an office janitorial contract at Scott Paper (now Kruger Inc.) in New Westminster, so driving me home was no real problem.

But prior to leaving for New Westminster, my older maternal half-sister Phyllis had dropped by to see our mother.

Dr. Nielson or Nielsen was the surgeon who had to do the mop-up work on my busted appendix. I remember that he said that the stink from the infected rupture was quite pronounced.

And here we are 41 years later, and I am still being betrayed by my body!
Post a Comment