.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Gastric Balloons for Weight Loss │ What's Wrong with Taking a Multivitamin? │ Tamoxifen for "Obesity-Related Metabolic Disorders"? Forget It!

My younger brother Mark managed to retain his senses after arriving home from the bar last evening, and so retired upstairs to his bedroom at what is for him a reasonable time, considering that he tends to rise at 4:20 a.m. to ready for work.

Once again I got involved in my E-mails, and was not in bed until 10:58 p.m. I was to have a most fractured night of sleep.

I never rose to use the bathroom during any of my wakeful periods, but that was because I did not need to. I was suffering dehydration due to a salty supper. All I required during the night were swallows from the mug of water I had beside my bed.

No doubt, that dehydration contributed to my poor night's sleep.

It was 6:41 a.m. when I checked the time this morning and decided to rise for the day, even though I felt at least as poorly as I did yesterday morning. I actually thought that I was in worse shape.

Only my youngest stepson Poté was still home and in bed; it turned out that he must have had today off work.

I got busy adding more content into the Siam-Longings post I am working on. But unlike yesterday, it was not within me to break from it and undertake exercise in the backyard tool shed. I even wondered if I might have to surrender the project, for the day was another sunny one, and the shed does warm up dramatically in the afternoon.

Once I had added the post content that I had in mind for today, I was still in no shape for that shed workout ─ but that is usual, for sitting at this computer takes a bad toll upon my eyes and well-being.

Only some bed-rest was going to deliver to me the recovery I required, whether or not I would actually nap. And so at 10:47 a.m., I was undressed and back in bed, doing my best to sink into a relaxed state.

I don't believe that I napped, but I did manage to derive some recovery.

And after putting on a pair of gym-style shorts, off to that shed I went.

Yesterday I stated how ─ even though I had felt unwell in the morning ─ I had managed to perform one more repetition than I have managed to do this entire years of 2017 in the total I accomplished after completing five sets of pull-ups.

That old 'record' had actually become my targeted norm, so really all that the claim meant was that I just did one more pull-up than the number I have been doing out there of late anyway.

However, with my recent norm now surpassed, I find myself in the predicament of being determined to make yesterday's 'record' my new norm. That's the problem with breaking out of a rut.

It was tough, but yes, I managed to match yesterday's performance. And of course I am going to be forcing myself to try and do so again the next time I exercise out there in the shed.

With the day being so sunny, I wanted to do some backyard sundeck sunning again, for the weather is expected to get damp towards the weekend. And so at either 11:36 a.m. or 11:38 a.m., I started a sunning session, finally calling it off at 12:45 p.m.

Then it was time to come into the house and prepare my day's first meal.

And that about catches me up at precisely 2:53 p.m.

So here is another old image I wish to post ─ the description beneath is from the Google album where I have it filed:

A scanned photo from my brother Mark's album circa 1975.

Unfortunately, it has been too many years now for me to have any certainty about this lass's identity.
I could here speculate that it may be the girlfriend ─ Angela was her name, I think ─ of Mark's best friend for so many of his early years, Garry Porteous.

But of course, it just may be a friend of Mark's girlfriend, Jeanette.


Just last evening on some T.V. news programme, I heard something about a new procedure to partially sew the human stomach shut for weight loss purposes ─ without any surgery required.

Well, obviously the sewing bit would be surgical. But the idea what that it would all be done via some long device snaked down someone's gullet and into the stomach, and the stitching would somehow go ahead through that.

Are people so unwilling to give up their carbohydrates that they will put themselves through this dangerous nonsense?

At any rate, here are a couple of reports on one of the other weight loss medical procedures ─ the inflatable balloon designed to be placed into the stomach:



As the second article pointed out most adeptly, and the first article also touched upon, people who take this on are still going to have to diet. First off, they cannot eat much at all while the balloon is in their stomachs.

And then once it is removed...well, as one observer stated in that first report:
“...Sadly, the weight lost through this balloon will undoubtedly be put back on soon after the balloon is removed.”
Of course! If the recipient of the procedure could not adhere to a low-carbohydrate diet in the first place before the balloon implant, then he or she will not change habits after the balloon is gone.

It's naught but expensive lunacy.


A few decades back I gave up wasting my money on multiple vitamin / mineral capsules or pills. The closest I come anymore to taking a multivitamin would be a vitamin E complex, or else a vitamin B complex.

But those two complexes or just part of my supplement arsenal.

For anyone who doesn't realize what is wrong with taking a multivitamin, this is a very good start at explaining why they are almost useless:


My original reason for stopping buying and taking multi-vitamin / mineral tablets or capsules was because the components were all synthetic, and they included minerals that I did NOT want to be taking.

I also recognized that many of the potencies of the vitamins were ridiculously low.


I already within the past few days posted about this very dangerous breast cancer treatment medication called tamoxifen that some are hoping can get promoted for weight loss purposes, but I will do so again to include the following report about it:


I had also included this reference from ScienceDaily.com reporting on the research that was done on tamoxifen for those weight loss purposes: Tamoxifen protects against obesity-related metabolic disorders.

Yes indeed, whyever bother cutting out those carbohydrates, right? Just put your faith in the Pharmaceutical Industry, and how can you possibly go wrong?


Now here to close out today's post is a journal entry from 41 years ago when I was 26 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster. That small 'suite' was being rented in a house located on Ninth Street, and maybe two houses up from Third Avenue.

It was almost 4:00 a.m. before I had made it to bed.

I was supposed to have a pot roast supper this day at the rented bachelor suite of my old friend William Alan Gill ─ his mother Anne Gregory would be preparing it, but I had donated the vegetables that were being included with the meal. 

Bill didn't live much farther than about four blocks from my room.
SUNDAY, June 6, 1976

Up by 10:00 a.m.

A couple hours later I was ill enough, and tired, to enjoy lying down again, catching a bit more sleep; I arose dazed from my respiratory infection.

I walked over to Bill's; his mother was there cooking, but he'd gone to play ball with the Halversons & everyone. 

I was there 2½ hours without him, and indeed began eating first.

My infection has been affecting my head badly.

I was hoping to leave at 9:00 p.m. for home afoot, but Bill wouldn't take his mother home without me. Thus, it was 10:15 p.m. afore I got to bed.

I'll have to go over tomorrow night and, using Bill's phone, learn if I am to work at Haulaway. I hope not.
Bill's mother was renting her own suite over in Maillardville.   

The Halversons are my maternal relatives, and were living out in Surrey.

One of the Halversons ─ my cousin Randy ─ had lined me up during the past work week with his employer where he was a truck mechanic. Haulaway ─ or Haul-Away ─ had the contract to provide garbage collection services in Surrey, Delta, and who knows where else back then. 

It was only temporary work as a trash collector. A special couple weeks of Spring clean-up were about to start, and homeowners would be putting out practically anything that they wanted picked up and taken away, along with their usual trash.

I had a job already working at a New Westminster charitable organization, and had started a few weeks earlier. I was supposed to get training at furniture reupholstery, but it had yet to materialize, and I had essentially nothing to do all the bloody day long.

So when Randy phoned me about serving as a trash collector throughout the Spring clean-up, I agreed to let him put forth my name.

Then at the end of the past work week, I was informed at the charitable organization that I would be working as a swamper on their blue pick-up truck. I had worked at this role many times in the past for that organization, and had it been offered me at the beginning, I would never have consented to Randy's offer.

This rather put me into a bind. Also, someone else working for Haulaway ─ and whom I also knew ─ had already told me that I would just be working three days in the coming week, and not all five. The first day was to be Tuesday.  

So after I finished my Monday with the charitable organization, I planned on using Bill's phone (I had no telephone service at my room) to call Randy and see if I really was confirmed to work that week ─ and for just three days ─ or not.

I sure didn't want to hear anything affirmative.
Post a Comment