.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Dr. Shiv Chopra │ Researchers Declare Statins to Be Unnecessary ─ Strong Cholesterol Levels are Proper │ Eardrum Damage from Cotton Swabs Is Nearly Epidemic

Despite getting to bed sensibly last evening at 10:59 p.m. ─ and finding sleep in what was no unusual amount of time ─ after just a few hours I found myself so very awake that I checked the time in the hope that it was late enough into the morning that I could rise and start my day.

It was 3:21 a.m.

I decided to at least get up and kill some time here at my computer until my younger brother Mark had gotten up to ready for his workday.

I knew that I was not going to have time to commence work on the post I am constructing at Thai-Iceland, one of my six hosted websites. That was going to have to wait until I had properly begun my day.

I was to hear Mark's clock-radio just after 4:00 a.m. And when I could hear him stumbling about in his bedroom, I made the return to my own bed ─ it was 4:10 a.m.

The remainder of my night was dream-riddled and most broken where bouts of sleep were concerned. I usually wear earplugs, so I was almost wholly unaware of events outside of my bedroom.

When next I checked the time, it was 8:30 a.m. It was time to get at my day.

I quickly found that I was home alone ─ Mark and apparently both of my stepsons had all gone to work.

I held steady at the morning's assignment of content supply at Thai-Iceland; and when that was done, I went downstairs and turned on T.V. and did whatever else I could to limber up and prepare for my afternoon's exercising out in the backyard tool shed.

One of the chores I discharged was taking down the Christmas lights that had festooned a sort of archway just before the front door.

I left untouched the lights strung before the living room window, but they will soon enough also be packed away ─ maybe tomorrow.

Late last week I heard a radio announcer state that the Christmas tree in the British 'royal household' is kept up until February 2nd ─ I never researched to see if that's true, though.

I have said before in this blog that if I had the wherewithal to live anywhere I desired, then it would be extremely nice to live in some small community that cherished Christmas, its ornamentation, and its music as much as do I. 

I would have no problem retaining its trappings all the year through.

I did have that exercise break, probably heading on out to the tool shed around 1:30 p.m. The day had been overcast, and at that point the sky was doing what it could to try to rain.

Just prior to commencing today's blog post, I opened an E-mail that had arrived at 1:20 p.m. from the Canadian Biotechnology Action Network (CBAN).

Until I opened the message, I had not realized that Canadian truth crusader Dr. Shive Chopra had died 10 days ago at the age of 84.

This is the CBAN eulogy, if I may so term it:
In Memoriam: Dr. Shiv Chopra, Public Servant

“I was speaking out, but it was my duty to speak out.”Dr Shiv Chopra, Sept 2017

We mourn the death and celebrate the life and lasting contributions of Dr. Shiv Chopra, a strong and vibrant champion of science in the service of the public good. He has left behind a loving family and a legacy of committed, courageous campaigning for justice and accountability. Dr. Chopra was a dedicated public servant who shed light on how our food is regulated in Canada and the dangerous influence that corporate power can have on government decision-making, if public servants are not willing to speak up.

Dr. Shiv Chopra was a veterinary scientist with a Ph.D. in microbiology. He was a senior scientist at Health Canada (Canada’s food safety regulator) where he worked from 1969 until 2004. Dr. Chopra was one of three Health Canada veterinary scientists who spoke out in the 1990s about pressure to approve animal drugs despite their concerns about animal health and food safety. They questioned carbadox, a drug used in pigs, and Baytril, which was used to promote growth in cows and chickens. Most prominent were their concerns over Monsanto’s genetically engineered veterinary drug Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH). Their public criticisms of BGH were met with gag orders from their employers at Health Canada but finally led to Senate hearings and a 1999 decision not to approve the drug.

Dr. Chopra defied instructions from his employers not to speak publicly about his concerns, and about the pressure he was under at Health Canada. In 1998, Dr. Chopra and his colleague Dr. Margaret Haydon were interviewed on national television and asked why they thought they were under pressure to approve drugs quickly. Dr. Chopra replied, “Well, what do you think? Money. For multinational companies that produce those things."

Dr. Chopra and his colleagues Dr. Margaret Haydon and Dr. Gérard Lambert were eventually fired in 2004 for insubordination. Dr. Chopra challenged his dismissal in court and continued to fight in the courts for thirteen years, until the latest verdict in September 2017. He concluded, “If today I had won, I would get compensated for my loss of salary. But the issue of public food safety would still remain.”

These three scientists are perfect examples of public service professionals putting the interests of the public first, ahead of their own interests. They are leading the way in the protection of the public good and they are pioneers in whistleblowing,”  – Gary Corbett, former president of the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, 2011.

He continued to speak out on the wider issues of food and public health safety, including at the invitation of many communities in Canada and internationally, and he set up an organization called the Canadian Council on Food Safety & Health.
I was a federal public servant for many years, and there was much I did not like about the way things were run.

When I first started with an indeterminate tenure in September 1996, for some years our mandate in the Human Resources branch of the department that employed me was that our clients were the employees whose pay we oversaw, and whose retirements we helped to facilitate.

Then that mandate was to change. For whatever perverted purpose, our mandate was that our client had become whomever was heading the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat

That switch-over never sat at all well with me.

But I want to turn focus now toward a couple of health-related matters ─ the first probably involves corruption along with clear medical ignorance.

It is the shameful promotion of statins ─ almost no one needs to be taking them. 



The researchers taking this stand are themselves crusaders ─ I just hope that they don't break from their position.

Big Pharma and all of their paid medical professionals and political cronies are going to come hard against this, for there is an unimaginable amount of money at stake here.

The second item I want to bring attention to is cautionary, for you have likely heard the advice before that none of us should be inserting anything into our ears ─ that is not the purpose of cotton swabs.

Read about just how dangerous this practice is:





This publicity won't help, though. Most people are idiots where this sort of thing is concerned.

Well, I have less than an hour of afternoon left, so I am going to shut down now with this old journal entry of mine from 41 years ago when I was 27 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting in a private home located on Ninth Street, and just two houses up from Third Avenue.

Every day or two in recent weeks back then, I was hiking out to the duplex unit that my younger brother Mark was renting in Surrey

It seems to me now that the duplex was a reasonably short distance along Semiahmoo Road from where it abuts Old Yale Road.

Mark worked in a plywood or other mill, and had to drive through New Westminster to get to work. This meant that I could ride back to New Westminster with him.

In the current week, he had started a midnight shift, so I was getting back to my room quite late.
MONDAY, January 17, 1977

I have been sleeping much of late; I arose this morn at 8:30 a.m.

My unemployment insurance card is due today, so I've been biding my time here awaiting the imminence of my allotted 3:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. delivery period. After dropping it off, I'll head straight for Mark's.

Just after 2:00 p.m. the landlady had a visitor; from the sound of it, she is going to sell this place.

I acted as if not home when she knocked.

I'm leaving here about 3:51 p.m.
Apparently those U.I. claim cards had to be submitted in person during that narrow window in the afternoon. I was fearful that my claim was at its end, for the actual finish was never announced ahead of time to recipients ─ this was done intentionally so that recipients would not comfortably be able to predetermine when their claim would run out.

The rationale of course was to keep recipients involved in searching for work throughout their claim's life.

I am unsure why I avoided answering the landlady's knock. Certainly I was socially backward and even reclusive, so that may have been why; I would not wish social interaction with her unless it was required, as in paying my rent.

Might she have been bringing down her visitor to show him or her around ─ including my heavily cluttered suite?

I wouldn't have wanted anything to do with such a visitation. 
Post a Comment