.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Saturday, February 24, 2018

Olive Oil's Ability to Help the Brain Cleanse Itself of Accumulated Impurities

This snow is ludicrous.

I suppose conditions contributed to my younger brother Mark's overindulgence in drink when he was at the bar following work yesterday, for he was certainly ill company once he was home.

He passed out early into an episode of The Flash, and remained so for at least the first half of the episode of This Is Us that followed it.

I had every intention of just going to bed after that last show if he was still 'out.' But since he had revived, I opted to have a second can of strong (8% alcohol) beer and tune in an episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

Once it was finished, it was around 11:30 p.m., and both of us felt that it was time to call an end to our day.

I wasn't in bed till a little after midnight ─ six or eight minutes after.

Sleep was typical. It had become sufficiently broken that I finally wondered at and checked the time around 4:00 a.m. I gave a return to sleep a shot, but decided to give it up at 4:30 a.m. and rose to get busy on the new post I have been working on at Lawless Spirit, one of my six hosted websites. 

With the work I was to put into it this morning, its word total exceeded 17,900 words ─ yet I know that I could easily have continued for another week or more and doubled that figure.

However, I cannot possibly be spending a score of days nor even a fortnight on one solitary post, so I had to call it quits and publish it: Holistic Pain Medication II

If there was money to be had in extending my work on a single post, then that would be a different matter.

Mark and even at least one of my two stepsons were up by the time I was done with the post.

And perhaps no later than 10:30 a.m., I returned to bed for a nap. I had been up for about six hours ─ considerably longer than the time I had spent in bed overnight.

Yet I only managed to spend ─ at most ─ two hours in bed in pursuit of two or three fragments of naps.

I have many photos to post today, but first I want to link to an article I read today concerning the health benefits of olive oil. It complements nicely a health claim I posted about yesterday concerning moderate alcohol drinking ─ both have been found able to facilitate the brain's essential cleansing, for its cells are subject to various sorts of toxic 'build-up' just as are other body cells.

This is the olive oil article:


As the article elucidates, the problem with olive oil is that commercial sources are mostly subject to very warranted suspicion where quality or even authenticity are concerned.

I doubt that it is possible to buy quality and genuine olive oil at an inexpensive price ─ there is too much short-cutting, carelessness, and outright fraud in the olive oil marketing industry. 

The authour of the article says he pays about $20 (U.S.) for a bottle of the brand he buys. I sure cannot afford to be doing that on my monthly pension ─ especially since his $20 would equate to at least $25 in my Canadian funds.

Consequently, I am not even going to try and incorporate olive oil into my regimen of healthy dietary products ─ I just cannot afford to. Not if I want assured, legitimate, non-rancid, and pure olive oil. 

Incidentally, keeping on with the health-related topic, I managed to get in my afternoon session of exercise out in the backyard tool shed. But I never felt up to tackling it until after 4:30 p.m.

And even that was after watching an episode of Steve Austin's Broken Skull Challenge. This episode featured eight women.

The finalist who got to take on the Broken Skull Challenge wasn't someone I had much belief in, but she got farther than I expected.

What was so impressive about this was the fact that at a height of six feet and one inch, she weighed in at 188 pounds!

I'm sure she ─ Emily ─ doesn't spend all that much time focusing on doing things like chin-ups, so the fact that she could haul around her bodyweight at all was definitely impressive, and I found myself rooting for the young woman.

Anyway, after my exercises, I weighed at least 193 pounds (dressed as I had been while working out), at a height of about five feet and 10¾ inches.

What kept me from tackling the exercise today was my dread of the four sets of pull-ups, but they did not prove to be any more difficult than normal. I just don't happen to feel too robust today.

Okay, the photos.

I will lead off with a selection of some I downloaded from Facebook posts that my wife Jack put up today ─ she is over in Thailand on an extended holiday to visit her mother.

I suspect that the photos were not all taken today, for she is wearing at least three different tops.

I think all of the gardening shots were taken right around the front of her family home, which is in the large village of Nong Soong, roughly a 15-minute drive from the city of Udon Thani.

She also posted some photos of herself getting her hair styled ─ the result looked to me rather like a Geisha effect. I will lead with the two photos I selected, both of which show the end result:

And these are the gardening-related photos ─ they are all selfies:

Now let's check out some current snow photos that I took today. Remember, here in my part of Surrey, I do not believe that we even had one incident of frost the entire month of January.

So how it is that this type of weather showed up as of last Saturday evening sure as heck beats and annoys me.

I took this first set of four photos early this morning fairly soon after getting up. It was actually 6:50 a.m., and I was looking out of the living room window and toward the cul-de-sac we live in:

Google actually went ahead and created a panorama using those four photos:

I didn't waste time in taking some photos of the backyard, too ─ this batch ranges from 6:50 a.m. through to 6:52 a.m.:

Google also used a few of those to create a second panorama:

Apparently back in 2014 at this point in the year, we also had snow. I neglected to post this collage of old photos of mine pertaining to February 23 (yesterday) back in that year, so I will do so now:

These are the original photos, leading off with the left column:

I think those are the correct photos.

There is also a Google collage created today to commemorate this very day in 2014:

And these should be the original photos, again beginning with the left column:

So clearly this week is not at all without precedence, feel however I might about it.

My evening is well underway, so I want to wrap up this post and get to a movie ─ and a can or two of strong beer.

Thus, here to bottom out today's post is an old journal entry of mine from 41 years ago when I was 27 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting in a private home located on Ninth Street [Google map], and two houses up from Third Avenue.

The previous day's journal entry was very short ─ it left off stating that I was leaving my room at 4:20 a.m. to hike a 10-kilogramme (22-pound) sack of whole wheat flour out to the duplex unit that my younger brother Mark was renting in Surrey.

He was living a reasonably short distance down Semiahmoo Road [Google map] from where it departs Old Yale Road. 

I knew that I would be struggling with that sack of flour, so I wanted to make the hike in the dark so as to be less conspicuous to the public.

I was probably going to leave the flour with Mark to eventually drive over to our mother's home, not three miles farther on.

Regardless, it was my plan not to hang around at Mark's suite, but to make the trip to her home because it was my main mailing address.

The little house that she and her husband Alex Dorosh shared in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey no longer exists, but its address was 12106 - 90th Avenue [Google map].   
THURSDAY, February 24, 1977

The day is only a half hour old, and I've walked home from Mark's.

I didn't go along the King George yestermorn, but held to Roebuck (132nd St) [Google map].

The night ─ as tonight ─ was clear and cold, but I got in quite a bit of jogging after changing into my runners at Mark's truck.

My mail awaiting at mom's included a $4 money order refund for out of stock Flame Ceremony 8¢ stamps (Olympics), but a pane apiece of Royal Military College (8¢) and United States Bicentennial (10¢) stamps.

And in today's mail I received my Provincial Lottery ticket from Victoria, and a letter from dear Terri [Terri Martin, a U.S. pen-pal I had].

Mark came over to mom's, so I never did get a chance to walk in the all-day sunshine.

After he went to work [afternoon / evening shift], I napped briefly, then watched and lost the Western Express Lottery with my 10 - $1 tickets (I did have 235 instead of 635 for $25).

I watched TV till 11:00 p.m.

The phone rang on 2 occasions, but I never answered. I guess I should have.

I'll retire at 12:55 a.m.


I arose 7:25 a.m.

I laundered, spending 60¢ on literature.

I completed my letter to Jean [Jean M. Martin née Black, another U.S. pen-pal I had].

I then visited Manpower, mailed Jean's letter and bought a $10 money order for stamps at the Post Office, and spent $1.64 at Safeway.

I had just finished cooking 3 hamburgers when Bill [my old friend William Alan Gill] knocked.

I assisted him fill out his U.I. claims (I saw him parking at U.I. when I earlier headed downtown).

After eating I went to Woodward's for 3 lbs honey ($3.75), and at National Meats I bought $4.53 of beef liver (49¢ lb).

It's fairly sunny.

It may be worth noting that yestermorn's pre-meal weight was 188 [pounds].

I did not feel like it, but deep into the afternoon I set off for Mark's, where I bathed, watched some TV, and supped.

I left, uneagerly, at 8:00 p.m. for home.

Bed at 9:25 p.m.
I walked a heck of a lot in my earlier adult life!

I expect that the morning prior when I took the flour to Mark's duplex unit, I just left it there and did not visit ─ he was probably still in bed. I may even have just left the flour in the bed of his pickup, for he had a canopy or camper shell covering the whole of it.

I must have worn boots to get there; and then I changed into my runners and got in the jogging while on my way over to my mother's home.

The stamps I wrote much of were commemoratives. I wasn't a collector ─ I just liked to have the fancy stamps for my mailings, for I sent off a lot of mail.

I was visiting Mark's suite with crazy regularity over the past few months ─ I may even have been spending more time there than at my own room. Part of the reason was that my room was so stark ─ I never even had a telephone hooked up.

But there was also the opportunity for all of that walking exercise.

I finally left his suite that previous evening (February 23) while he was still at work and hiked on back to my own room to record the day's happenings, and then got myself to bed.

On this new day (February 24), I had my laundry to do ─ I laundered at a laundromat located up on Sixth Avenue very near to the public library. Generally, I tried to get there as soon around 8:00 a.m. as I could, for that was when its door would automatically unlock.

The federal department of Manpower and Immigration was where people went to check out the latest job postings, and to apply for Unemployment Insurance (U.I.) like my friend Bill was doing.

I was on U.I. myself.

As for Bill, he had a job, but he had to take sick leave in order to have gastric bypass surgery. He was newly released from the hospital, and as yet unable to return to work.

Apparently Bill didn't visit me too long.

And after all of my errands thus far that day, I somehow forced myself to make the return hike all the way back out to Mark's duplex suite just for the challenge. I bathed there because I only had access to a shower at my room ─ I have always preferred bathing.

Mark was away to work by then, of course.

Then around 8:00 p.m., I hiked all the way back to my room, calling it a day and getting to bed not quite 1½ hours after leaving Mark's suite.

Alright, back to the present. I think I just may tune in a Christmas movie once I have proofread and published this blog post.
Post a Comment