.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Sunday, March 18, 2018

A Somewhat Hungover Sunday

My selection for a movie last evening was Terminator Genisys, a movie I had passed on a few times before in recent weeks because I was unsure if I had seen it or not.

I had the T.V. to myself ─ my younger brother Mark was staying at the home of his girlfriend Bev.

There was action enough to keep me interested over the beginning, but it was not until maybe 30 to 40 minutes into the movie that I started getting affected emotionally. Specifically, it was when Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor travel in time from 1984 to 2017.

That was when I began to feel some attachment to the characters.

Also, during most of that earlier part, I had been eating my supper, so there was of course distraction at play.

I had brought out two cans of strong (8% alcohol) beer to enjoy in the event that I wanted a second can, but ultimately I ended up having three cans ─ the movie ran about two hours.

I definitely enjoyed the show.

I am foggy now on just when it was that I made it to bed, but it was certainly around midnight.

Perhaps the beer helped me to have a longer initial block of sleep than I might otherwise have gotten; but the point arrived in my morning when I felt awake enough to wonder on the time. Also, I was into a bit of a hangover.

It was long after 5:00 a.m. ─ again, the actual time escapes my recollection. I felt rough, but I decided to rise and get to work on the post I started work upon yesterday at Lawless Spirit, one of my six hosted websites.

I put in an average morning's work on it, and also got involved tweaking the Yoast SEO plugin I installed yesterday.

I even tried following a tutorial at OnlineMediaMasters.com titled The Ideal Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin Settings: And Complete Guide To Optimizing WordPress Sites With Yoast that was last updated this very day.

However, I had to quit after reaching the section detailing how to have Lawless Spirit authenticated by both Bing and Yandex (I already had it authenticated long ago by Google).

The problem with Bing and Yandex is that as far as I can tell, I entered the correct coding into the two respective fields at Bing and Yoast; but now well over three hours later, neither search engine is yet willing to authenticate Lawless Spirit

And I am unprepared to proceed any further with the tutorial until the website has been authenticated by them. Why bother, if none of the tweaking will register with them because they so not "see" my website?

Anyway, by the time I had given up on that chore, my younger brother Mark had been home for some while, and my youngest stepson Poté had risen and gone to work.

I returned to bed considerably ahead of noon, and I was probably down for well over an hour ─ I had a great nap. And when I emerged from my bedroom, I found that Mark was shut up into his own room.

My eldest stepson Tho was finally up from bed, though.

This past week, Poté had indicated to me that he wanted me to complete his tax return for him. He had already found out from a professional tax preparer that he would be owing tax back.

It seemed to me that Poté had quoted something like $400, but my accounting finds him to be owing something over $600.

This makes me unsure ─ could I maybe have missed something in my calculations, and committed quite a major error?

I won't go over the whole thing yet again until I consult with him ─ perhaps I misunderstood him. Or maybe the tax preparer had simply given a "best guess," and had not actually done any kind of work to come up with the $400 figure. 

It is even possible that Poté had been told that he was going to owe over $400 ─ which my figure definitely is. So I may well be correct.

Whilst I was working on Poté's tax return, Mark emerged from his bedroom. And around 1:05 p.m. or so, he headed away for the afternoon, and will sooner or later wind up in "the bar." 

I was soon to commence work on this post; and then I had myself a lie-down so as to rest my eyes and try to find the resources to get out to the backyard tool shed for a session of exercising.

It proved to be very comfortable there in bed, and eventually I had to force a rally or else I would just loll away the afternoon.

I did finally get out to the shed after going outside shortly after 3:30 p.m. By then, an overcast morning ─ there had even been some light rain ─ had made way for a mix of cloud and blue sky.

The exercising was just average in performance, but at least I got it done.

Yesterday I had hoped to get out today for one or another errand, but my hangover scotched that scheme. However, none of the shopping I had intended was essential.   

I am going to take the time now to post a few photos that resulted when my wife Jack went on holiday earlier this year to visit her mother back in the family home in Nong Soong, a very large village perhaps a 15-minute drive from the city of Udon Thani.

Early into that visit, she took five family members with her on a flight to Bali in order to reunite with her two sons, who had taken a couple of weeks off work for this purpose.

I weary of explaining every day just why the reunion was in Bali, or how it was Jack was able to afford this venture, so I am not going to bother. 

You will have to find the description beneath this first photo sufficient ─ it is from the Google Plus album where I have the Bali photos filed:

Bali, Indonesia ─ January 27, 2018

That is my wife Jack at the right wearing the shorts. Her sister Lumpoon is at the far left, and Lumpoon's husband is directly behind Jack.

Between the sisters is their mother; and behind the senior is Jack's youngest son Poté.

Jack had flown herself and five family members from Thailand to Bali in order to have a reunion with her two sons, for the eldest of the two brothers cannot go to Thailand for military conscription reasons.

It was back in 2009 that the boys had last been in Thailand to visit their family there.
After Jack and her family members had returned to Thailand ─ and the two boys returned here to Canada ─ there was to be a wedding of Lumpoon's daughter.

These photos on that day depict the bride and groom probably being blessed by a few monks ─ I am guessing that this was happening in Nong Soong:

In this next photo, I suspect that the two young ladies are the equivalent of bridesmaids. I cannot identify the lass at the left, but the one in the centre is married to Mark, the brother of the bride:

Google created this collage of three of the photos taken that day ─ the bride looks very beautiful at the bottom left:

I will add two further photos ─ both feature the young lady I was unable to identify, but whom I suspect was the equivalent of a bridesmaid.

I should also add here that the photographer was Mark, the bride's brother:

Well, it is presently within a half-hour of turning 6:00 p.m., and my younger brother Mark may be showing up at any time. Thus, I had better wrap up this post with an old journal entry of mine from 41 years ago when I was 27 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.  

I was renting the small unit in a private home located on Ninth Street [Google map], and two houses up from Third Avenue.

I see that I had a hike planned to get away to my younger brother Mark's duplex unit that he was renting in Surrey. He was living a reasonably short distance down Semiahmoo Road [Google map] from where it leads off from Old Yale Road.

In recent months, I was at his suite so regularly that I practically lived there myself, for I had access whether or not he was home.

I wrote in the previous day's journal entry that I was making it to bed at 12:30 a.m.
FRIDAY, March 18, 1977

I arose sleepily at 7:10 a.m.

I got my exercises done early, and typed up Jean a letter I'll mail her tonight. 

[Jean M. Martin née Black was an American pen-pal I had back then.] 

Apparently the landlady has better things to do than be home to deliver my mail (my I.U. ─ U.I., I mean); I won't be able to cash it now till Tuesday.

I'm leaving for Mark's at 12:50 p.m.


Clouds ruled the sky, but did not deny the sun some sway.

Around 3:00 p.m. I began a big meal; my breakfast, actually.

About 4:45 p.m. while I was into my bath, the phone rang. 

It rang later after I had finished. This time it was dad, reporting that Al had died.

[Alfred was my father Hector's oldest brother, and was 57 years old. Their only other brother, George, had died in 1965 at the age of 33.]

He wants to hear from Mark & I re transportation for the funeral, whenever this is set.

The old guy was affected, judging by his voice at one point.

Not long after, one of our aunts (Marian likely) phoned to see if Mark had received the message from his father; I let her retain the illusion I was merely a friend or someone, for she obviously did not know I, too, was a relative.

I told Mark the news when he got home.

That evening, as a result of his being home, I was made to answer the phone and so receive an invitation to come over; she & Chris also made Mark the offer. He accepted.

[I don't actually name who "she" was, but it was my ex-girlfriend, 20-year-old Melody St. Jean and her new live-in boyfriend Chris. They were renting an apartment or something not a mile from where Mark was living.]

Then came knocking.

Damn! It was Al & Marie and Dave wanting us to go to Nell's [my maternal Aunt Nell Halverson and large household] new place with them. On the morrow is a house warming party.

[Al & Marie Varga were a couple we knew who had an apartment in New Westminster. I liked them well enough ─ I just hated getting trapped into going out drinking because I could ill afford it, but I never had the guts to tell anyone I was not interested in going out.] 

Thus, victim to Al's wheedling, I went with them, while Mark went to see Chris & Melody.

I got a goodly number of beers put into me, mostly cause of [cousin] Bruce (also present were Donna [Bruce's new wife], Jock [John Halverson, Bruce's younger brother], Larry [Larry Ernest Blue was like another of the family], & Duck [Don Fraser, a long-time Halverson family friend]; Timmy [Tim Halverson, the youngest of the brothers] came down a few times). 

And was forced to remain behind when Al's group left.

Mark did not appear, and I was expected to stay the night.

Perhaps around 3:00 a.m., when sole survivor Jock went off to bed, I sneaked away.

I was at least a couple blocks down Townline [96th Avenue] and bound for Mark's when I happened to look back and see a truck like Mark's pull toward Nell's, so I ran back. 

It was him, with Chris & Melody; Mel pounded on the doors even though I stated no one was home, but no response forthcame (beyond an annoyed observation heard from Nell that the company was for downstairs). 

[Apparently the partiers had been drinking downstairs, while Nell and her common-law husband Earl had retired upstairs, and were "benefiting" from Melody's door-banging. But they were far too annoyed to answer the pounding.]  

Chris & Mel were driven home, and I went with Mark.

Then his phone rang; it was Melody. She wanted to meet me at IGA for fun & games, claiming Chris was passed out abed.

I was tempted. But he revived, and for a long while I was conversing with Melody after answering many rings from her as a result of Chris' disconnecting the line. 

They at last retired.

I set off for my place, then noticed Jean's letter was missing. Was it back on Townline near Nell's? I knew I had to find it, but hadn't the energy. So I laid [sic] upon the couch to sleep till dawn.


I awoke nigh 7:30 a.m.

I vacillated on what to do. Then, flooding with relief, I found the letter part-way down the side of the chair by the phone.

I left for my place, mailing the letter.

I retired about 8:40 a.m.; the morning was beautifully sunny, though I felt abused and suffered dyspepsia.

My U.I. cheque was outside my suite door in a box not used before; $146.
There was a female tenant upstairs ─ perhaps she had sorted the mail, and left my cheque where best she thought my mail should be left.

It was quite the evening and night!

For many years back then, I felt so weak when it came to refusing to go out with anyone. I didn't have much money, and I also was quite fitness-oriented ─ I hated getting drunk and losing the following day because of how ill I was feeling.

Too, I just hated having to get drunk just because it was convenient for someone else to use me for company ─ I didn't mind drinking, but I preferred not to have to be doing it without the occasion being planned.

Well, Mark arrived home around 6:00 p.m. this unexpectedly sunny late afternoon / early evening.
Post a Comment