.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Monday, March 12, 2018

Vitamin D3 Supplementation Is "Worse Than Worthless" Without Ample Magnesium

I was a little annoyed with myself for having a second can of strong (8% alcohol) beer last evening, as well as for sitting up until nearly midnight with my younger brother Mark watching T.V.

Now that he is newly retired, he does not need to get to bed quite as early as he used to.

Incidentally, my youngest stepson Poté had arrived home in the evening after spending the weekend at Whistler with a group of others. One member of the group belongs to a family in possession of a cabin up there, so no rental costs for accommodation were involved.

Poté's girlfriend also came home with him, and she seemed to be doing an inordinate amount of talking. Even Mark commented to me about it, saying that is seemed to him to be one-sided conversation, for Poté could scarcely be heard saying anything.

Mark wondered to me if the girlfriend was maybe into a tirade of criticism.

They both were probably still watching a movie on a laptop while lying in his bed when I went to bed just ahead of midnight.

However, as usual, she was gone this morning when I rose for the day.

My night was another of considerably broken sleep. In fact, after an initial block of sleep, I was awake enough again to care to check the time at 2:00 a.m.

I also felt a little unpleasant ─ I do believe that I may have been experiencing a slight hangover. In truth, I did drink that second can of beer in short order right after finishing the first can.

But I napped anew, and then checked the time around 3:00 a.m.

And so it went.

I never felt hale enough to rise early to begin working on the post I am compiling at Siam-Longings, one of my six hosted websites.

With a final time-check at 6:04 a.m., I rose for the day. My eldest stepson Tho was downstairs readying for work; and after about 10 minutes, had left.

His younger brother Poté had a much later start. He never left for work until after Mark was already up and downstairs, for I heard Poté and Mark exchange farewells.

At that point in the mid-morning I was just about finished an average morning's effort at content-supply to the Siam-Longings post.

Normally I would possibly have sought a nap ─ or maybe even readied and gone forth to do some local grocery shopping this largely sunny day.

But as I feared might become my fate now that Mark is retired and killing time all morning, he besought me to select something to watch via our Android TV Box.

As soon as Mark had gone downstairs after emerging from his bedroom, and began making his day's first instant coffee, he had turned on the T.V.

We only receive newspapers on the weekend, so he had nothing to occupy himself with., and he quickly became bored because we only have basic cable television.

And so I became locked into watching three episodes of T.V. series we follow. Mark has not operated the Android TV Box in possibly 1½ years or more, so its intricacies are now foreign to him.

By then we were into the noon-hour, so he called it off in order to go and "stretch out for awhile."

I could have done similar, but I wanted to get my shed exercising out of the way. And then I had to chop up some beets (and their stalks) along with a clump of celery to get them set up for fermentation.

As I worked on that chore, Mark was back downstairs, and soon to leave for the afternoon.

My wife Jack had said this past Friday that she would be home again from Vancouver at some point today, so I felt that I had best get this blog post underway in case she shows up this afternoon.

And that is essentially where I am in the day at precisely 2:55 p.m. as I type these words.

I am rather dreading losing my mornings to Mark, for they are all the time that I have in which to work on my website posts, and to have any catch-up naps following bad nights of sleep.

My afternoons belong to the daily posts that I tend to make in this blog.

Perhaps my only out is going to be to train Mark into how to use the Android TV Box again; or at least to set things up for him to be able to watch a movie, and we can leave our T.V. series for evening watching.

Speaking of sunshine, once the truly sunny weather is here, I will be cutting down on the amount of vitamin D3 I currently take. I try to take 3,000 I.U.s twice a day.

On days when it is possible for me to sit outside and soak up the sunshine as I seek to tan, I don't take any vitamin D3 supplements at all.

I read an informative article today that stressed how those of us who do take these vitamin D3 supplements need to ensure that we are also ingesting ample amounts of magnesium.

Not only does vitamin D3 prove of far lesser benefit without magnesium, but the vitamin can even cause calcium to accumulate in the walls of our blood vessels.

Inform yourself:


This is the reference that was cited at the end of the article, but not linked to:

Science Daily.com

I have no doubt that I am getting all the magnesium that I might possibly need. With supplementation alone, I try to ensure that I take a 250-milligramme tablet of magnesium twice a day ─ i.e., each time I have a meal.

So clearly I am surpassing the recommendation in the first article to supplement with "300 to 400 mg" daily.

In checking out the batch I am currently taking, the magnesium is reportedly a combination of oxide, malate, and glycerophosphate.

Entirely changing topics now, my wife Jack had a Thailand holiday earlier this year to visit her mother and other family members at the family home in Nong Soong, a large village perhaps a 15-minute drive from the city of Udon Thani.

Jack has two sisters, one of whom is Lumpoon:

The photo was apparently taken on the morning of January 26 at Don Muang International Airport.

Lumpoon's daughter was to marry during my wife Jack's visit ─ this photo was taken early in the morning of February 25, the bride's wedding day:

That is of course the daughter who was to wed that day.

Since for all I know my wife Jack may be showing up at any time this afternoon, I am going to bring this post to a close with an old journal entry of mine from 41 years ago when I was 27 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting the accommodation in a private home located on Ninth Street [Google map], and two houses up from Third Avenue. 

My previous entry in that journal was two days earlier, and I wrote that I was leaving my room a little after 2:00 p.m. to hike out to the duplex unit that my younger brother Mark was renting in Surrey.

The duplex was a reasonably short distance down Semiahmoo Road [Google map] from where it detaches from Old Yale Road.

I had been spending nights at Mark's duplex with great regularity over the past few months.

I am expecting that this latest journal entry will update concerning anything that I felt was important enough to mention that had occurred over the previous two days.
SATURDAY, March 12, 1977

Bill [my old friend William Alan Gill] revealed to me Thursday that he'd won $25 in the Western Express Lottery the night before; his number was the 132 I missed out on.

[Bill was sharing an apartment in Surrey with my ex-girlfriend Melody St. Jean and her new boyfriend Chris.]

Later that night after Mark & I had retired, he called to say he was at his mother's and going to spend the night there. He said he'd gone to his place, and after about an hour he told Melody he was going to bed. Then, opening his bedroom door, he found Floyd [Melody & Chris's young doberman] within, and 4 piles of dung plus piss. So he blew up and he & Melody had a fight.

Friday I of course went to mom's [my mother Irene Dorosh lived just under three miles from Mark's suite ─ her home was my main mailing address].

There were 5 tickets there from Wednesday's draw, none coming close.

I weighed in at 188 [pounds], but look unusually proportioned (my weight training?).

Nell's bunch [my maternal Aunt Nell Halverson and her huge household] is moving to 95-A Ave. in about the same block as mom lives (121 hundred).

On my way back to Mark's, at Safeway I bought $7.74 of groceries (saving about 40¢ on the Woodward's price of a large jar of peanut butter and a can of Love's honey).

Mel phoned me, crying her version of Thursday night with Bill; she was at Judy's [Melody's older sister] cause Bill came home with his mother, and they chased Chris & Mel out.

[This makes me laugh now after all of these many years! Anne Gregory could be a most fearsome woman when roused, and her son Bill was her world. And note that Bill was 30 years old, but needed to get his mother to sic on his two roommates!]

I agreed to go over with her later when she was prepared to return home. 

Meanwhile Bill phoned, wanting my assistance moving his few bulky furnishings; he was moving out.

It developed that he didn't have too much to take (he left the large items in a storage shed), but because of the way he & his mother dally, and a trip to Alex' [Alex Dorosh, my mother's husband] for Melody's TV which Bill left when he went in for his operation [gastric bypass surgery] last month, a couple hours had easily passed.

It was nearing 7:00 p.m. when I was let off at Mark's and he & mother set off for Nell's to see if some of Bill's stuff could be stored with them temporarily; else, it would end up at my place.

Mark came home early, and an hour later had departed for fun & games in Coquitlam with Murray & Lynn [the couple are now forgotten by me]

He'd no sooner gone out the door than Bill & mother returned; the stuff had to be in my care, for Nell's household was packing up for their move. 

Fortunately, it took scant space at my joint. And Bill bought me 2 Big Macs & 3 apple turnovers.

That night after retiring, I was abruptly awakened by persistent knocking from Melody (she even called thru Mark's bedroom window); Chris was with her. It must have been near 3:00 a.m.

They had a case of beer, and I had a bottle while giving an ear to their side of the trouble with Bill & his mother.

The good thing is everyone is content with the removal.

They stayed till long past 4:00 a.m., though this was Melody's doing, for Chris wanted her to go. She was most obvious about wanting to stay.

In leaving, she gave me her hand in a token awkward shake as she has done in the past.

I soon after set off for my place. I met Mark on the Old Yale hill, and brought the drunken lad up to date.

I got home about 5:30 a.m., and shall now be sacking out at 6:10 a.m.


I gave up trying to sleep beyond 11:10 a.m., but sure need it.

Later, I spent time finishing a letter to Jean [Jean M. Martin (née Black), a U.S. pen-pal I had] to be mailed later this pleasant, but cold, day. It's been mostly sunny throughout.

I'm getting a late start for Mark's (4:45 p.m.).

I found a cent yesterday and 1 the day before; why not dimes!? 
The "Old Yale hill" was a steep stretch of Old Yale Road just to the left of 128th Street as seen on this Google map. I would have followed Old Yale Road as far as the railway tracks just beyond 125-B Street [Google map], and then turned right onto the tracks and hiked over to Scott Road. From there, I would have turned right and headed over to the Pattullo Bridge and crossed over into New Westminster. 

I think that Melody and Chris may have had two dobermans by this time, and nothing seemed to be getting done about house-training the beasts. 

I expect that the older dog was shut up into Bill's room because Melody and / or Chris didn't want to be dealing with it.

This may have been the second month that Bill was staying with the couple.

Apparently the suite Melody & Chris rented absolutely reeked of dog feces and piss, and probably required considerable rehabilitation when they moved away after breaking up in the near future.

To the present now ─ my eyes need some rehabilitation, so I am going to have a good lie-down in me bed!
Post a Comment