.dropcap {float:left; color:#4791d2; font-size:75px; line-height:60px; padding-top:4px; padding-right:8px; padding-left:3px; font-family:Georgia}

Google+ Followers


Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Diseases from Ticks and Mosquitoes Becoming Widespread in the U.S.

For the second consecutive evening, last night my wife Jack preceded me to bed after she had worked the day at her friend Fanta's Thai restaurant in Langley.

She had left especially early that morning ─ apparently to become involved in some manner of workout instigated by Fanta.

My own bedtime last night must have been darned near 1:00 a.m. For a change it did not matter to me that my younger brother Mark was keeping me up into the midnight hour, for Jack had remained up very late herself and consequently I was content to wait her out.

She actually snacked and watched much of the premiere episode of a series I was trying out called Freakish. Mark and I only sat up and watched one more show after it ─ a comedy.

After I had gotten to bed, Jack got up and went downstairs just briefly for whatever reason it may have been.

Anyway, it was a typical night for me, I suppose. When I checked the time this morning at some point after 5:00 a.m., I got myself up, despite feeling very short on sleep.

My eldest stepson Tho didn't get up early for work. He was not to bother getting up until at least mid-morning, and then headed away.

His younger brother Poté apparently never had to work today; and I think that Poté must have had his girlfriend Aneet here to sleep with, even though her vehicle didn't seem to be anywhere outside.

The morning was heavily overcast ─ there was even a weak attempt to shower some rain. Yet by midday it had warmed and cleared up, and the afternoon was mostly sunny.

I involved myself with setting up a new post at my website Amatsu Okiya. I still have a little further work to do on it, but I am hopeful that I will finish the setup and actually begin adding content to it tomorrow morning.

Mark had told me last night that he was going to have to get up early enough this morning to pick up his girlfriend Bev shortly after 9:00 a.m. to take her over to Surrey Memorial Hospital for some testing.

She takes medication for high blood pressure, but apparently her doctor became so dissatisfied with her progress yesterday that he prescribed this visit to the hospital's emergency section for the tests.

Unfortunately for Jack, I had to disturb her when it was time for Mark to leave ─ Jack had parked her car directly in front of his van (the vehicles were nose-to-nose).

When I entered the bedroom, she was aware, and complained of how badly her body was hurting ─ I expect that this was due to whatever exercise activity she got herself involved in the previous morning.

I was happy to leave the poor thing in bed to recover as much as she could. She would be working again today, but would not start until the late afternoon at her friend Ui's Thai restaurant in Vancouver.

Mark went and discharged his errand, and returned smartly ─ he was not about to sit around at the hospital just waiting for Bev. It would be no problem for him to be summoned later to come and pick her up ─ as the crow flies, we only live about six blocks from the hospital.

While he was away, it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't thought about having my session of exercising in the backyard tool-shed, so I had to tend to that obligation. When I came back into the house, it was to find Mark back home.

Last week I had learned of a British T.V. series called Line of Duty ─ I believe that it was actress Vicky McClure from the series who was one of the guests on a 2017 episode of The Graham Norton Show that Mark and I watched last week, and she was sufficiently interesting that I kept her series in mind to give it a try.

We watched the very first episode this morning ─ excellent! The episode even seemed to feature the Black chap who wields the fighting stick on The Walking Dead ─ I had no idea that the actor on that latter series was British.   

And writing about him just now makes me want to research him, so here goes....

And I was right ─ actor Lennie James who plays the staff-wielding character Morgan Jones on The Walking Dead is indeed British, and he evidently had a major role in the first season (or series) of Line of Duty!

I intend to stick with the British series throughout ─ it's very good.

That first episode finished for Mark and I around 11:00 a.m., and he then announced that he was going to rest in his room. However, I doubt that he managed to get to sleep ─ Bev phoned him to come and collect her and take her home.

He dutifully left to do that.

Then Jack finally got up ─ and the poor girl is limping around quite gingerly today! 

But she wanted to get out and do some shopping at Henlong Market, so she left to do that, and was actually gone quite some time.

As I passed time here alone, Poté rose, and soon he drove off. At the time, I had been lying in bed with my eyes covered, willing to fall into a nap if it happened.

Poté's departure inspired me to go downstairs, and I was in the dining room when I noticed someone hustling up the stairs to the upstairs bathroom ─ initially I just assumed it to be one of my stepsons, and then immediately I realized the improbability of that.

It could only have been Aneet, Poté's girlfriend.

This is a first ─ she apparently feels comfortable enough about being here that she has begun using the upstairs bathroom now instead of the toilet in the boys' den area.

I also think that this is the first time that she has been in the house without Poté being present. He probably only ducked out to buy them some coffee somewhere.

But I was not happy about this development. Is she soon going to be showering here like Poté's previous girlfriend Priyanka?

Sure, Aneet has been coming here for maybe a half-year or more. Nevertheless, I have yet to have a conversation with her ─ in fact, we have only exchanged a "Hi" on a few occasions, and not a word more than that.

Poté ─ who has not paid a thing towards the monthly mortgage nor any of the utilities bills since 2016 ─ has no bloody right in my mind to be granting any girlfriend of his such familiarity to our home. 

I have no doubt that I will be heaving more to say about this in future posts.

This annoyance was sufficient to send me out into the backyard to perform a chore in very jerrybuilt fashion; and when I returned into the house, I found Mark to be back home. Poté was, too.

I think that maybe Aneet had to work this afternoon. And since she had no vehicle of her own here, Poté was to take her away, and soon enough was back alone.

It was not too long before Mark disappeared into his bedroom to again seek a nap; and soon, Jack was back. She immediately became involved in cooking up a few dishes to leave us before she had to make her drive into Vancouver.

She left maybe 3:20 p.m. Mark had left for the afternoon considerably before that ─ and I trust that he managed to get in a nap, for he was in his bedroom some while.

He let Jack know (upon her asking him) that Bev has merely had her medication adjusted, and that she will definitely "live to drink another day."

I never did get my own nap. I will see what rest I can derive once this post is finished and published, and before I become involved in evening T.V.-watching with Mark.

Jack will not be back until tomorrow evening after she again works at Fanta's restaurant that day in Langley.


I would love to live in a wilderness setting, and maybe in some enhanced log-style structure.

But in recent years I have become very conscious of what a threat ticks are becoming in so many areas of North America. The damned things seemed so remote in my thinking back in the 1960s and 1970s when I was a teen and then in my 20s.

And for anyone living in tick territory, woe to the person with poor vision such as have I!

I read the following article about ticks and mosquitoes ─ and the diseases that they can harbour ─ just this afternoon:


And this was the article that was referenced but not linked to:


It has gotten to the point where I cannot even imagine living alone in tick country ─ performing a thorough self-examination would be impossible.

And it wouldn't even be necessary to go outdoors ─ eventually, ticks will find their way into any cabin or home.

I had never thought about it before, but even a tropical country like Thailand has these darned disease-causing parasites. Check out this anecdotal piece at PattayaUnlimited.com that was published just over a year ago on May 1, 2017: Vile Disgusting Ticks.

How discouraging!

My wife Jack paid a visit to her family home village in Thailand earlier this year, for she was missing her mother.

No, this has nothing to do with ticks ─ I just want to post a half-dozen photos of Jack's niece who got married on February 25 while Jack was visiting.

The niece (whose name I do not know) is the daughter of Lumpoon, one of Jack's two sisters. And the photographer happened to be Mark, the bride's younger brother:

I believe that it is Lumpoon just beyond the bride in this next photo, for that is definitely Lumpoon's husband who can be seen more clearly to the right of the bride:

There are more photos in this set, but too many posted at once are just boring, aren't they?

I am going to close my post now with this old journal entry of mine from 41 years ago when I was 27 years old, and living in a basement housekeeping unit in New Westminster.

I was renting in a private home located on Ninth Street [Google map], and two houses up from Third Avenue.

My plan for the day was the 1½-hour hike out to the home of my mother Irene Dorosh in the Kennedy Heights area of Surrey. The home she and her husband Alex shared was my main mailing address.

The little house no longer exists, but its address back then was 12106 - 90th Avenue [Google map].

Of late I had been leaving her home after my visit and hiking over to the duplex unit that my younger brother Mark was renting not three miles distant and in the direction of Whalley. He was living on Semiahmoo Road [Google map], and not too very far from where Semiahmoo Road joins with Old Yale Road.
MONDAY, May 16, 1977

I've had more unpleasant dreams; not nightmares. 

I arose about 6:45 a.m.

I am leaving my landlady my notice of moving as I head directly for mom's this cloudy morning at 7:20 a.m.


It tried very hard to rain, but only managed mist.

Mom was getting ready to go over to Nell's, so I was able to read at breakfast, and overate badly, considering I taled almost 194 when I first stepped on the scales (a couple successive tries were a pound or 2 less). 

[My Aunt Nell Halverson was my mother's youngest sister ─ she and her large household lived elsewhere in Surrey.]

A card was there from Terri reporting she wouldn't be leaving yesterday for home for her school spring break.

[Terri Martin was a U.S. pen-pal I had.]

St Joseph's School sent me a pouch of Western Express [Lottery] tickets on credit.

And I learned my MuscleMag International subscription had expired.

When mom returned, she said Bruce was depressed at his lack of visitors at the Vancouver General Hospital

[Bruce Halverson was one of Nell's sons, and he was a little younger than I; he had just recently undergone heart surgery arising from the onset of rheumatic heart disease that struck him down very early in the 1960s. The heart surgery was not his first, alas.] 

At a suggestion from me, mom called Nell and learned Mark & I could use her Rentex pass anytime we wanted to find a house for rent.

[I can't say that I actually remember the name Rentex, but I do vaguely recall that there was some agency people could join to locate rental accommodations that would otherwise be unlisted in places like newspaper advertisements.]

If I am contacted by Bill this week, I may use him to solve this problem, and salve Bruce's too. 

[William Alan Gill was an old friend of mine who was always willing to put himself out if it allowed him to drive his car.]

I left when mom did (to meet Greta at Scott, but Greta came in sight just after we left the yard).

[Greta was a Dutch friend of my mother; she had bused down from her home in Barriere, and would be staying with my mother and Alex for several days. Apparently my mother had intended to wait out on Scott Road so that Greta would notice her and realize where she would have to have the bus stop to let her off, but she seemed to have figured it out on her own.]

Good old mom is going to turn up the pant leg hem of the pants I acquired Friday or whenever.

On my way to Mark's I spent $1.20 at Safeway.

He was not home yet, but wasn't long.

I watched TV with him till 11:00 p.m., then hiked here.

I found a note on my door from the attic tenant; he & his girlfriend learned I plan to move, so would like to view this place, at my convenience, with an eye to taking it over.

I hate the bother.

I see that The Man from Atlantis movie I missed Saturday is on tomorrow, so I may go to Mark's again. 

Bed at 12:35 a.m.

Oh yes, Mark pulled out a bag of marijuana, so I assisted him smoke 3 pipefulls.

One of the ducks, a male, that frequent Friendship Gardens [Google map] obviously got killed tonight on 4th St. shortly before I came by. 
I didn't believe that I had given my landlady any notice of intention to move ─ I was sure that I just moved fly-by-night once Mark and I had somewhere confirmed and available.

I have impressed myself somewhat in reading that I was a little more honourable than I remembered..
Post a Comment